Sponsored by:

Stand21 suit order questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stand21 suit order questions

'Lil Audrey has indicated she'd like me to have a Stand21 suit for Christmas (we should all have such understanding wives). Anyway...

I've done enough research to know what I want and here it ends. Their website sucks as far as suit design and color representation goes and their nice hardcopy brochure ain't much help either.

I phoned Atlanta to ask if they had a better source for designs and colors, as well as to reaffirm what I thought I knew about the measure and order process. Really nice fellow with a continental accent helped me out by saying they had nothing more and they they strongly discouraged self measurement.

I can't disagree and would dearly love to make it to Florida, California or Georgia within the next 6 weeks, but don't see the path there, much less the cost of a flight and overnight on top of an already expensive suit.

Any thoughts or words of advice here?

Merry Christmas, Kai and the Bugtussle crew.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:34 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a local tailor shop is what I would do. The link below may also help.

www.hickeyfreeman.com web page has fitting suggestions. They sell their suit and tuxedo line online and tailor to fit.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I've had Stand21 two suits- the last one made to measure.
Word of caution- if you are going to take your own measurements ( I did) be somewhat generous.
I thought that they would take my numbers and make allowances- they didn't. I love my suit but I'm now on a perma-diet to not gain an oz. Good incentive.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Stand21 suits tend to run slim and long verses other suits. Any particular reason for going made-to-measure?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Word of caution- if you are going to take your own measurements ( I did) be somewhat generous.
+1

You always want a suit that seems loose rather than tight.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nizer
Stand21 suits tend to run slim and long verses other suits. Any particular reason for going made-to-measure?
At 5'10" I wear a 42 sport jacket which still is a bit snug on the shoulders and flops badly at the waist; I've never had a rack anything fit properly, much less Euro cut.

I'm still working on a "work around" for self-measurement (going to a taylor in the city with instructions from Stand might be an idea) and hope to find someone at Stand21 CA who might have a tip; will call this AM.

Anybody else?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:38 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Research the materials and options, there are many. They are currently running a sale on suits at their Atlanta shop (lots of them in all types) if you can get one to fit. Personal preference is the ST3000 which is like a pair of pajamas comfortable.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kai,
You should have slipped my ST3000 on this past weekend.
I'm 5'10" as well and I had mine cut roomy. I'm
sure Stand21 still have my measurements on file.
Tim
Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by disasterman
Research the materials and options, there are many. They are currently running a sale on suits at their Atlanta shop (lots of them in all types) if you can get one to fit. Personal preference is the ST3000 which is like a pair of pajamas comfortable.
This is indeed a great suggestion and I've done as much research as their terrible website(s) allow - the brochure, while pretty offers no further gains.

I'll be dammed if I'll fly out and spend another 2grand on top of a suit. Please don't slam me on this one, but the fact is at least at the moment, the order of a made to order Stand21 suit is proving to be difficult.

I know what I want, just need to find a design (the website is crap), see colors (the website is crap), explore options (the website is crap) and measure (told not to by a fellow in Atlanta).
Old 12-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently got a made to measure Stand 21 suit - Christmas present from last year. There is no real comparison between it and my Momo suit. It is much more comfortable and the fabric is much more breathable (great for those hot summer days). I had the measurements done at the LA office when I did a club race in April. It took a while to decide what design I wanted but I'm happy with what I got.

The measurements are pretty critical. When he first plugged mine into the computer, it flagged one of them as likely a mistake. He remeasured (it was 1/2" off) and the computer thought it was fine.

The suit fits much more closely than the old Momo. I had to get a Momo that was almost a size larger to get a good fit through the shoulders and be comfortable in a sitting position. This meant that I always had excess fabric in a couple spots that could lead to discomfort when tightly belted in. The made to measure at first felt to tight because I was used to the old suit. I got used to it in no time and am amazed that even though the fit is closer, it is easier to take on or off.

While I eventually got used to the (slow) website, going to the office was very helpful in understanding the options - stitching style, piping, embroidery, etc.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Well, what a difference a day makes.

Spoke with a delightful fellow in the CA office. He tells me to carefully follow their measurement instructions (likes the tailor idea) and to send them in with photos. They then use these and generate their own tolerances for proper suit fit.

I've found a stock design I like and will draft up the concept for them, they will return with a quote and suggestions. Upon agreement, we do up the suit.

I'm actually excited!

Quick Reply: Stand21 suit order questions