Sponsored by:

AIM Smarty Cam vs. Smarty GP (bullet) Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Amso3, nice setup.
It's cool to see what people come up with in their race cars for convenience, etc.

What hardware (the black components, I know the metal parts were fabbed and roll bar tab et al) we're used?

So far I have a "RAM" mount for the camera and may have to use Velcro for this weekend to hold the unit in a pinch.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The roll bar mount (the stainless piece) is something I fabricated early but I use the RAM mounts now.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Ram Mount =

Just put the lipstick cam in last night and "searched" for a good ignition on/off 12v source...damn Cayman...could only find an always on 12v source - that'll do for this weekend.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Jeff, I recommend downstream of the Master and upstream from any dash or column mounted ignition switch. See you Friday.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

There will be NO "streams" in my car!

See you there Peter. Mark F. will be there, one of his immediate "duties" is to ensure I have all the latest firmware, tracks, etc. loaded up.

I'm in good hands indeed.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Thought I'd post that I now have the Smarty Cam GPs in stock. I waited about 10 weeks to get them.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Just a heads up, do NOT update the firmware in your SmartyCam and not in your MXL, the end effect being your MXl will not get the GPS signal, you will have no data, and video will be "maybe".. ask me how I know!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Just a heads up, do NOT update the firmware in your SmartyCam and not in your MXL, the end effect being your MXl will not get the GPS signal, you will have no data, and video will be "maybe".. ask me how I know!
That sux. I have to admit I use this as a total "user input" system due to all of its quirks.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
That sux. I have to admit I use this as a total "user input" system due to all of its quirks.
I'm sorry to hear that, guys. I do know that the first troubleshooting step is to use ALL the latest f/w versions on EACH component and get them ONLY from the AIM Sportline (OEM) site as the US AiM Sports site is notoriously out of date. Not sure why there are issues.

Perhaps a call to your dealers or better yet, to either Josh Hanrahan in the Wesr Coast office of AiM Sports or Roger Caddell might facilitate a solution.

I have four MXL/SC combos out there in the last six weeks that work well together and no one has to touch a thing...

It's not supposed to be "quirky." It should be "set it and forget it," but there are enough "software switches" in the configuration and operation that everything needs to be set right.

I know 930man had issues when his existing MXL had its f/w updated by another dealer, but not the SC f/w. Fixed now!

JC, you're just "skeert." <grin>
Old 05-05-2012, 03:56 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amso3
Thought I'd post that I now have the Smarty Cam GPs in stock. I waited about 10 weeks to get them.
Yep, and half of mine are already gone! Thanks RLers!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
I'm sorry to hear that, guys. I do know that the first troubleshooting step is to use ALL the latest f/w versions on EACH component and get them ONLY from the AIM Sportline (OEM) site as the US AiM Sports site is notoriously out of date. Not sure why there are issues.
Roger told us the US site is usually a few weeks behind becuase they wait for any bugs to be found in the updates before they put the updates on the US site. Hopefully this means that if you follow the US website you won't have problems.....
Old 05-05-2012, 09:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Hopefully this means that if you follow the US website you won't have problems.....
I have found that the spotty, sometimes contradicting pages and info on the US site to be much more than a selective vetting problem. Current pages link to outdated information and when the current release of Race Studio isn't on for nearly a year after release, that's not a good thing. Just don't think they have anyone who has gone through it for them in a very, very long time.

My experience is that as long as I have been using the AIM Sportline site, I've had no problems...
Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Agree with Peter on the websites. I do not go to the US site any longer. I am hearing of a few issues with the new SOLO firmware released a couple days ago.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amso3
I am hearing of a few issues with the new SOLO firmware released a couple days ago.
That's why I AM waiting on the Solo f/w update. More concerned about the potential loss of certain aspects of SmartyCam functionality and status reports. The immediately preceding release is well vetted and works fine for me and my clients.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

My issue wasn't AIM's fault, I simply didn't have access to the car when I decided to update the SC's firmware. As soon as i thought of it (between race #1 and #2 at LRP) I ran the "All-in-one Firmware updater" and it updated the MXL and my Data Key to the latest versions (and would have done the SC too), all was well after that, works perfectly.

Quick Reply: AIM Smarty Cam vs. Smarty GP (bullet) Test