Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on Fire Extinguishers???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I still can't tell which is the way to go. Gas or Foam filled?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Foam works, it's FIA approved and widely used. Most people I know use foam, but maybe that's only because the halon replacement gas systems are relatively new. The new gas systems are environmentally friendly unlike halon and I guess they will take over and become the standard. Foam also makes a mess and is corrosive.

Most important is that it puts out fire. I have only been upside down in a burning car once. All I know is that corrosion or environmental damage didn't seem too important to me at the time.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:44 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

So is it generally accepted that the Foam versions are better at knocking down the flames but make more of a mess vs the gas which don't make much mess at all but are less effective at adding vital seconds to your exit?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default fire experience

For what it's worth here is my input. As you probably remember, I have encountered two fires in the last two years. Hence my move away from my unlucky adventures with 951 motors.

1st fire - Blackhawk Farms - I had the ESS foam system and it worked ok but the bottle was too small. The spray was weak and directional (won't go around objects. The car had extensive fire damage and was nearly stripped to the tub. Nozzle placement is critical - line of site to intended target. If you go with a foam system consider the SPA system, many pro team cars are set up with this system. Consider a minimum of 5 to 6 nozzles. I have the SPA now installed in my M3 Endurance car.

2nd fire - Mid Ohio - I had switched over to the Safecraft Halon system. It definitely seemed to be much more effective. There was a lot of flame and the system knocked it down. It was very helpful since I spun in my oil and came to rest only 20 feet off track pointing up hill on the outside (ito the right of the race track) of Madness at Mid Ohio. Because the single flagger (yes only one flag man at Madness) was on the radio and not on the flag, I was exposed to cars racing two to three wide in my general direction for a long time. If you have not raced at Mid Ohio, Madness is a hill crest at the apex which un-weights the car. I had to sit it out to wait for clear traffic to exit the car. After 20-30 seconds of sitting there I got hit - HARD by a 911 racing around a couple of BMW E30's. If the fire had not been knocked down by the extinguisher it could have been a real problem bailing from a burning car with oncoming traffic.

Most important fire tactic is your exit tactics. I get into and out of my car with Hans and helmet on. It really helped in the first fire when my Hans got caught during exit. I backed off slightly, shrugged my shoulders to bring the Hans closer to my helmet and made my escape.

I take my fire prep seriously now, full underwear, balacava and shield down when on track.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 AM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have experienced a fire and one thing that no one has mentioned is it's nice to have a portable bottle in the car as well as a dedicated fire suppression system. When I had my fire it was in the rear passenger wheel well caused by an oil line rupturing. I discharged my fire system but as it turned out it didn't do much good. Once I got clearance from the flagger I exited the car with my portable bottle and emptied it into the wheel well which subsequently extinguished the fire. Had I not had that second bottle things would have been much worse.

Be safe out there!

Cheers, James

Last edited by James Achard; 02-16-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-16-2012, 01:38 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
2nd fire - Mid Ohio - I had switched over to the Safecraft Halon system. It definitely seemed to be much more effective.
Glad to hear that, I decided on a big-*** Safercraft Halon system with 2 nozzles on the engine (one on each intake) one for the driver and one in the front trrunk of my '73 911. That was about a decade ago, maybe there is something better now.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:01 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all those stories. Damn that experience at Mid Ohio sounds pretty scary!!

It sounds like Halon is the best but it's banned in many parts of the world, inc Australia. So it would seem that these gas types are superior and less messy?? Makes me almost want to get 2 bottles. One for the engine bay and me, the other for the fuel system in the rear and maybe more on me.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:09 PM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that makes me nervous about halon is it does a great job of extinguishing fires as well as people when released in a confined space. I seem to remember from a previous job that halon became less favorable for sedans but ok on open cars etc. Halon also can be blown away, thus increasing the chances of re-ignition whereas foam etc stays put.

Cheers, James
Old 02-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Now I know why you call yourself disasterman.

Quick Reply: School me on Fire Extinguishers???