Reconfigured Turn One at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,325 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Seems one is talking "car" and the rest are talking "technique"..
Originally Posted by KaiB
...you have to "run what you brung" and just do what it takes to drive it faster.
Right. The focus on technique is what allows the "Krause Paradigm" #1 (I like that) to exist!

The car's the same, it's what the driver does with it that makes the difference.

In Izzone's video, the entry is pretty darn good (close to the wall and not early) and the "hang time" at the inside close to the wall is good, too.

The problem is that the red, then green lights (long g above a low threshold) are flashing from turn-in to the point where you can see the exit too much and too long (read=not-finished-slowing-down and ending with ambiguous throttle application until he's SURE he's going to be ok).

You can hear him whack the throttle as soon as he sees his way out, but by then, it's too late. That throttle needs to come up sooner and more linearly. We need to see solid green as soon as the car is pointed towards the apex and before it.

Krause Paradigm #4: The difference between amateur and pro drivers is that pros place their cars on a trajectory and accelerate before it's clear that they're going to make it out of the corner on that trajectory and with that early and optimistic level of throttle input.

That "thinking" time (am I going to make it?) is the equivocal throttle time that lap time can most easily be harvested from.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman

In Izzone's video, the entry is pretty darn good (close to the wall and not early) and the "hang time" at the inside close to the wall is good, too.

The problem is that the red, then green lights (long g above a low threshold) are flashing from turn-in to the point where you can see the exit too much and too long (read=not-finished-slowing-down and ending with ambiguous throttle application until he's SURE he's going to be ok).

You can hear him whack the throttle as soon as he sees his way out, but by then, it's too late. That throttle needs to come up sooner and more linearly. We need to see solid green as soon as the car is pointed towards the apex and before it.
Yup, although with TraqMate, I really don't pay as much atttention to the red & green lights, since there is often lag with longitudinal G loading. But the audio is unmistakeable..(sp.?)

T1 is quite a leap of faith corner for many folks. But with appropriate coaching, they often learn how to judge instantly whether their entry is good, which usually predicates a good exit and track out, allowing early & steady throttle as we both advocate. The pros know how to judge their trajectory before it even begins, and thus know exactly how/where they will end up, as you say.

But it often takes someone in the right seat saying "OK, roll on power NOW! Begin unwinding steering NOW!"
Old 01-22-2012, 01:23 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Krause Paradigm #4: The difference between amateur and pro drivers is that pros place their cars on a trajectory and accelerate before it's clear that they're going to make it out of the corner on that trajectory and with that early and optimistic level of throttle input.

That "thinking" time (am I going to make it?) is the equivocal throttle time that lap time can most easily be harvested from.
This is absolutely true from my experience. It is the ability to get back to throttle on trust and instinct (and skillz) well before 'making the corner' is certain that makes time (or saves it, more correctly). This is really why 'rolling' the corner, 'bending' the car, 'gentle early turn in', etc., is required to go fast. If the car is still over-heavily loaded by latGs or longGs so that it is 'unbalanced' by faulty cornering technique, that earlier/earliest throttle application cannot happen. The "car" is at its limit only because the drover is over his...

My only experience with a "Pro" was with Andy Lally. It took a long time for me to understand the above when he told me the same then and to 'get' his vid instruction of adding a small amount of throttle as soon as TB-ing was completed (as shown by the "inch" sign to the camera). Not that I can do it mind you. But at least I know what I should be doing.. lol!!

Nice stuff Peter, VR, and all!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the mid-eighties, when I started this game, and again last year, as I started back up, my coaches have all driven the same point home. It translates, more or less, into the current concept:

If I don't get into the throttle, we will not make it. This instantaneous thought really helps mitigate the lingering doubt about "what will happen if I roll into it" by replacing it with an absolute: The throttle must be on to set the rear and glue us down.

I don't think "faster", I think glue the car and go.

Quick Reply: Reconfigured Turn One at Sebring