Motorhome questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM
ajenks144
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorhome questions

Hey Everyone,

I am considering buying a motorhome so that the family can start attending more race weekends with me (and so I don't have to sleep in the trailer anymore!). I know nothing about them so I was looking for some guidance. I have a small ATC enclosed trailer I need to tow (about 6,000lbs loaded).

Here are my questions:

I don't want anything too big, so will a Class C motorhome pull the trailer? What about a Class C diesel?

As far as Class A goes, diesel vs gas? Pusher vs Puller?

Thanks for the help.

Andy
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been renting from private owners for the past few years for "big" weekends. From 44' buses to 32 class C's. A few suggestion:

1. Diesel- it is suprising but many of the mid size buses use pickup diesel and gas motors, I try and find those built on commercial truck chassis, international, ford550 and up, chevy 5500 and up, less than that and I think it's marginal for safety and comfort. A loaded up RV can be close to GVR of the chassis without a trailer.

2. Some states get real picky (Cali) about combined length and weight and you don't want to get overweight or into a CDL requirement, which is typically 26,000 cgvw.

3. The complexity of the systems on some of these buses rivals the space shuttle, I'd really drill down on what you need, getting them ready and cleaning up for storage is like getting ready for a shuttle launch. With the family along black/grey water capacity is something to focus on.

4. I find the bigger class C's Jayco Seneca, Gulfstream Supernova easy handling and good tow trucks. Plus with kids you can throw one or two above the cab for sleeping putting them on the other side of the bus from the bedroom, not so easy with the bus config.
5. As a kid we traveled all over North America in a bus conversion, every summer we were off to one coast or another, mom, dad and four bros and two dogs! Amazing experiences all. Always felt sorry watching the kids packed in the back of station wagons with the luggage like "vacation"... It's been great for track events, the Ms loves to go now. For nationals at miller we went up early and spent two days at lake powell, stayed in comfort at the track, hut Vegas on the way back...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a 29 foot class C with a Ford gas V10 on an E350(?) chassis. I pulled a 24 foot Pace enclosed trailer with a stock class 993 and gear. I loved it. Got the same mileage with that outfit that I do with the Cayenne pulling a 20 slope nose Haulmark. Great idea and I really, really miss mine. I wish I had not sold it every time I get ready to go somewhere and try to coordinate hotel rooms and activities for the kids etc...Nothing like going in to make a sandwich or watch some tv during down time and relaxing in the AC on those hot sunny days. Also great for rainy days. Oh yeah, I always loved waking up at the track.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
I've been renting from private owners for the past few years for "big" weekends. ...
What was that website you used?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Andy, I was seriously looking down this road a couple of years ago and came to the conclusion that the Super Cs are the best way to go. The Super Novas are totally awsome. Make sure you get one in time for ALMS at VIR!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one for ya pal, Old School!

It's a 7.4 Litre, almost 3 times more power than your Spec Boxster.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2012, 11:13 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

I too have been looking at the motorhome option, well kicking tires really. It seems most of the class Cs or small As have a 5,000 pound towing capacity which seemed quite low for the chassis. What is your take on this limit? Would you go ahead and tow as long as you don't exceed the cgvw? I know some of these have a van chassis while others are built on Freightliners which are as strong as an ox. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by RobT 394; 02-10-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: My phone typing sucked
Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Joe, I'll pm you the list. You should give it a try for the family, spoil that crew of yours at Fontana...

I look for owner rentals, plenty of those sites out there, they put you in contact with the owners, they post standard rental rates, miles, gem time etc...if you haven't done an Rv trip it's a good way to give it a whirl and see what you really need. Some of them are even for sale. Most of the national chains don't let you tow and are real expensive, almost worthless for track stuff...
Old 02-10-2012, 09:40 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by RobT 394
I too have been looking at the motorhome option, well kicking tires really. It seems most of the class Cs or small As have a 5,000 pound towing capacity which seemed quite low for the chassis. What is your take on this limit? Would you go ahead and tow as long as you don't exceed the cgvw? I know some of these have a van chassis while others are built on Freightliners which are as strong as an ox. Any thoughts on this?
I did some research on this a few years ago. The 5000lbs limit comes from two places. First most C-class are on van chassis which are often very close to the weight limit on the chassis without a trailer. This especially true if you have a 30ft length and slides. Consider adding 8000lbs trailer?

The other issue is many of frame are extended so far that 1000lbs tonque weight is a really issue. Most RV's are designed to flat tow or dolly tow a road car.

This is where super C's and the right A-class come into their own. So if you want to tow an enclosed trailer with motorhome do your homework. A 24 ft C-class on a E-450 chassis with no slides should handle and open trailer just fine. Not sure about a 20-24ft enclosed however... It might work, but may also need a reinforced hitch.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by J richard
Joe, I'll pm you the list. You should give it a try for the family, spoil that crew of yours at Fontana...

I look for owner rentals, plenty of those sites out there, they put you in contact with the owners, they post standard rental rates, miles, gem time etc...if you haven't done an Rv trip it's a good way to give it a whirl and see what you really need. Some of them are even for sale. Most of the national chains don't let you tow and are real expensive, almost worthless for track stuff...
Thanks Jim,
Not sure I would do it for Fontana since I would need to get a big enough RV to tow my trailer. That drives up cost and it may make more sense to do a simple RV trip (no racing) in Smaller C class just to try it out first. See how the family does.. Still it is worth checking out.

Last edited by M758; 02-10-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Me want this!

http://www.sportsmobile.com/

Have it built on the right Van and get up to 10,000 towing capacity!

Or this:

http://www.pleasureway.com/traverse.php
Old 02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

This is the one I want, small and maneuverable, perfect for two and can go anywhere and tow anything:

http://www.earthroamer.com/galleries/2012%20XV-LTS/
Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 AM
ajenks144
Instructor

Thanks for all the feedback! Based on all the input and some research, the Jayco Seneca might be the right on for me. All depends if I can find a used one for a good price. It would be cool to find someone who would rent me one so I could try it out for the Glen Club Race weekend.

Andy
Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

If you like the class B vans the new roadtek sprinter vans are built by Mercedes and are really nice and surprisingly affordable. Haven't been able to pin down towing capacity tho.

Also check out Fun Mover, Host, and Topkick. These are all big truck based with plenty of tow capacity. Andy I would just google "RV rental by owner" in your area and see what pops up.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Joe another option that Darren did for miller was he towed up with his truck and trailer and rented an Rv near the track. No mileage hit, no issue with towing, you can rent from any national chain like rent America and you can get something real economical...

Glad you're getting it back together!

Quick Reply: Motorhome questions