Sponsored by:

AIM Smarty Cam vs. Smarty GP (bullet) Test

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:21 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default AIM Smarty Cam vs. Smarty GP (bullet) Test

I just completed a comparison test between the AIM Smarty Cam and the new Smarty Cam GP (bullet) camera. Both cameras were mounted side by side in a GT 3 Cup and ran on the Sebring track, probably the bumpiest paved track in the US. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the Smarty Cam because I had many issues with the early versions in Cup cars. Both videos are good, but the GP video is a little sharper. Both provided stable images (problem in the past). I connected both cameras to a data hub so both had ECU data (a way to run two cameras with full data if you want one on the driver and one out the windshield). I was able to run both videos side by side using VLC video software (launched VLC two times). It was easy to sync them as the videos have lap and time displayed). I've included a screen shot to show this. One more thing, the GP has a feature that allows you to select a 2X zoom, which works well from the roll bar behind the driver showing just the view out of the windshield. I can post a comparison shot if anyone is interested.

I do have 3 GP cameras in stock if anyone is interested. Price is $999
Attached Images  

Last edited by amso3; 12-21-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:33 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There must be an audio glitch which corresponds with the downshifts. I hear distinct crunching noises.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Both look really good! I too have been impressed with the GP packaging. I do a lot of work with formula cars and sports racing cars. For these, the GP is the ticket! Thanks for posting the videos!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
There must be an audio glitch which corresponds with the downshifts. I hear distinct crunching noises.
I'm guessing that was a factory 996 Cup. I've not driven anything like it, but clearly the box rewards crisp, decisive shifts and complains loudly on balking, fumbled shifts. It whines like straight cut gears and no syncro's and sounds like close ratios. Probably doesn't like idling along at 50% pace. There was even a "money shift" (2:10) that was fortunately at low speed. Either that box is already junk and just very hard to handle or the driver was new to the car. Very expensive machinery to refresh.

The new Smarty GP bullet cam looks like a great improvement.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:52 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I'd like to know more about the Zoom feature. The Device manager has several options as well. Not sure how that works.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:46 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

First comment. The car was new to the driver and first time at Sebring, so be kind!

Here is a screen shot of my computer screen of the Bullet camera at normal focal length on the left and the 2X option on the right. camera in exactly the same place in the car, behind the driver on the roll bar. The 2X video was shot in the rain thus much poorer quality, and remember this is a photo of my non-HD computer screen. I actually prefer the 2X as you can see the track and the apexes etc much better.
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:26 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Jerry!!! Totally digging the new camera and can't wait to try it early next year. Thanks again for all your help in hooking me up with the full AIM system + Smarty GP (bullet) and props to Dan Jacobs for the quick/clean/easy install!!! Merry Christmas!!!

Mike
Old 12-20-2011, 08:02 AM
GTThre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that the Brake application does not show when you apply the brake. Why? I had the same issue in my 2011 GT-3. I am going to install it in a 2011 GT-3 RS and hopefully get it to work. Anyone else have the issue or had the same issue?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTThre
I noticed that the Brake application does not show when you apply the brake. Why? I had the same issue in my 2011 GT-3. I am going to install it in a 2011 GT-3 RS and hopefully get it to work. Anyone else have the issue or had the same issue?
You can actuate the brake indicator on the SC by either a direct connection to the cars harness feeding a brake signal to it via an ECU bridge (or connection to another AiM logger getting vehicle information like a Solo DL) OR you can simply arrange the on-screen display of the SC to associate longitudinal G's with the accel/brake bars and show it that way. No sweat! Nice cars!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:43 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

GT thre

The video was taken in a Cup car with a Motec dash. The only data available using an ECU bridge is what is provided by the ECU. In the Cup car, there is no signal for the brake within the ECU signal. However, in your car, you should be able to get "brake pedal position" which would turn the "brake light" in the video on or off. You might also be able to see real brake pressure, like we were able to obtain from the ECU in our 09 Cayman S race car, I just have not installed one in that car so can not say for sure. You would need an ECU bridge or the SOLO DL with CAN wiring to get this data to the Smarty Cam
Old 02-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

Does the Smarty Cam or GP allow two cameras / Picture in Picture?

I have the AIM DaVid system with two cameras and data overlay, and I'm curious about the new offerings...
Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jack667
Does the Smarty Cam or GP allow two cameras / Picture in Picture?

I have the AIM DaVid system with two cameras and data overlay
No, no PIP or multi-view with the SmartyCam. SmartyCam offers fully configurable data overlay, but if you want PIP, stay with the DaVID.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks Peter
Old 02-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Well, since two cameras can run off the data hub how long before there is AIM PiP capability? What I would want is a non-data out the rear and data out the front.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Well, since two cameras can run off the data hub how long before there is AIM PiP capability?
My guess, a long time. Considering there is no way to play the SC video real-time and synced within an additional window in RS2 analysis, I don't see the additional capability of PiP being on the radar.

Now, I think you could power up and turn on recording on two SmartyCams from an AiM CAN data hub. Which leads to your next want...

Originally Posted by Gary R.
What I would want is a non-data out the rear and data out the front.
Some people do that now. Forward side SmartyCam with data overlay, you can easily load a SmartyCam video-only configuration in Smarty Manager for the rear facing one. Control both with the common data hub.

AiM's lack of PiP and video window synced with data x-y, histograms and scatter plots in their analysis program is one of the reasons some specify MoTeC (with DIVA), Race-Keeper or Video VBOX as alternatives.

Quick Reply: AIM Smarty Cam vs. Smarty GP (bullet) Test