Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Affordable data acquisition for pre-OBD-II cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011 | 09:32 AM
67King
Race Car

Default Affordable data acquisition for pre-OBD-II cars?

I may just get an AIM Solo, but I know that long term, I'd like to have a few more channels (some from the PCM, some from other sensors) that it won't give me. Examples are RPM and air meter readings at first, then later I'd like to add brake pressure and steering input. Possibly even some thermocouple data. Since the car is pre-OBD-II, I don't ahve the luxury of tapping into the onboard diagnostic sysem/CAN.

Is there anything out there that will give me the ability to add a few inputs in any manner without spending a ton of money? Looks like Traqmate will, but to add the inputs, I have to spend a lot of money.

I'm thinking that I should probably just buy a Solo for now, and then upgrade at a later point in time. Any better advice?
Old 12-27-2011 | 09:55 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I use the AIM Gold MyChron Gold on my 951 race car and really like it. In addition to time/rpm/speed, I monitor engine data like oil pressure/temp, water temp, a/f ratio, exhaust temp, etc... It can manage 5 analog channels in addition to rpm/time/speed and it's very expensive at all. The connections are easy to make (a single wire in most cases) and the sensors are not expensive.
If you're thinking used, there is one of these in a race car I'm about to pull apart - I was going to sell it for $250.
Cheers,
Rick
Old 12-27-2011 | 10:18 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rick
I use the AIM Gold MyChron Gold on my 951 race car and really like it. In addition to time/rpm/speed, I monitor engine data like oil pressure/temp, water temp, a/f ratio, exhaust temp, etc... It can manage 5 analog channels in addition to rpm/time/speed and it's very expensive at all. The connections are easy to make (a single wire in most cases) and the sensors are not expensive.
If you're thinking used, there is one of these in a race car I'm about to pull apart - I was going to sell it for $250.
Cheers,
Rick
Thanks, let me look into it. Wasn't thinking used, as I can get dealer prices on AIM stuff, but it sounds like a powerful system, so I am probably very interested.
Old 12-27-2011 | 11:19 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

You may look at AiM Solo DL plus RPM bridge

http://store.bimmerworld.com/aim-sma...ion-p1601.aspx

AiM web site for some reasons does not show that but you can look up at smartycam data feeders, it should be same for Solo DL as I understand it.

Quick Reply: Affordable data acquisition for pre-OBD-II cars?