Convince me otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Convince me otherwise

Convince me otherwise

Help me out here. Most folks new to this hobby seem to be in a big hurry to put R-compounds or slicks on their DE car. I've done ~30 track days mostly @ Sebring, but also at Homestead, Watkins Glen and Daytona. I've been running on Kuhmo tires (180 rating) and I've been really happy with them overall. They still have plenty of tread after 15 track days, wear is uniform across the tire, the car is well balanced on the track (OS/US), they talk to me in the corners and they only cost $700 for the entire set. One other thing, I can run in the rain and I look forward to the opportunity because I think it really helps me be a better driver. My lap times continue to go down as I become more comfortable with the capabilities of the car (confidence) and my driving skills.

So, can anyone give me some pros wrt a move up to a R-compound tire? Faster I'm sure, safer? Boost to the ego? I'd like to be convinced, but I need tangibles.

Regards, Dave
Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got the same amount of DE track days as well...Still running street tires as well.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

... give them a try then let us know how you feel. You'll most likely have all the tangible you'll need.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
Convince me otherwise

So, can anyone give me some pros wrt a move up to a R-compound tire? Faster I'm sure, safer? Boost to the ego? I'd like to be convinced, but I need tangibles.

Regards, Dave
What the suspension mods? If you are on stock or near stock suspension then street tires work well. If have a modded suspension then R-tires will be a perfect match since you have plenty of seat time already.

R-tires = more grip more fun in the corners.

However on street suspension with modern R-tires can over power the spring rates and make the car feel like it is rolling more the corners.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
What the suspension mods? If you are on stock or near stock suspension then street tires work well. If have a modded suspension then R-tires will be a perfect match since you have plenty of seat time already.

R-tires = more grip more fun in the corners.

However on street suspension with modern R-tires can over power the spring rates and make the car feel like it is rolling more the corners.
Stock suspension has been replaced with track package from Elephant Racing.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to make the switch because you're not spending nearly as much money as you could be.
It leads to other necessities like alignments, corner balancing, bigger brakes, better shocks, stiffer springs, more supportive seat, cage...ad infinitum.

Stay right where you are.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
You need to make the switch because you're not spending nearly as much money as you could be.
It leads to other necessities like alignments, corner balancing, bigger brakes, better shocks, stiffer springs, more supportive seat, cage...ad infinitum.

Yep, but...
Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums

I've done all of the above, except full cage ... Been actively working at supporting the economy, re-gear for tranny is next biggie. 😳
Old 02-16-2012, 11:43 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One other thing, I can run in the rain and I look forward to the opportunity because I think it really helps me be a better driver.
A DE in the rain is the next best thing to a really good coach in the passenger seat!

In the same vein, even if you do switch to R-comps, an occasional DE on street tires is a good way to keep the R-comps from becoming a crutch. Don't look at your decision as a one-way path.

These pics are from the same day... White wheels = Super Sports; Red wheels = Hoosiers.
Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock suspension has been replaced with track package from Elephant Racing.
Then I suggest R-tires. The stiff suspension is not being fully used with street tires. The car will feel more complete and connected to the track.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Doug007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd stay on street tires until you feel like you want to go racing or just shut up your friends who are bragging about lap times

As long as you are progressing as a driver and the tires aren't holding you back in your skill progression, I'd stick with them. Today's street tires are like race tires 20 years ago so you can just say you're "vintage racing"

I just moved from a street car on street tires to a race car on R-comps and the biggest difference to me is the fun of the higher cornering Gs and how much speed you can carry through the corners vs. having to slow down considerably on street rubber.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At some point, you will drive too hard for street tires. They will overheat and wear excessively, and it will be faster, more fun, and more cost-effective to go to R-compound tires. Any time between now and then is purely your preference, as you have the experience and hardware to take advantage of the additional grip.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

There just is way more grip in the corners with them. They also keep your summer tires from wearing out and keep them in great shape for the street and for the rainy track days.
I had to go to them because my streets would start chunking and the tread was being ripped off after a few sessions.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
At some point, you will drive too hard for street tires. They will overheat and wear excessively, and it will be faster, more fun, and more cost-effective to go to R-compound tires. Any time between now and then is purely your preference, as you have the experience and hardware to take advantage of the additional grip.
BINGO, the first time you "melt" yer streets, or chunk one or find that after two laps their temp is beyond control and you're sliding every corner and getting nowhere fast, you'll know it's time.

Been waiting for this answer.

And when you make the initial R Dot purchase, might as well order two sets!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hold on, I only run Hoosier R's, but that's because I'm racing. I am under the impression though that Hoosiers are very alignment-sensitive and require a different setup, mainly extra camber for stiff outside sidewalls. Therefore, it's not feasible to just switch between tire sets. True?

Quick Reply: Convince me otherwise