Sponsored by:

Convince me otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I've seen a lot of people misinterpret warm up. They think it means go slow until the green flag and then gradually build up pace. I've been in yellow/red/white groups with people putting around the warm up lap. IMO, the warm up yellow (of course) means no passing - but doesn't mean go "slow." You should be driving the car fairly hard. Temper this with early braking (and brake checks) and traction sensing along the way. I would venture to say you can get within a second of full traction in 1 lap with most tires (of course, depending on the length of the track).

Also, all tires are going to give you audible feedback. Where that happens is different for tire type and manufacturer. Even slicks will give you audible feedback. With respect to Nitto's, they like a lot of slip angle so they talk just about every corner. Almost as much as a street tire. They squeal - a lot. One good thing about the NT-01, when they get over the limit and are on the declining edge of grip, the decline is pretty progressive, so you have a lot of time to catch the car. They are very forgiving and a great learning tire. On the downside, your timing will be slow compared to a tire requiring less slip angle.

-td
TD,

I agree with your comments regarding warm-up laps. I think the DE clubs could do a better job by teaching people proper warm-up etiquette, but it similar to driving on the highway, you always have your lefthand-laners . Chin does not allow passing during the warm-up lap, whereas PBOC appears to allow passing on the warm-up lap. I like having the ability to allow passing on the straits with a point by. I don't enjoy holding up a guy in a Viper with slicks that wants to get some heat in his tires.

Regards, Dave
Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
TD,

Chin does not allow passing during the warm-up lap, whereas PBOC appears to allow passing on the warm-up lap.
What color flag is displayed when PBOC allows passing on a warm up lap?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx
What color flag is displayed when PBOC allows passing on a warm up lap?
Seems like a trick question ... Just checked my video from Winterfest ... White flag.

No mention of passing rules on warm-up lap during PBOC driver's meeting and nothing in registration package.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:47 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seems like a trick question ... Just checked my video from Winterfest ... White flag.

No mention of passing rules on warm-up lap during PBOC driver's meeting and nothing in registration package.
Not a trick question; just peeling the onion one layer at a time. I thought you might say either green or yellow, in which case I would have questioned either the meaning of "warm up" under green, or faithfulness to the meaning of "no passing" under yellow.

But white? Would that imply a full-course green, with a local white to indicate a slower vehicle in front of you? If so, then it would seem that the 1st lap out with this group is a hot lap, and not really a "warm up" lap. You would think that they would cover this kind of thing in the drivers' meeting.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx
Not a trick question; just peeling the onion one layer at a time. I thought you might say either green or yellow, in which case I would have questioned either the meaning of "warm up" under green, or faithfulness to the meaning of "no passing" under yellow.

But white? Would that imply a full-course green, with a local white to indicate a slower vehicle in front of you? If so, then it would seem that the 1st lap out with this group is a hot lap, and not really a "warm up" lap. You would think that they would cover this kind of thing in the drivers' meeting.
I've only run with the PBOC group twice, first time at Daytona and the second time was Winterfest at Sebring. I may be incorrect on my "interpretation" of their passing rules during the warm-up lap, so maybe someone will chime in. PBOC's driver's meeting is fairly light and they do not provide any information in their registration package wrt track rules, such as point-bys and passing zones (solo). Chin Motorsports, on the other hand, does a very comprehensive driver's meeting and they have track maps that clearly indicate passing zones for those groups that require point-bys. Peolple may moan alittle about the 45 minute driver's meeting with Chin, but Chin's dedication to safety is obvious and I applaud Mark Hicks (GM) and his passion for the sport and the safety of those involved.

Regards, Dave

Last edited by Dave 86 930 Fl; 02-21-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:02 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Bob,

While I can appreciate your opinion, I measure my performance based on decreasing my lap times. I have talked with Dave Scott about working with me, but there are some areas I need to work on before I waste his time.

Regards, Dave
While I agree advancing with confidence is the best route, even when I was starting out I would be lucky to get 4 maybe 5 weekends max which equates to 8 to 10 days track time. While the tracks I drive maybe significantly more abrasive......
Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,212 Likes on 1,851 Posts

PBOC's driver's meeting is fairly light and they do not provide any information in their registration package wrt track rules, such as point-bys and passing zones (solo).

Chin Motorsports, on the other hand, does a very comprehensive driver's meeting.

Chin's dedication to safety is obvious and I applaud Mark Hicks (GM) and his passion for the sport and the safety of those involved.

Regards, Dave
+1! Mark and Maria provide the safe, controlled and well structured environment that a majority of my clients enjoy and use to the fullest!

PBOC has a precedent. The passing protocol on practice and qualifying out laps in historic racing in North America allows passing immediately using a white flag condition at each manned corner station to help drivers identify those corner stations. AFAIK, it was Florida steward Bud Merrill who instituted that many, many years ago to prevent clots of traffic behind somebody (or just somebody in a gentle car) that developed on FCY (full course yellow) out laps...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Convince me otherwise