Sponsored by:

Willow Springs Big Track First Time DE

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Willow Springs Big Track First Time DE

I've got an upcoming 2 days of HPDE at the big track Willow Springs International Raceway.
I'm looking for any track insight or first timer thoughts and to share a consolidated update to the First Time DE prep topic.
I've spent hours and hours reading through searches under first time DE and willow springs. Most of the last posts were from a year or two ago, so I'm wondering if there is any "new tips".
This RL family is such a wealth of information...so incredibly grateful for everyone's sharing. Any thoughts that will help make it a more enjoyable experience are greatly appreciated!
Questions:
1 People have mentioned bringing a chair...is this necessary at this venue?
2 People have mentioned bringing tons of stuff...(see below)...do I just store these things in my car's "bonnet" while I'm driving around the track?
3 I try to never wear blue jeans in my car, since it rubs off on the leather, but it sounds like that's the only option other than a full race suit...any other ideas?? khakis would look ridiculous..(especially with my obligatory first timer half blue taped up car!).
U]Here's what I've done/picked up thus far:[/U]
Pack: helmet and gloves, extra socks and shoes, fresh clothes for end of day, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, umbrella/rain jacket since likely will be raining, microfiber towels and quick detail spray to clean when going to apply blue tape, windshield spray and towels, quart of oil, baby wipes for cleaning hands/face.
Leave at home: Ego, Camera(for first time).
Prep Car - new (broken in) tires ... Michelin PSS, tightened lug nuts, checked brake pads and brake oil, top off engine oil, blue tape front end & area in front of back tires, fresh wax.
Prep Driver -Watched hundreds of laps on utube thus memorizing every corner, memorized all flags, anticipating becoming totally hooked- forgoing all other hobbies and sliding down the slippery slope with a smile on my face.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

Be prepared to have so much fun that it will take you a week to wipe the grin off your face.. Thats the best part. As to what you need to bring, you have it pretty much covered.

** Good call on the chair. You might as well enjoy your time outside. One of those $12 chairs from CVS will suffice
** Water
** Sun Block.. You will be outdoors - A LOT. Cover up.
** Wear what you don't mind perspiring in. If you don't have jeans, you don't need to buy your first pair
** Sun Glasses - THAT WILL FIT INSIDE YOUR HELMET

(By the way, I wear jeans all the time in my leather seats. Doesn't hurt them.. I like leather for its durability)
Old 01-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's a good primer that was written for the Porsche Owners Club Performance Driving Series. Different club but the basic info is the same:

http://porscheclub.com/sts/stsguide.pdf

1) Chair is not required but could be nice to have when waiting for your session.
2) Your list sounds pretty complete. You will want to empty all of that stuff out of the car and leave it in your parking spot, along with your floor mats and any loose stuff in the cab & trunk.
3) Just wear jeans and a long sleeve cotton shirt and comfortable shoes that feel good on the pedals.

Your car prep list sounds good, the group will probably have a tech form or inspection but the responsibility is on you to bring a safe car to the track.

I strongly recommend having an instructor ride along. No matter how many videos you have watched it's always different in real life. You will learn the track a lot faster and have a lot more fun.

If you enjoy the event and want more track time with other Porsche's take a look at the Porsche Owners Club Performance Driving Series. PDS events are reasonably priced and include free instruction, there are also driving clinics a couple of times a year.

http://porscheclub.com/STS/STSinfo.shtml

HAVE FUN!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:44 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

depending of weather some clubs allow driving in shorts instead of long pants and with short sleeve shirt instead of long sleeve but in spring it probably wil not be an issue.

have spare cloths in the waterproof bag. towel for car is nice, do not forget one for yourself.
spare shirt is a good thing, as you`ll start driving faster you will see how it pushes your body to the limit.

for shoes you want anything with thin ehough soles, like lite tennis shoes, not a kind of running shoes with extra wide sides and thick rubber at the base. that is why you need a spare as if it rains your feet will be soaked easily in that kind of 'paper-like' footware. better thing to do is not to be afraid to show up as a poser - if you plan on doing DEs a lot - buy good high racing shoes like these or similar, it is one racing item anybody can benefit from as it lasts almost forever and simplifies life a lot.
http://thmotorsports.com/i-79561.asp...Fcfe4Aod_Wwbmw

do not forget something to cut blue tape with if you will construct your running number with it. if you have magnetic number - use tape to secure its edges as it may be blown away. some clubs provide numbers, some do not - check this thing prior to event. your car got dark paint - numbers made from blue tape will not be very visible on it.

as of covereing car`s front with blue tape - well, to be honest it does not protect much from gravels and rubber marbels do not do any damage. tape is more required for autocross where you hit cones at 60mph - they leave nasty black marks, tape helps with that. on the track it is not so needed but it is your car and your choice.
if you have new car - do a full clear bra front wrap with 3M material, also you can buy from ebay transparent 'bra-like' film to put on top of your headbeams to protect them a bit.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:44 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lists and advice get tedious, but I've got to add:

Please insure your brake fluid is fresh.

I'm also willing to wager that you'll easily find a nearby soul with a trailer who will be more than glad to offer up a few feet of floor space to stash your stuff. Out of the car and into his trailer, so easy...at least I always offer the space to those neighbors who must otherwise empty their cars onto the grass.

Khakis are more than fine; I've often thought more comfortable than jeans, but I live in jeans anyway and I tend to stay filthy somehow, so jeans for me.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:55 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Add: Tire gauge, torque wrench and at least 1/4 inch of brake pad thickness.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:00 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 214 Likes on 125 Posts

I had posted this in the duplicate thread, but moved it to here:

Which organization are you running with?

1. A chair isn't strictly necessary but it's nice to have one if you want to sit by your car. Don't think you'll regret it either way.

2. You do not store items in your car while on track. At a typical DE there, you find a place to park your car and unload all of your stuff right there on the ground / in bags / on a tarp or blanket. Your stuff should be safe. There aren't many garages there so not sure if anyone has rented them. Some people bring easy up tents for shade.

3. Chinos or khakis are fine. Something cotton. You should be comfortable and focused on the driving, not your seats or what you're wearing.

Sounds like you are new to HPDE and WSIR is a pretty high speed track. Biggest thing is to take it easy and be patient. Get some instruction and have a blast!

I also bring a tire pressure gauge but likely you can borrow that item from someone.

Here's a good turn by turn guide to WSIR:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...l-raceway.aspx
Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

>do I just store these things in my car's "bonnet" while I'm driving around the track?

if you have some tarp of kind what people throw over the car before snow storm - bring it with you, also put all your stuff into some big plastic container that has _waterproof_ lid. if lid is not waterproof enough - you throw tarp on a ground, put your stuff in container on it, wrap tarp around and secure it with wheel, iron, whatever.

again, if it rains - be prepared. there is nothing worse than to be soaking wet with no spare clothes.
also be aware - in the rain DE still goes on and you will drive with open windows. it makes you pretty wet pretty fast even if it is just a slight drizzle

that is your biggest challenge in lower run groups, to cope with yourself and weather, as for most of all other challenges your instructor will be able to help or advice, hopefully.

other advice - do not be pushy but do not be shy - speak to the people in the paddock, make friends, especially with those who have nice big trailers with nice shaders. it will come very handy in the summer time. most people at DEs do not bite and are fun to talk with. I myself should use this advice more often but unfortunately when you get into your own thoughts sometimes you just miss other peoplealtogether plus not all the time it is easy to find people you spoke online before as either run groups do not have car numbers or some other stuff happens or you just outright forget whom you were supposed to meet with...
Old 01-20-2012, 03:00 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't mention a completed tech form from an authorized garage...do you need that?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:35 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

SB Porsche,

YOU NEED A CHAIR.
If you are worried about the leather I suggest a towel to sit on going to and from Big Willow. Or bring a spare set of clothes as salt in the clothes you wear hurts leather.

Lots of water and some food help.

Utkinpol,

It is Big Willow rain does not happen very often.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

your prep list looks good, and the advice is spot on.

as for the track, it's silly fast. good times I like the track, others don't because it's only 9 turns and not overly technical. to each their own. despite the high speeds I think it's a good first timer track because you have a lot of time to regain your composure between corners.

lots of lines to play with through Omega (turns 3-5). T5 is downhill towards the apex, uphill past the apex; the car can get really loose on the transition.

also, watch the rise over the hill at T6, it makes an otherwise simple corner a bit tricky.

finally, watch the braking zone into T9 (the last corner), it catches people out all the time. late apex on T9 or you can get into trouble

have fun! stay calm. stay alert. stay calm. have fun!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SBPORSCHE
, anticipating becoming totally hooked- forgoing all other hobbies and sliding down the slippery slope with a smile on my face.
Yep.

My first DE was back in November.
I went from scared to death, to super excited, to I MUST DO WHATEVER I CAN TO GET BACK ON THE TRACK!

I'm going to my second event next weekend and plan to register for something in late Feb/March as soon as I finish my next event. My goal is to go at least once every other month. More if I can swing the funds.

The selling of other high dollar hobby stuff has already begun! Now every time I go into my gun closet or see all of my fishing equipment the gears start turning
Old 01-20-2012, 04:41 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

A-mazing - Thank you so very much....you guys rock- I hope someday to know enough to be able to pay it fwd...
@Vantage - Alpha Romeo Club. The link to motiq was awesome.
@utkinpol- I hadn't thought of my stuff being on teh ground in the rain- I'll bring a tub.
@Buckwheat- Yep I've got the tech inspection done.
@Cory- Porsche club guide had some really good info.
@kaiB- I just had the dealership refill with fresh fluid,check brakes, tighten lugs and top off oil.
@guyincognito- I'll follow your advice- stay calm -have fun.
Thanks again to all of you taking time out of your busy days to help me out- appreciate it!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:14 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now go have fun!!!!

Virtually everybody here can tell you (still) every detail about their first DE.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I highly recommend having an instructor in the car with you.
Many new folks think track days are about driving around as fast as the car can go. An instructor will show you a great line around the track and help with reference points, car control, timing of actions(brakes,gas,steering), car balance to get the most grip, and to help you not do something that you will regret. Lots to learn. Build up with a great base be safe and have fun. Speed will come with knowledge and seat time.

Good luck.

Joe

Quick Reply: Willow Springs Big Track First Time DE