Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious about "mid-gaggle" GT3 cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:09 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's my point JR. (geez, I hope I don't sound Kibortian...).

It's a GT class and we can thus do damn near anything with our engines, regardless of it's type.

PCA has determined that we can derive more hp from a water cooled engine than an air cooled. I concur.

If each of us had $50K to spend, and each of us built an engine to the hilt, I can easily imagine that the water pumper would generate "X" more hp than the air cooled one...I believe 23% is a valid number.

I do wonder how true this is, perhaps others could chime in...let's say a well developed engine easily capable of lasting two entire seasons of t/t, practices and a full card of events...
Old 01-01-2012, 12:24 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Scott I'm not talking about GT3 motors or even M97 (997) motors, just the 3.6 M96 motor which was built from 02' 04'. They were listed as 320 flywheel HP, about 282 whp. That's the motor PCA attachedd a 135X multiplier to versus 110X for the 3.6 air cooled motor. There aren't any built M96 motors except the X51 package which put out 345 flywheel HP, around 305 to the wheels.
The fact that there "aren't any built M96 motors" is not really relevant. The simple fact is that you can get a lot more power out of the water cooled, four valves per cylinder, 3.6L M96 motor than you can any of the 3.6L air-cooled motors.

Are the multipliers perfect? Probably not. But I bet they are close.

It's funny how differently one sees this issue depending on which type of motor is in one's race car......

Scott
Old 01-01-2012, 01:48 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
The fact that there "aren't any built M96 motors" is not really relevant. The simple fact is that you can get a lot more power out of the water cooled, four valves per cylinder, 3.6L M96 motor than you can any of the 3.6L air-cooled motors.

It's funny how differently one sees this issue depending on which type of motor is in one's race car......

Scott
The fact I have a horse in this race doesn't change the validity of my point. 500 lbs is too much of a handicap to overcome...
Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by winders

Scott
A simple power to weight classing system would make all of this irrelevant.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:57 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Yep....
Old 01-01-2012, 06:13 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Yep....
+964 Yep, and take some of the ungodly money out, unless a guy wanted to spend it.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:36 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 255 Posts

INHO the multiplier for 6 cyl. air cooled motors (110) and 6 cyl water cooled motors (135) is way out of whack. Had I run my 3.4 996 at Rennsport I would have been racing against Gamroth's factory 993 RSR with it's monster 3.8 and I would be 325 lbs heavier. My car is a purpose built race car and one of the fastest 996's around but that handicap is excessive and insurmountable.....

An even more glaring example would be comparing 3.6 motors in both a air cooled car and a 996. The weight difference in GT3 would be 500 lbs....
Agreed, but I think the multiplier system in general is flawed. If you build your car out to maximize handling (suspension, big rubber, body work) you get forced into the GT class. With the multiplier system you are now also forced to make engine mods in order to be competitive.

That's why hp/wt is a much better system. It allows you to modify to the point your budget allows and still remain competitive. The GT class system forces a full build out, handling and engine, to run at the front.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:45 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 702 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
While I don't disagree, enforcement is the issue. Dyno sheets can be falsified, and having a dyno at the track is not cheap...who's going to pay for it?

Its easy to weigh a car, and fairly easy to determine displacement...If you can't enforce HP, what's the point?

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does NASA pay for their dyno? How much does it cost to rent a dyno for 3 days?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:23 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I've said it before... I'd definitely support a reworking of the GT class structure to follow HP/weight (much like NASA GTS).

However, I won't hold my breath. It just makes far too much sense to be able to run the same car competitively in two different organizations, and to have rules that actually encourage parity and cost containment.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
It just makes far too much sense to be able to run the same car competitively in two different organizations, and to have rules that actually encourage parity and cost containment.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:24 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ninjabones
I've said it before... I'd definitely support a reworking of the GT class structure to follow HP/weight (much like NASA GTS).

However, I won't hold my breath. It just makes far too much sense to be able to run the same car competitively in two different organizations, and to have rules that actually encourage parity and cost containment.
That's exactly what we did out west in the POC. We just completed our 2nd year of weight/WHP classes and they've really taken off. We've had many racers building cars for the specific classes and having Yokohama's generous contingency has really been helpful (same as in NASA). I race in both POC and NASA....
Old 01-01-2012, 09:42 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by naroescape
While I don't disagree, enforcement is the issue. Dyno sheets can be falsified, and having a dyno at the track is not cheap...who's going to pay for it?
Its easy to weigh a car, and fairly easy to determine displacement...If you can't enforce HP, what's the point?
Originally Posted by Astroman
How does NASA pay for their dyno? How much does it cost to rent a dyno for 3 days?
Yes a dyno can be manipulated. Out here in Cali, a few of the tracks we run at with NASA(Sears, Thunderhill, and Buttonwillow) have Dynojets onsite and I've been dyno'd several times for compliance (always OK).

With POC we hire a portable dyno (Dyno Dynamics 4500) to come to 2 of our events each season in addition to running at the tracks mentioned above. We require everyone running our GT classes (weight/whp) to dyno on that particular machine and in the presence of a POC official. We set tire pressures (30 slicks, 35 DOT's), check for full throttle/pedal operation, and look for mutiple maps when we can like with Motec. When we run compliance dyno's on the Dynojets we first create a baseline with a few donor cars like 2010/2011 cups which all dyno about 415 rwhp. This allows us to compare the 2 different machines as Dynojets usually dyno a little higher).

NASA works out a deal with their Dynojets, something like $65 per car and they pay for the complaince dyno's. POC does the same at the 3 tracks w/Dynojets, but pay a set fee for the Dyno Dynamics dyno and then charge everyone a reasonable price for their 3 pulls. IIRC it's $50. We can dyno about 25 cars in a day which is about break even with costs. We expect to lose a little, but it's so important to have the our drivers have faith in the system and know we're dilgently policing the cars. We also also allow protest dyno's which may include confiscating a car and transporting it to our dyno for testing. The protestor would be required to post a $500 or more bond to cover all costs and would be reimbursed if the car was found to be out of class....
Old 01-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Weight/hp is the weigh (sic) to go IMHO.

NASA are looking to obviate the need for dyno sheets (real or manipulated) by using data systems to extrapolate hp. Basically they'll put a Traqmate in select cars before a race, weigh them after and determine hp and from that data, and from it, Class.

I don't know anything about PCA multipliers, or much about what power potential lie in
an a/c 3.6 and an H20 (non-GT3) 3.6, but intuitively 500 lbs sounds like an extreme delta between the two. I'd be interested to know what real world numbers are achievable form both motors.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

I don't know anything about PCA multipliers, or much about what power potential lie in
an a/c 3.6 and an H20 (non-GT3) 3.6, but intuitively 500 lbs sounds like an extreme delta between the two. I'd be interested to know what real world numbers are achievable form both motors.

While I'd hate to get into the "my shop can do this for $x,xxx" game, it would be very interesting to toss a few numbers out; AC vs. WC and see where the rainbow falls.

It's well known that say $40K will get you a dyanamite 3.8 AC engine at 110hp/L and that this is just about the max build for a engine which will give dependable service over the course of two long seasons.

Quick Reply: Curious about "mid-gaggle" GT3 cars