Sponsored by:

Aux diesel fuel tank question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Aux diesel fuel tank question

Now that I'm hauling a 28' trailer, it has become a pain to find a gas station that I can easily get in and out of. Of course I can alway find a truck stop but that is not as convenient.

My '08 F250 King Ranch has a wimpy tank of 28 gallons. I'm thinking of adding an auxiliary tank in the bed of the truck. It must be short so that I can keep my truck cover (Undercover brand) in place. I don't need any fancy electronics so I'm considering a 45 gallon setup from Northern Tool that is gravity fed

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._541559_541559
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5501_200315501

Anyone else go this route? Issues that I should know of before ordering?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Tim
I've had the same concern; my 2008 short bed crew cab (F250) had the same tank. New truck is a long bed, and I bought it in part to get a more manly tank (38 gallons).
Over on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forums there is a lot of talk about a product called a Titan tank, which I believe replaces your existing tank with a much larger after market version. Apparently it better fits the existing space.
I don't have any personal experience but it might be more preferable than putting a tank in the truck bed.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Rick. I looked at the Titan tanks, but the biggest I can get is a 47 gallon. By adding the in-bed tank, I'll have 73 gallons. That should get me from B'ham to Sebring or B'ham to VIR on one tank.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:07 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't you ever have to pee?.....

I had a 100 gal saddle tank in a previous dually with a 460 gas motor and had to run 2 lines and 2 valves for supply and recirulating line. I don't know if we have recirc lines with diesels but that's something to consider. I also ran an external fuel pump to make sure the fuel got up to the motor.....
Old 12-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

This is a gravity fed tank that keeps your regular tank full as long as there is diesel in the aux tank. You tap into the fill line of your normal tank.

"This RDS kit is designed to connect your auxiliary diesel fuel tank to your truck's fuel fill hose to provide consistent gravity feed of fuel. Automatically controls the fuel level going into your OEM tank so that it does not overfill."

Old 12-15-2011, 04:23 PM
nmercier853
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim I have a F450 with 38gal below and 54gal above. I built my own tank out of stainless steel and used a 12volt solenoid valve that opens and sping closed with a switch. 2 things. If your tank is above the fuel filler valve then you will leak fuel out of the cap (you have a vented cap). If you open the cap while it is totally full it will dump out. Also you can not cross state lines with more then 100gallons unless you have a permit so keep that in mind. Your idea will work and I highly recommend it.

I have a 1100 mile range not towing and 800miles towing. Filling up hurts.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Hi, I just bought last year a Titian fuel tank, 52 gallons fits 08 F350 short wheelbase. fit well no issues and just plain works. We have a 48' featherlite and yes is a pain to find a gas station to pull into. almost 6 hrs of range now.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:28 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 1100 mile range not towing and 800miles towing. Filling up hurts.

I can only imagine not stopping to pee hurts even worse.

But it would indeed be nice to fuel where and when you wanted to.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:04 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

@Ernie J.
Call Titan and get your commission I have been pondering this very issue and did not know about them. Solution works for me as I do not want to take up bed space and +50 is more than enough for my bladder. Order moments ago.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nmercier853
If your tank is above the fuel filler valve then you will leak fuel out of the cap (you have a vented cap). If you open the cap while it is totally full it will dump out.
The fuel line kit is supposed to deal with that issue, however, in reading the customer reviews, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Another thought, any issues with diesel if it is not used quickly?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Another thought, any issues with diesel if it is not used quickly?
Yes, depending on what type of diesel it is and what your definition of 'quickly' is.

http://amsca.com/files/Download/Fuel...age_diesel.pdf
Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I looked into the Titan tanks too but I have hesitated as I am told the gas gauge in my truck will often be wrong (ie. full for a VERY long time then suddenly empty) and the "Distance to Empty" gauge will always be wrong.

As well, I have been told that, at least in Canada, it is illegal to have a secondary tank constantly filling the main truck tank as pictured above (so tanks in Canada have a 12v pump that is used to fill the main tank manually).

Marc
Old 12-16-2011, 03:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

GMC 2500 stock tank was 26 gal
it had been replace with titan tank (you have to take off the oem tank), the titan holds 52 gal.
it works great.
to get the fuel gauge working you need the installer to reprogram it.
also, you can always set the "gal used" to zero when you fill up (i fill right to the cap, the last 3 gallons takes time and skill like pouring beer), then set gauge to zero. when it shows 51 gal used, i start looking for fuel. it's very accurate, i have never been out of fuel and i often push it right to 52 gal used.

think of it this way. say if you have oem tank. you fill up and set "gal used" to zero. you empty tank, gauge reads 26. you fill again to 26, dont reset computer. empty the tank. it will read 52. the "gal used" gauge should not care what tank you have, it only cares about how much was used up.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, depending on what type of diesel it is and what your definition of 'quickly' is.

http://amsca.com/files/Download/Fuel...age_diesel.pdf
It won't be sitting that long but I may need to add a stabilizer during the summer months.

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw

As well, I have been told that, at least in Canada, it is illegal to have a secondary tank constantly filling the main truck tank as pictured above (so tanks in Canada have a 12v pump that is used to fill the main tank manually).

Marc
I will likely put in a 12V valve and open it when fuel is needed in the main tank.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Yes , you should add fuel stablizer, since some bio diesel is in our fuel, if the truck sits a long time like from nov till feb "sebring". Fuel gauge reads fine, except at last 1/8, 50 miles to empty is really 100 miles, 25miles to empty is 50 miles, sending unit does'nt know the tank is twice as big. Last year twice to Sebring, st Petes, Long Beach, Miller, M-O 3x , WG 2x , NJMP plus Mosport 4x. The big tank just makes life so much nicer, you can make time, instead of looking for a truck stop every 2.5 hrs.

Quick Reply: Aux diesel fuel tank question