Sponsored by:

Help Me Understand Diesel Own/Operate/Maintain

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I am new to diesel ownership and need some input on driving tips, operation and maintenance. I have been so I know oil changes at 5k, fuel filters at 10k.
What other items should I keep an eye on?
What about Cetane additive? Necessary? When?
Another thing about that motor. Only run Ford's engine coolant. It takes a special kind that is good for their EGR system.

A lot of people ran into problems in the 6.0s with that. The 6.4 is not as prone but I still would not risk it. The biggest issues for the 6.4s were the radiator end tanks. Most of them have had them replaced by now via a factory TSB.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:09 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Another thing about that motor. Only run Ford's engine coolant. It takes a special kind that is good for their EGR system.

A lot of people ran into problems in the 6.0s with that. The 6.4 is not as prone but I still would not risk it. The biggest issues for the 6.4s were the radiator end tanks. Most of them have had them replaced by now via a factory TSB.
Randy if you didn't buy it from a dealer I would stop by with the truck and have them run an "Oasis" report which will show any dealer service or repairs. You can then inquire about any TSB's that may need to be addressed like those radiator end tanks. I've run Stanadyne Performance Formula in my 6 liter since it was new. Have no idea if it makes any difference but I haven't had any of the usual 6 liter issues....
Old 01-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Better stopping but more dust.
Timely info. Fronts will be due in another 10k. Thanks gents.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Because of engine concerns and lack of knowledge about diesels I bought a Certified truck from a local dealer. It also came with an additional 200k mile power train warranty. We did check the Oasis report. Only issue that stood out was the rear main seal was replaced early in its life. I will have them check for TSBs.

Is it bad on the engine to do short runs to the store? I will have to do short runs sometimes to keep the battery up and the bearings and brakes lubed and operating.

Do you guys fill up at truck stops? Is the fuel the same as long as it is fresh? I was reading about fresh fuel. That surprised me. I had no idea the fuel quality could vary and deteriorate so quickly.

What about maintenance? Do you guys change the oil and fuel filters yourselves? I have no concerns about the oil, but the fuel filters are an unknown. I want to do both of these as DIYs.

I planned to wait till the pads wear out before upgrading to the Hawks. A friend who pulls a loaded 40 FT goose changes out the pads as soon as he buys a new truck. Are the stock pads that bad?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Because of engine concerns and lack of knowledge about diesels I bought a Certified truck from a local dealer. It also came with an additional 200k mile power train warranty. We did check the Oasis report. Only issue that stood out was the rear main seal was replaced early in its life. I will have them check for TSBs.

It'll be fine, there are a gazillion of these things on the road. Out here, that's all people use

Is it bad on the engine to do short runs to the store? I will have to do short runs sometimes to keep the battery up and the bearings and brakes lubed and operating.

Best thing here is to let it idle forever, drive it, let it idle while yer shopping, etc. Folks let 'em 8 hrs a day for stop and go work, feeding or oil field use, no big deal

Do you guys fill up at truck stops? Is the fuel the same as long as it is fresh? I was reading about fresh fuel. That surprised me. I had no idea the fuel quality could vary and deteriorate so quickly.

Fuel can be a pain at times, you'll find yer favorite spots. You'll learn quickly to recognize the green flash at signs at convenience stoes, which ones ae easy to get to, etc. Often truck stops on major highways are just that - and are organized around fleet cards, thus you cannot use their pumps - but they will also have retail pumps

What about maintenance? Do you guys change the oil and fuel filters yourselves? I have no concerns about the oil, but the fuel filters are an unknown. I want to do both of these as DIYs.

Do it all most of the time. All maint items in all qualities are readily aval at yer local NAPA, Autozone or whatever and even the kids at the desk are up to date on what you want - this ain't a 25 year old air cooled Porsche!

I planned to wait till the pads wear out before upgrading to the Hawks. A friend who pulls a loaded 40 FT goose changes out the pads as soon as he buys a new truck. Are the stock pads that bad?
I've worked out of these trucks for fourty years, as has everybody I know around here...ain't nobody ever used anything but plain 'ole pads...but I might try an upgraded set, makes sense.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2003 Chevy Duramax/Allison combo and I change oil & filters as per manufacurer's maintenance schedule. I don't do anything else except drive it (hard). 110k miles and only issue to date is replacement of injectors under warranty. Best truck I've ever owned and I will never own a gas powered tow vehicle again.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Eifeler
Pro

I would define a short run as a trip that ends before the engine gets up to temp. Many short runs will lead to bad things like to much fuel in your oil.

The stock pads seem to work fine for me, even when towing heavy but based on multiple endorsements the Hawks seem worth a try.

Oil changes are simple. One of the fuel filters is a bit of a hassle to swap out.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:28 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Great thread. I bought an F250 recently where the injectors and EGR were recently replaced under warranty and the shop that did the PPI said that was a real plus to the truck. They suggest the fuel filter be changed every other oil change. Maintainence seems to be the key to diesels.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by good hands
Great thread. I bought an F250 recently where the injectors and EGR were recently replaced under warranty and the shop that did the PPI said that was a real plus to the truck. They suggest the fuel filter be changed every other oil change. Maintainence seems to be the key to diesels.
The 2006 Super Duty has the 6.0hno motor which was a huge black eye for Ford. DO NOT CHIP IT if you want it to last.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Tim
Racer

Only run Ford's engine coolant. It takes a special kind that is good for their EGR system
Not necessarily correct.. The Ford 6.4 Powerstroke was manufactured by Navistar.. Ford is using a coolant contra to what Navistar uses..

The Ford coolant is gold... many people when doing coolant flushes use the Fleetguard ELC (red coolant) which is what would be in the 6.4 if the engine was in a truck other than a Ford... i.e. one of the medium duty trucks

Also not sure where you are located, but in the northern states in the cold months the fuel is a diesel blend(winter blend). where kero is added to raise the gel point...

Also the fuel additives like Stanadyne or Diesel-Kleen , raise the cetane a few points, and raise the gel point...

You can read until your cross-eyed on a site like http://www.thedieselstop.com about light duty diesels..
Old 01-13-2012, 02:47 PM
6point3
5th Gear

Go with the Hawk HP Super Duty from Tire Rack. I have a 05 Dodge Cummins that has towed everything from an 18ft open trailer to a 10k lb, 35ft camper. These pads are work great. I bought it new and the only additive I have ever used was Lubro Moly Hi Test Diesel...used in my Mercedes diesels for 20 years with no harm. Also tried Monster Diesel only because it was premixed at a station here in the Baltimore area, no improvement. And yes, fuel filters are very important on these modern diesels! Another thing is do the transmission and differential services earlier the recommended.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:50 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I have another question. What gauge can I use to measure tire inflation? 75 psi is recommened. How do you check/put air in the inside back tires?

How many people are doing their own maintanence?
Old 01-14-2012, 08:26 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Insure the outside wheel is mounted so you have access to the inner valve.

Go to NAPA or similar and get a big boy truck gauge; it'll be long enough and read high enough, same with a longer air chuck.

Some guys use valve extensions, but I've broken them with chunks of frozen mud.

It'll all come together and you'll love your truck, don't worry. I do my own maint most of the time, but also enjoy the luxury (and expense!!) of paying the dealer to do it when my shop is full, or I'm lazy, or feeling rich or simply foolish enough to throw money away.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:19 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim
Not necessarily correct.. The Ford 6.4 Powerstroke was manufactured by Navistar.. Ford is using a coolant contra to what Navistar uses..

The Ford coolant is gold... many people when doing coolant flushes use the Fleetguard ELC (red coolant) which is what would be in the 6.4 if the engine was in a truck other than a Ford... i.e. one of the medium duty trucks

Also not sure where you are located, but in the northern states in the cold months the fuel is a diesel blend(winter blend). where kero is added to raise the gel point...

Also the fuel additives like Stanadyne or Diesel-Kleen , raise the cetane a few points, and raise the gel point...

You can read until your cross-eyed on a site like http://www.thedieselstop.com about light duty diesels..
We use to even cut it more with kero than we could get from winter mix for our arrow boards and variable message signs. Now we have solar so we just have to worry about the batteries freezing.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I have another question. What gauge can I use to measure tire inflation?
http://www.realtruck.com/longacre-ra...ges/50348.html

Quick Reply: Help Me Understand Diesel Own/Operate/Maintain