Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much wheel lifiting is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:21 AM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread TD. Looks like you've gotten some good feedback here. Although my setup is a bit different, I've learned to live with a little lift here and there. Part of this driving experience is why I got a 911 honestly, so I could learn how to drive a tail-wagger!

You're doing the right things in checking data, pics, etc. to keep improving which is great. Another thing you could do is bribe one of our RL hot shoes to take it for a spin for their feedback.

Originally Posted by himself
Don't poo-poo my craptastic driving in this video.
Give yourself some credit, I saw lots of good stuff in your vid.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:26 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
TD, based on the video (alone), I'd say leave the car alone & smooth out the driving. I am curious also how turn-in is.

FYI, there are a couple of 1:23's with a passenger in here from November 2010 on that clockwise configuration:
Turn in is fine. No under or over steer (altough I am rolling in most corners (as you know entry speed in this direction is the key to lap times). Even on other tracks it turns in fine, well to me. I haven't had any one else drive it in a while, but the car fits my style without many issues.

Something that has also been bugging me is the amount of the steering input chatter / feedback, specially under braking. I think I need a bigger wing or a new diff. Straightline braking the car is nice and planted. Trailing under heavy G load and the back end is shaking like Shakira.

Over this event, my times didn't vary with / without a passenger. 22s and 23s either way. Which is a good indicator that 21s are possible.

-td

Last edited by himself; 02-11-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Yeah, your diff may be gone. A better LSD will really stabilize the car under trail braking (if this is in fact the problem).

In my low power BMW, a passenger really makes a difference in lap times.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:35 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Any pics sans the instructor?
Nope. Somebody gotta drive!

-td
Old 02-11-2012, 10:44 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yeah, your diff may be gone. A better LSD will really stabilize the car under trail braking (if this is in fact the problem).

In my low power BMW, a passenger really makes a difference in lap times.
Passenger makes about a second in my car as well. A little more on the 3.1. Porsche says I have 380 at the crank @ 3400 lbs. With a passenger, I'm at/over 3600. I shook off some cobwebs and made up the weight difference in later sessions.

As for the diff, it's original with 40k miles on it.

One thing about these events is that I really don't get a chance to practice diving. So I keep driving on the same plateau. With a passenger virtually every session, I have to dial it back just a bit and can't push the envelop or work on new things.

When's the next training session? I need some "me" tracktime! Loo

-td
Old 02-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

if it does anything like the car in this video....take it to the appropriate suspension doctor

Old 02-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Passenger makes about a second in my car as well. A little more on the 3.1. Porsche says I have 380 at the crank @ 3400 lbs. With a passenger, I'm at/over 3600. I shook off some cobwebs and made up the weight difference in later sessions.

As for the diff, it's original with 40k miles on it.

One thing about these events is that I really don't get a chance to practice diving. So I keep driving on the same plateau. With a passenger virtually every session, I have to dial it back just a bit and can't push the envelop or work on new things.

When's the next training session? I need some "me" tracktime! Loo

-td
Trying to set one up for sometime mid April to early May.

WTF is going on with embedded videos here? they ain't working any more
Old 02-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

The car is junk. Ship it to me. I'll pm my address.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dubai944
^^ the pictures in that article typically show big variation in inside wheel lift front to rear which is obviously symptomatic of the problem the article is addressing, that ideally a car will always corner better with 4 wheels on the ground than 3. If you are getting a large amount of wheel lift at one end of the car compared to the other, it probably indicates room for improvement, but in the case of the OPs pictures that's not the case.
I think the pictures chosen were done so for exaggeration for effect. If you look at the graphs they show, the curves knee rather dramatically when the wheel lifts. Sway bars do some great things, but this is one of their drawbacks. All about striking a balance between too much roll and too much loss of grip (and as I understand it, the increase in grip on the outside tire from the added loaded can't make up for the loss of grip on the inside tire, even before it lifts - thought not by a whole lot). This book is one of the ones I need to pick up that goes into that:
Amazon Amazon

I would imagine for a lot of cars, it won't matter. But if the throttle has to be modulated to keep it from understeering at track out, it does. When I changed tire sizes on my car, I used to have on throttle understeer entering the esses at Road Atlanta. Beefed up the rear springs, resolved the problem.

I'd certainly defer to Veloce Raptor's opinion on this, but I do have to disagree that you have to lift the tire a bunch for it to negatively impact things.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:43 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Superb book King and a good choice to add to the library...but a difficult (enjoyably so for those of us so inclined) read and most certainly not THE answer; it adds perspective and highlights the art and guesswork of tire manufacturing.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:14 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread brings to mind something that we haven't mentioned so far. If there are 1-2 places in the track that this happens due to the unique characteritics of those corners and fixing this takes such drastic set up changes that the car will likely be bad in other places (which, having death with turn 10' and 17 at Sebring for a few years now I know something about), then is it good to chase it?

If the car is good and you are fast, chase something else.... Oh...and physics is a bitch...
Old 02-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PedroNole
This thread brings to mind something that we haven't mentioned so far. If there are 1-2 places in the track that this happens due to the unique characteritics of those corners and fixing this takes such drastic set up changes that the car will likely be bad in other places (which, having death with turn 10' and 17 at Sebring for a few years now I know something about), then is it good to chase it?

If the car is good and you are fast, chase something else.... Oh...and physics is a bitch...
Exactly. And that's the way it is at this track...
Old 02-11-2012, 05:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,723 Posts

At 40k miles the OEM LSD was shot 20k miles ago
Old 02-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
At 40k miles the OEM LSD was shot 20k miles ago
That's what I was thinking, too. Those OEM LSD's in the 6GT3's are gargage.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:13 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Nope. Somebody gotta drive!

-td
OK how about a pic without the ballast on the right side

Quick Reply: How much wheel lifiting is too much?