Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much wheel lifiting is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to try an adjustable end link for the front sway bar to get the geometry better, send me a pm
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Tom,

Check your picture files for wheel lift at TWS. Bet you won't find any. Or at the very least, the vast majority of your wheel lifts will be found at MSR and ECR, where elevation changes in the middle of the turns are to blame. I could be making the same mistakes as you in those same turns, but this much I'm pretty confident about: If I tried to drive those same turns so that all 4 wheels would stay on the ground, my lap times would suffer. Even in my old front-heavy C4 Cab, I could not keep all 4 wheels on the ground! It's the track. Stay on the gas!!!
Here are some pics of my old car lifting. This was primarily a function of poor geometry created by the short sway bar links mounted to the pinch bolts. (The GT3 doesn't really have this issue). Some places it looks like 4-6" of lift!

-td
Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gums
Is that the new Faux Armco in your second photo, ervtx?
What circuit is that?
Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur, Tx.

Those rocks are in a relatively safe location. There is plenty of old school Armco to be respected on other turns at ECR.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:53 PM
the90
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most race teams will run pretty stiff rear springs to limit the effects of the rear suspension geometry, requiring a high front roll stiffness to get some balance. Relatively soft front springs are used, meaning the roll stiffness comes from the front bar. If lateral balance is a function of increasing front roll couple, once the inside front wheel is lifted, control over the roll couple is lost and the car will oversteer.
Obviously you're faced with running lower rear rates and risking the effects of the rear geo.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:50 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
See post #10 and #54......

Scott

I did see your earlier posts before I made the suggestion of wider rear tires. I didn't see that suggestion, so I thought I'd post about it. Sometimes it isn't possible due to car configuration or class rules, but when allowed is a great tool to balance a car (along with suspenseion, aero, etc.)

Quick Reply: How much wheel lifiting is too much?