Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIM Smarty Cam vs. Smarty GP (bullet) Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My issue is I get about 7 files per trip out to the asphalt...Mark F. of OG Racing fame tried different settings, I finally just turned it to manual mode and have been happy ever since.

I AIM (pun intended) to make a mounting platform for the control/viewing screen rather than have it velcro'd to the shifter mechanism where it can shake around and such...possibly the solid mount will offer more stability for the auto start function...and maybe the addition of an MXL Pista dash to power it up et al may assist in a better experience?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
?..possibly the solid mount will offer more stability for the auto start function...and maybe the addition of an MXL Pista dash to power it up et al may assist in a better experience?
Jeff, I use the "high" threshold for the auto-start feature. Crappy for the street, perfect for the track!

Would NOT recommend a solid mounting of any thing that has accelerometer measurement or logging. AIM doesn't recommend that. Maybe some super duper 3M rocketship Velcro would be good or the mount that Jerry put together with the RAM mount (rubber *****?!?!?)

I thought you were already running the camera as a a slave to another AIM logger? That would fix a lot of things!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Peter:
I did set the auto record threshold to "high" to avoid it recording trips to the gas pumps in the paddock. His had the current firmware on it from AIM. Going to check it the next time I see Jeff at the track.

Are you going to be at VIR for FSR PCA? If so, I'll come by and say hello.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Peter:
I did set the auto record threshold to "high" to avoid it recording trips to the gas pumps in the paddock. His had the current firmware on it from AIM. Going to check it the next time I see Jeff at the track.

Are you going to be at VIR for FSR PCA? If so, I'll come by and say hello.
Mark, I've had the SmartyCam begin to record even on "high" when it is not either level or has had the accelerometer calibrated under the "Settings" menu. Check that.

Will be at Summit for the Jefferson! Oh, well!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Who is my East Coast contact for AIM? My MXL has some "issues" and I need to talk to someone about it.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:57 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Who is my East Coast contact for AIM? My MXL has some "issues" and I need to talk to someone about it.
Gary, to begin with, who did you buy it from? That's where I'd start. The AiM dealer network is SUPPOSED to be able to answer these kinds of questions.

The next step is to call AiM Sportline on the West Coast and speak to Josh Hanrahan.

Generally for software, I recommend AiM trainer Roger Caddell. For hardware, Josh Hanrahan.

Of course, I provide that support gratis for my customers, and I'm selling enough so that I've been able to accumulate a great deal of experience in a very short period of time!

For software training, there are quite a few sources but the best are Roger and John Block. Use my name as a referral.

HTH.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter. Not to hijack this thread but the issues are that the MXL will take several attempts/car restarts to get GPS communication. Sometimes I get the "Slaves Net Error", sometimes I see a bunch of vertical lines in the same space, sometimes no message. I'll drive a bit and get no speed reading, stop and try again until I do. Now even once it works it will simply "reset" itself (I will see the screen flash blank for a second) and then i'm screwed. It always had the "Slave Net Error" issue on initial startup but would work after that. Not sure but this may have started after the latest Firmware update (both SC and MXL are on latest firmware. Jerry Austin looked at it at the Glen and we even put another SC on it, same thing. Even had one session where it said I had 12 Good Satellites and I got no lap time or speed (camera had Watkins Glen map). Yet another thing is the camera won't communicate (it sees it but hangs when trying to upload tracks from the camera) with my laptop with 1.06 SC Manager and only an old laptop with 1.05 would work. Same issue with camera #2.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I think Jerry and I have both been in contact with AiM in Italy to fix this issue and there's been progress made. I'm sure Jerry will be in touch with you!
Old 05-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I'm going to re-flash the MXL to see if that helps..
Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Jerry had told me not to install 1.07 but I went ahead and updated GPS Manager, SC manager, and the latest RSC after trying 1.05 and 1.06 on two computers without success. Guess what, 1.07 works! I emptied the camera of "non-matching tracks" so it has all the latest versions, next is to go work on the MXL..
Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yep, that's what Jerry and I found, as well.

90% of the issues are incomplete (either not each component updated to the latest FW or not allowing the update to complete, corrupting the install, period.

With the power of the AIM equipment comes a measure of complexity. In the few cases I've trouble with, it's taken me some digging to fix the issue, but once done, the equipment works well. Not plug n play like TM or VVB but much more powerful at a price point a great deal more favorable than MoTeC...
Old 05-12-2012, 10:39 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get brief audio cut every 15 or 20 seconds on my smarty cam connected to aim pista. Connections seem tight. Any ideas?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Yep, that's what Jerry and I found, as well.

90% of the issues are incomplete (either not each component updated to the latest FW or not allowing the update to complete, corrupting the install, period.

With the power of the AIM equipment comes a measure of complexity. In the few cases I've trouble with, it's taken me some digging to fix the issue, but once done, the equipment works well. Not plug n play like TM or VVB but much more powerful at a price point a great deal more favorable than MoTeC...
Put the car up on the lift and re-installed the MXL setup which erased what was on there. I tried (in my garage) restarting the MXL several times and it seemed to work perfectly. I modified the SC overlay, that installed fine. All I can do now is drop it after I do my tech inspection for WGI and run it down my driveway to see what works. It's nice to see that I can at least communicate with all the hardware now!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Gary

AIM fixed the bugs that Peter and I discovered. The Smarty Manager 1.07.02 seems to work fine. However, I did determine that you can not load track maps into the SC GP with out a memory card installed. This might also be true for the regular SC as well

Rickg87,

Explain what "brief audio cut every 15 or 20 seconds on my smarty cam" means. I'd check your SC Menu for SC audio settings. You you should be at 0% external (unless you have one) mic and 100% internal
Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amso3
Gary

AIM fixed the bugs that Peter and I discovered. The Smarty Manager 1.07.02 seems to work fine. However, I did determine that you can not load track maps into the SC GP with out a memory card installed. This might also be true for the regular SC as well
Jerry - The five track maps that were loaded in my SC (including Watkins Glen, that we loaded at the track this week), were a different version than what SCM 1.07 had so I wiped everything on there out and sent the new maps over. Not sure if it will matter but it seems that when the firmware changed it required the latest version of everything to be installed, at least on my computers...

Quick Reply: AIM Smarty Cam vs. Smarty GP (bullet) Test