Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche looking to kill off stick shift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:33 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche looking to kill off stick shift?

http://www.insideline.com/porsche/91...rbox-only.html

If this works out, it would be a first step to the eventual elimination across the brand...at least I would think so.

I'm curious about this groups take on the line that all their racers prefer the PDK setup....anyone on here use a PDK equipped race car?

sean
Old 02-14-2012, 12:42 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The beginning of the end. I know its the "better technology", I just don't care.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

991 gt3 car does not exist yet, so any speculations are premature. plus if 991 gt3 car will be no longer even based from current cup car lineage it has even less meaning.
from a customer base perspective alone if they want to compete with ferrari in this segment then it may happen quite easily. most people do not buy those cars for sport.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Folks with the 997.2 GT3's and RS's may celebrate this, as it assures their resale value!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
http://www.insideline.com/porsche/91...rbox-only.html

If this works out, it would be a first step to the eventual elimination across the brand...at least I would think so.

I'm curious about this groups take on the line that all their racers prefer the PDK setup....anyone on here use a PDK equipped race car?

sean
The new 991 7-speed is on delay til May or June even. I don't think you can get a 991 with a manual til the summer. I wonder if problems are arising with the 7-speed and the fuel saving shifting.

As for PDK on the race track, I have several days with customer cars in a sprint format R&Ding them for heat/limp mode issues. We have yet to run the PDK for longer than 30 minutes though but so far she's running like a top. The PDK revolution is coming! I was the biggest convert. I used to hate PDK. Now I don't mind it.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:48 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

rumors for the new M3/4 are that only the US will get a manual option. Everything else is going dct (pdk equiv) only.

Seems like manuals will be dieing out quickly, and only reserved for enthusiasts.

interesting thing when I bought my m3: I was looking for a manual. My SA could not understand why as every car on their lot was a dct and they would not order a manual unless it was a customer special order. He said that no one ordered manuals. I had him pull that up in the computer and it turned out that for customer special orders in the US it was about 50/50
Old 02-14-2012, 02:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

From WP: In 1989, John Barnard and Harvey Postlethwaite, then-Ferrari engineers and designers, created a automated gearbox for use in the Ferrari 640 single-seater. Despite serious problems in testing, the car won its first race at the hands of Nigel Mansell. By 1994, the automated transmission was dominant in terms of gearbox technology, and the last F1 car fitted with a manual gearbox raced in 1995.

This is coming, fellows. WE are the dinosaurs...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
And rear engine cars will never make it into the 21st century.....I say we fight it! Every step of the way!!

That being said having driven a PDK on track it is fun.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 167 Posts

The people in the Nintendo and Playstation generation will love this!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

hmmmpphhhh.... All you whipper snappers in here who made such a big deal about how syncros were such a 'great' thing......
Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tedster
The people in the Nintendo and Playstation generation will love this!
That generation is older than you might think
Old 02-14-2012, 09:35 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Next thing you know, they'll be cooling engines with water.

Oh, wait... uh, never mind.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
And rear engine cars will never make it into the 21st century.....I say we fight it! Every step of the way!!

That being said having driven a PDK on track it is fun.
Agree!

I will not be force fed PDK. I think american muscle will stick with manuals for a while and I'd rather have that than any Porsche if they go all PDK. I was considering a 991 with PDK for the wife, but there is no way I'll buy another Porsche if all of them have flappy paddles.

We are many years away from manuals being banned altogether. I will not be driving a PDK as a primary car on track.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 PM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

The price of the world's only 997.2 COBALT blue (confirmed by Porsche) GT3 has gone up, in future I'll be accepting offers in excess of $........

-
Old 02-15-2012, 12:26 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
From WP: In 1989, John Barnard and Harvey Postlethwaite, then-Ferrari engineers and designers, created a automated gearbox for use in the Ferrari 640 single-seater. Despite serious problems in testing, the car won its first race at the hands of Nigel Mansell. By 1994, the automated transmission was dominant in terms of gearbox technology, and the last F1 car fitted with a manual gearbox raced in 1995.

I have spent some time in a Ferrari 360Challenge car. paddle shift cars are awesome on track. Everything is easier like trailbraking with left foot braking. Once this revolution takes hold there will be no more threads titled "left foot braking". LFB will be a given like how we drive karts. With paddles its like car inputs slow down and the cockpit drama subsides. While nothing is quite a beautiful as walter rohrl doing the 3 pedal dance on the North Loop it really is the skill going the way of the Do-Do bird. The big problem with Ferrari F1 and its new DCT is that they fail all the time. I would buy a BMW DCT or Porsche PDK but never a Ferrari with one until even they can screw up the technology. My guess It could be at least 10 years before they figure it out.

Quick Reply: Porsche looking to kill off stick shift?