Mark Webber in his own words

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:26 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,567 Likes on 2,121 Posts
Default Mark Webber in his own words

Can we put to rest the favoritism conspiracy theory now at Red Bull?

Webber: I clearly got outperformed last year

Mark Webber insists that he is working on the areas that let him down in 2011, and can't wait to get to Melbourne for round one of the 2012 F1 world championship.

Mark Webber admits that he needs to raise his game if he is to have a chance of beating Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel this season, acknowledging that there were several areas in which he was below par in 2011.

Having been a championship contender until the final round of 2010, Webber was hardly a factor last year, eventually lucking into third overall as he won the Brazilian Grand Prix and Jenson Button passed Fernando Alonso for third on the road in the closing stages. The victory, which Webber inherited after his team-mate suffered a 'gearbox problem', was the Australian's only appearance on the top step as he trailed Vettel by 134 points.

With Red Bull reliability not in question, he hasn't suffered a mechanically-induced retirement in two years, Webber knows that he needs to look within to find the answers to overcoming the German in 2012.

“I clearly got outperformed last year, there were areas where I could have done a better job,” he admitted the Melbourne's Sunday Age during a break in testing at Jerez, “You need to be performing and then be self-critical and then keep learning and keep improving. It doesn't matter how much you are winning or how much you are doing, if you are standing still, you are going backwards.”

Although his qualifying performances sometimes let him down, a bigger problem for Webber was the way he got off the line when the red lights went out on Sunday afternoon. For someone who had been known for his good starts, it was something of a surprise to see the Australian struggling to match his rivals on the run to turn one.

“We've done some work on it," he admitted, "They weren't as good as they were in 2010, so needed work. You need to be on top of your game and I wouldn't want it to be any other way."

Team boss Christian Horner made the point that Webber did not seem to be enjoying himself as much last season, and the driver himself concedes that he needed a break before coming back refreshed for another crack at the elusive world title.

“Yeah, it was a tough start to the year, [and] that makes it difficult to roll out of that mid-season," he acknowledged, "Again, it's those old lessons of operating at this level, you know you just have no choice, you've just got to get back on the horse and get on with it.”

The 'break' between racing and testing took Webber back to his native Australia, but included participation in the eponymous Pure Tasmania Challenge.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sure, that means we will just discuss the favoritism conspiracy theory at Ferrari.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

Oris Webber F1 watch. He was instructed to say that.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Sure, that means we will just discuss the favoritism conspiracy theory at Ferrari.
At Ferrari, there is no theory, only fact
Old 02-16-2012, 03:49 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, an F1 pilot taking responsibility for last season. Who would have thunk it?

Certainly not Alonso.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are f$&%ing hopeless!

How is Webber's admission to being outclassed by Vettel have to do with FA and Ferrari?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:05 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,567 Likes on 2,121 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis

How is Webber's admission to being outclassed by Vettel have to do with FA and Ferrari?
That was not the intent of the post. My intent was to disspell the black helicopter, conspiracy theory that some pundits here have that Red Bull was seeing to the following:

Vettel had the:

Better car
Better mechanics
Better set up
Better tires
Better strategy
Better everything.

Besides the fact he hid his shoulder injury from the team in late 2010, Mark Webber seems to be a very straight up kind of guy. If he thought there was any chance he was being slighted, I think he wouldn't have come out with this statement.

As it relates to Alonso and Massa, there is no doubt that Massa is not even close to being on par with FA. Does Ferrari favor ALonso over Massa, yes, but that is logical the way the rules are written and the absolute fact that Massa is not in the same league with Alonso on track.

It's clear that Ferrari want a #2 to support Alonso, but Massa is falling short of that in his performance to the point where he is not an asset to the team unless he can stay on the tail of FA car.

It is my belief that Massa will not be able to regain his pre accident form and Ferrari will bring in another driver. Should Ferrari fall way behind in the WDC and WCC points 3/4 of the way through the season, there is a good possibility Massa may not see out the rest of his 2012 contract.

Wow..... finally some F1 dialog without any Faux this or that being tossed out.... shocking....
Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by agdamis

The world of Formula 1 revolves around Ferrari, by Bernie's design..

The Ferrari team revolves around DV, per $antander'$ $$$$.

Alonso is quicker than you ... Repeat I said Alonso is quicker than you ....Do you understand? ..... Sorry mate.

Not to worry, we will all go into exile at the end of the 2012 season after DV is WDC.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Besides the fact he hid his shoulder injury from the team in late 2010, Mark Webber seems to be a very straight up kind of guy. If he thought there was any chance he was being slighted, I think he wouldn't have come out with this statement.
I've never met Mark, but have it on good authority that he's generally just a really great guy and a straight shooter.

He even assisted in (basically) saving my friend's life in Monaco a couple of years ago after a nasty biking accident. I have a ton of respect for him as a person and a world-class driver. It would be easy to whine about getting inferior equipment/treatment after watching your teammate dominate race after race. Instead he cowboys-up and admits his shortcomings. Impressive in these days of prima donna athletes.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:04 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

That was not the intent of the post. My intent was to disspell the black helicopter, conspiracy theory that some pundits here have that Red Bull was seeing to the following:

Vettel had the:

Better car
Better mechanics
Better set up
Better tires
Better strategy
Better everything.

As it relates to Alonso and Massa, there is no doubt that Massa is not even close to being on par with FA. Does Ferrari favor ALonso over Massa, yes, but that is logical the way the rules are written and the absolute fact that Massa is not in the same league with Alonso on track.

It's clear that Ferrari want a #2 to support Alonso, but Massa is falling short of that in his performance to the point where he is not an asset to the team unless he can stay on the tail of FA car.

It is my belief that Massa will not be able to regain his pre accident form and Ferrari will bring in another driver. Should Ferrari fall way behind in the WDC and WCC points 3/4 of the way through the season, there is a good possibility Massa may not see out the rest of his 2012 contract.

Wow..... finally some F1 dialog without any Faux this or that being tossed out.... shocking....
Well strictly speaking it doesn't dispell those theories at all. It merely says that he takes some responsibility and publicly for some poor form last year. He doesn't say that he had more fastest laps than anyone else to defend himself either. He is a straight shooter but I don't believe or disbelieve the conspiracy theorists...I simply don't have a clue if the cars are the same. The only pointer was when he was commanded to hand over his nose cone mid race...but if he can get off the line better this season, I think there is still some life in the old dog.

Also, when these cars at the pinnacle of motor racing are searching for grams of weight loss here and there, don't forget that Webber is approx 25lbs heavier than Vettel so this is a disadvantage to a degree. I actually like and admire Vettel even though I'd love Webber to have one more chance at the title before he retires. I believe he deserves it.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Webber had his chance.
He lost it in the rain at Korea 2 years ago.
I don't think he will get another.
Nice guy, good driver.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

You're probably right and this is what the majority of fans think. The funniest things happen in sport though. All I can say with any impunity is "We shall see".
Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Vettel had the:

Better car
Better mechanics
Better set up
Better tires
Better strategy
Better everything.

Pete - I understand your post and applaud it. I just a bit tired of everything turning into a anti Alonso / Ferrari diatribe. Somebody posts "Rain today in Sepang" and Lewis and his minions come back with "Last time it rained in Sepang was because Ferrai made it happen so Massa could wipe out." I mean seriously! Why do we feel we need to stoop so low as insatiably insult one team and one driver. You want to attack Wayne ok great be my guest, Wayne has not been on Rennlist since last August for F&*K sake and quite frankly I don't see the point of returning either. The only formula one conversation on Rennlist is one where Lewis takes a jab at Fernando. If Fernando sucks as bad as Lewis says he does then why even bother wasting your breadth.

I am an Alonso fan, I think he is the best and most complete driver in Formula One currently and I also think Ferrari is a great marque with an amazing history. I have followed Alonso his entire career and I agree his moral compass has strayed a couple of times but I do not think it was because he is evil it is the drive of champion to win that may cloud his judgement. Do we hate Schumacher for punting Villeneuve, choping people at the start cutting people of dangerously or having countless teamates move over for him to get ahead. Do we hate Senna for winning a championship by sticking Prost in Japan in the first lap? I like a lot of drivers and certainly respect them all. We can argue for days on technology and design versus driver talent but the reality is Lewis is right (I can't believe I agree with Lewis) if Ferrari and Alonso want to show who they are they need to win plain and simple.

Back to your article it is huge of Webber to come out and admit when he was outclassed, although I think Red Bull do view him as the second driver on the team and it is now up to him to prove otherwise.

FORZA FERRARI!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Minions?

For every action there is an equal an opposing reaction.

For every *** kissing DV thread, there is an equal an opposing boot in the *** DV thread.

Balance is maintained.

Quick Reply: Mark Webber in his own words