Sponsored by:

AIM Smarty Cam vs. Smarty GP (bullet) Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Gary

Are you saying that a re-load of the latest MXL firmware fixed your problem?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Gary

Are you saying that a re-load of the latest MXL firmware fixed your problem?
Nope. All I did, after wiping out all the tracks in the SC (and reinstalling the latest), was re-transmit the MXL configuration (it clears what is in there when you do). I tried to reload the firmware using the new "update all" executable but it shows all is up to date, nothing to do. I could try and force a flash but I want to see if this took care of it. I turned the car on/off a bunch of times and the MXL seemed stable, functional, and it didn't reset itself. It was even getting 9-10 satellites in my garage. As soon as I get her of the lift i'll see what happens driving it around a bit, then once on track if I actually get lap times I will call it "fixed"..
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Thanks, Gary and Jerry.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Peter, that's why I suggested that once I make a mount the auto-start feature may start/stop more accurately. It is literally velcro-stripped to the shifter cables - cuz dat's how I roll, nice and get-OH!!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
Peter, cuz dat's how I roll, nice and get-OH!!
We know that, JC!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=amso3;9251123] "...one of my drivers mounted his regular SC at 90 degrees, that's with the screen on the side. I was surprised to see that the video was oriented correctly on playback. Good news for the cameras mounted on the roll bar, it makes it much easier to see the screen and run the control buttons. "

Just tried this on my new setup with MXL & SC and video not oriented correctly. Any idea how he got it to work? i thought after calibration it might flip the picture but no luck.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

[quote=obsessedone;9653585]
"...one of my drivers mounted his regular SC at 90 degrees, that's with the screen on the side. I was surprised to see that the video was oriented correctly on playback. Good news for the cameras mounted on the roll bar, it makes it much easier to see the screen and run the control buttons. "

Just tried this on my new setup with MXL & SC and video not oriented correctly. Any idea how he got it to work? i thought after calibration it might flip the picture but no luck.
Depends on the version and hardware version. First thing to do is make sure the FW is up to date.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

[quote=Lolaman;9653841]
Originally Posted by obsessedone

Depends on the version and hardware version. First thing to do is make sure the FW is up to date.
Thanks for reply. Units are brand new, firmware versions match latest on AIM Sportline site...
Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

[quote=obsessedone;9653943]
Originally Posted by Lolaman

Thanks for reply. Units are brand new, firmware versions match latest on AIM Sportline site...
Good deal. I don't have an answer but will try and find out. I have seen what you are observing.

You can also call Josh Hanrahan on the AiM California support line.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:40 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

I might have been "wrong" (don't tell my wife) regarding the SC oriented 90 degrees from vertical. I did not verify that it worked, my customer said it did. I have subsequently tried this and it has not worked for me either. Sorry if this caused you some frustration.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

I might have been "wrong" (don't tell my wife) regarding the SC oriented 90 degrees from vertical. I did not verify that it worked, my customer said it did. I have subsequently tried this and it has not worked for me either. Sorry if this caused you some frustration.
AIM Tech this morning said it doesn't work at 90 - only up or down...
Old 07-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Peter Lolaman Krause...you'll have to ensure my Smartycam is up to your standards when I arrive at VIR in two weeks.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:53 PM
ms9811
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just completed a comparison test between the AIM Smarty Cam and the new Smarty Cam GP (bullet) camera. Both cameras were mounted side by side in a GT 3 Cup and ran on the Sebring track, probably the bumpiest paved track in the US. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the Smarty Cam because I had many issues with the early versions in Cup cars. Both videos are good, but the GP video is a little sharper. Both provided stable images (problem in the past). I connected both cameras to a data hub so both had ECU data (a way to run two cameras with full data if you want one on the driver and one out the windshield). I was able to run both videos side by side using VLC video software (launched VLC two times). It was easy to sync them as the videos have lap and time displayed). I've included a screen shot to show this. One more thing, the GP has a feature that allows you to select a 2X zoom, which works well from the roll bar behind the driver showing just the view out of the windshield. I can post a comparison shot if anyone is interested.

I do have 3 GP cameras in stock if anyone is interested. Price is $999
Was your bullet cam the 60 degree or the 120 degree model?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

120 was all that was available in the beginning, but Jerry can tell you, I'm sure.

Stock on the old GP was 67 degrees, IIRC.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:03 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Actually this test was the NON-HD bullet. Not sure of the lens angle but AIM literature showed two choices 67 or 84. I believe I posted a video no RL to show the 120 lens on the first version of the SC HD GP. I'll be at Daytona this weekend. Ill do the same test with the newest SCHD beside the SC HD GP. I'll post that next week

Also, I think Coochas posted a video using the 120 lens in an open wheel car. Do a search vor that.

Quick Reply: AIM Smarty Cam vs. Smarty GP (bullet) Test