Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche looking to kill off stick shift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

This is why I'm keeping my newest Porsche, which was built in 1993. I can't see Porsche doing away with the manual transmission for the the near term.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Folks with the 997.2 GT3's and RS's may celebrate this, as it assures their resale value!
i think 991 should be all PDK. you are right
meanwhile, i need to go fine a few more stick GT3 to buy
Old 02-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
rumors for the new M3/4 are that only the US will get a manual option. Everything else is going dct (pdk equiv) only.

Seems like manuals will be dieing out quickly, and only reserved for enthusiasts.

interesting thing when I bought my m3: I was looking for a manual. My SA could not understand why as every car on their lot was a dct and they would not order a manual unless it was a customer special order. He said that no one ordered manuals. I had him pull that up in the computer and it turned out that for customer special orders in the US it was about 50/50
When I bought my M3 (only 6mos ago) I had my SA search the whole country for 6MT cars. There were only 4 available with 1 in Hawaii. Of course the manual is so finicky that I think BMW is trying to convince me I should have gone DCT.

I will buy MT cars for as long as they are available. While the PDK is a great gearbox, esp for the track - the manual is more fun on the street.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:06 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrenan
The beginning of the end. I know its the "better technology", I just don't care.
Yes that is correct. PDK is good technology and may prove faster on the track, but the GT3 is not just a track special. It is also a pruist driver's car that should have a manual option. For the fun of it. Let then the market decide what is more popular. The cost of having both should be not very large in overall cost of an expensive car. If the car is over 100k then another 1000 or two is not that big of a deal.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

so, does anybody know for a fact for how many hours will a PDK clutch live on a track and how much does it cost to install a new clutch into PDK gearbox? or is it indeed an engineering marvel that does not have any wear and tear no matter for how many hours you`ll run it?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:54 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 702 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by chrenan
The beginning of the end. I know its the "better technology", I just don't care.
+1
and until someone starts paying me big bucks to win races and the lighting fast shifting matters to my income potential, I do not want to give up the pure enjoyment of driving. I've driven a few PDK cars and honestly...hate them. I feel like I'm playing a video game, not driving.

What's next? enter the GPS coordinates into the onboard computer, have sensors all around to keep away from contact, and the driver just sits along for the ride?

I drive because I enjoy it, not because this shifter is faster than that one....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-19-2012, 12:07 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PDK

I drove the 991 S yesterday and all I can say is WOW! Drove in manual using the shifter and it is absolutely amazing. I can see both sides of these manual vs PDK discussions, and I love my manual. But if I were going with a street 991 I would choose the PDK? I never thought I would say that but there, I said it!

Quick Reply: Porsche looking to kill off stick shift?