Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorhome questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh and nicer and a little bigger than the Seneca is the Jayco Embark...
Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 AM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy don't know anything about the Jayco... BUt back in 2003 when several of us took the plunge into Monaco - now out of business - built a great class A diesel pusher and had the towing capacity... 10000 lbs.. that has changed somewhat but those were the critical areas of concern.. slides etc ... there are so many choices it really depends on your budget go to http://www.rvonline.com/ and put in your parameters and you will see quite a selection... last year I sold my 40 foot Monaco Winder with 3 slides for 100k it was a steel for the buyer - who also races--- he and his family are having a great time not only for track but for other trips as well.. I purchased a 2006 Newell because it was one of the few that can really pull a stacker... it has a 625 hp 2000 lb torque CAT engine..

you can pm me for more info and set up a TC if you wish and I can help
Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,195 Likes on 1,882 Posts

If your family is going with you and you'd like to make it as confortable as possible for THEM, then an RV is the way to go. Their time AT the track will be much more enjoyable. But if they don't and it's only a couple trips a year to the track with you, then it's better to forgo the MH idea.

As someone said earlier in this thread, some of these rigs are like space shuttles with their diverse systems for this and that. Prepping to go out on a weekend to the track takes time and time when you get back to unload and clean everything and put it away. But, your time at the track, especially on hot days, will be amazingly confortable.

Other benefits are waking up right there at the track to the sound of engines and the social aspect after a day at the track and getting together with others to BBQ and tell lies about what happened on track...
Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a good friend with a converted Prevost 'bus'.... the million dollar kind. As stated before, they are very complex and troubleshooting a simple wiring issue (like the Sat TV won't work at VIR ) can often mean a trip to the dealer.

A bunch of miata buddies tow serious two car enlcosed trailers with Class C motorhomes built on proper chassis. They're built to tow. That is the way i'd go.

Good advice is to be realistic about the care they take before and after an event... dump out, cleaning, etc.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:38 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

A projector, laptop (or Directv dish/receiver) and a big white trailer makes for a really cool way to watch track exploits, stupid movies or DVR'd F1 qualifying with good friends, old and new, on a Saturday night.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
... Prepping to go out on a weekend to the track takes time and time when you get back to unload and clean everything and put it away. But, your time at the track, especially on hot days, will be amazingly confortable.

Other benefits are waking up right there at the track to the sound of engines and the social aspect after a day at the track and getting together with others to BBQ and tell lies about what happened on track...
That is one issue with RV's. It makes all the prep work around the track day alot more involved. So far I have camped in my enclosed trailer a few times. To me that works great and has minimal effort. In fact I have it set-up so it takes less time than with an open trailer since I can leave the stuff packed in the trailer.

Of course for the wife and kid.... One night we staye in the trailer, but we have shore power and that make it much easier. Now most tracks I go to don't have any electric. So for them and RV is ideal, but if they don't go an RV is probably a waste. Better to dress up my current trailer a bit and call it good.

So they is where renting is handy. Jim infact was going to sleep in his enclosed trailer just like I did this past weekend. However the wife wanted to go too so a few phone calls later and he roles in a nice Seneca super C rental.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,195 Likes on 1,882 Posts

as far as the towing, most rvs are rated at 5k or 10k. The key is a heavy duty chassis with proper hitch.

There was a thread a couple years back here on RL about a 10k rated hitch and the trailer got away from the rv on the grapevine IIRC. The welds on the hitch need to be checked every once in a while to make sure there are no cracks.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:01 PM
ajenks144
Instructor

Thanks everyone.

I am doing this for family comfort. As many of us with families, I am being pulled in many directions. I want to keep up the racing, but as the kids get older, it is harder to do. My wife is on board with the RV plan as long as it is "nice". This will allow me to continue racing and spend time with the family. We also plan to use it for other trips.

The gas powered Class C motorhomes built on the E450 chassis are much, much cheaper. Does anyone have experience towing with a Gas Class C? Again, my trainer is enclosed and 6,000 lbs.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:03 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

If you can keep your trailer legitimately below 6000lbs your options are endless, the van class Cs will work for you, the issue is when you start loading up the trailer, then it gets messy. Gas is fine, just expect lousy gas mileage and not quite the uphill power of the diesels.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:19 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ajenks144
Thanks everyone.

I am doing this for family comfort. As many of us with families, I am being pulled in many directions. I want to keep up the racing, but as the kids get older, it is harder to do. My wife is on board with the RV plan as long as it is "nice". This will allow me to continue racing and spend time with the family. We also plan to use it for other trips.

The gas powered Class C motorhomes built on the E450 chassis are much, much cheaper. Does anyone have experience towing with a Gas Class C? Again, my trainer is enclosed and 6,000 lbs.
How much money do you have to spend? How nice you get will driven by budget. I would love and RV to do just as you are doing, but I don't have the money to spend on one. Cheap RV's can be had for 20k, but then they are well cheap and all beat-up. If I had 150k I could a really nice RV formy wife and kid to hang at the track in. However I don't have that kind of cash laying around. Best I could do is rent, but even that gets pricey.

One thing you may want to do is figure a price range and then take your wife to see the RV's up close. Maybe event a rent time or two just to feel what it is like to drive them a distance and to spend time in them. See what features she wants/needs. No sense getting an RV only to have her complain later. For example slides are great for space. Slides stink for carrying capacity and 31 E450 with two slides is going to be really heavy to tow the trailer. Samller RV with less slides (or no slides) will work alot better. Plus if camping dry how much water do you want/need? 60 gallons? 120? How much will you run off generator? Where will the kids sleep?

Your three needs are 1) Tows the trailer, 2) makes the wife happy 3) fits in your budget.

If you can't get all 3 why bother.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what you need. Make an offer!!!

http://www.classyrv.com/100860
Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 PM
dontnow
Pro

When you look at class C's, a lot of the longer ones have a poor frame extension to the trailer hitch which makes towing risky. We had a 32' class A with a Ford V10, pulled the trailer fine, was comfortable and easy to drive, maintain. I used to rent it through owners rental http://www.ownersrental.com/ when I wasn't using it to help with the payments. BIG mistake if you like your things clean, every family damaged something on it, with one (a neighbor) tearing a huge hole in the roof, then tried to hide it.

So the moral of the story..Check the frame yourself instead of trusting salesman; make sure you have the space, time and money to enjoy it!!

Quick Reply: Motorhome questions