Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Austin update

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:42 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Heck even the Austin Folks will stay with VR -- :-) I'm sure there's plenty of floor space!

Then we'll rent out our places to the rest of the F1 lunatics :-)
I figure by 3 F1 races -- the mortgage will be paid off.

VR won't mind ......

Mike
Old 12-07-2011, 03:02 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Me & VR
That one raises the bar!
I've got three chairs going here and two patients in the waiting room and I'm watching two drinking emoticons.....
Old 12-07-2011, 03:17 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,535 Likes on 2,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Well played........ very subtle
Old 12-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug007
Because purpose built tracks are better...
Except when they are designed by Tilke...
(I'm completely for purpose built tracks, also in this case, but just tired of those Tilke "tracks")
Old 12-07-2011, 04:10 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
That one raises the bar!
I've got three chairs going here and two patients in the waiting room and I'm watching two drinking emoticons.....
Might as well roll over and have a drink yerself!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:02 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Well played........ very subtle
+1
Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

I hope Austin is a hit, I'm still a bit concerned about McCombs' follow through on this one - he let our Vikings die on the vine when he was the owner - I expect he will be extremely cost conscious in ways that may not enhance the experience - I was planning on going until New Jersey was announced but now my wife is planning a week in Manhattan in 2013 - she can't wait for the dates to be announced.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Austin is on! How about a group buy for a house in Austin, how is their real estate market?
Rich
Rich, you and Lou and the rest of the Gumbas are welcome to stay with us. At least you could stop in Houston and pick me up on the way. LOL
Old 12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 760 Likes on 378 Posts

a place to stay is what may keep us from coming out. I didn't think ahead and book early, now everything in the Austin area seems booked up, or EXTREMELY expensive. and anyplace available ($300/night!!) is over an hour away, WITHOUT the race traffic - probably 2-3 hours with it.

So $900 to stay, probably $500/ticket+ (I'll need 2), airfare, rental car, etc. to sit in traffic all morning for a 2 hour race, then sit in traffic all afternoon to go back to a motel in BF nowhere? Not sounding fun. Part of the fun of Montreal GP is staying downtown and partying all over town. And transportation is easy to the track.

Maybe I'm missing something....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Originally Posted by naroescape
a place to stay is what may keep us from coming out. I didn't think ahead and book early, now everything in the Austin area seems booked up, or EXTREMELY expensive. and anyplace available ($300/night!!) is over an hour away, WITHOUT the race traffic - probably 2-3 hours with it.

So $900 to stay, probably $500/ticket+ (I'll need 2), airfare, rental car, etc. to sit in traffic all morning for a 2 hour race, then sit in traffic all afternoon to go back to a motel in BF nowhere? Not sounding fun. Part of the fun of Montreal GP is staying downtown and partying all over town. And transportation is easy to the track.

I was all excited about getting to go to my first F1 race in Austin until I read your post, and the Canada GP is smack dab in the middle of a family vacation to the Grand Canyon and Sedona.

Maybe I should visit my cousin in Kuwait and go to the Abu Dhabi race?!!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,904 Likes on 981 Posts

Part of the fun of Montreal GP is staying downtown and partying all over town. And transportation is easy to the track.
+1 One of the best events to attend as a spectator (unless you can afford Monaco). Hopefully NJ will be similar.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

All well taken, but don't forget, a GP weekend is not a "2 hour race". You take in the whole thing, support races, two days, at least.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,695 Likes on 875 Posts

IMO wait a bit until making hotel reservations...the prices will drop when they don't sell out

Oh, and NJ/NY will cost 5x that much.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 760 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Oh, and NJ/NY will cost 5x that much.
You got that right!

However, I'm from NJ, so I'll have plenty of places to stay.

It's not necessarily the cost, it's the fact that every place I called is sold out. Will there be cancellations? I'm sure. Its the cost for what you get - the overall experience.

I'm thinking of waiting a year, then finding out where the best place to stay is based on access, entertainment, transportation, etc. Once they figure out what the circus will be like, it may be better. However, based on what's transpired to now, I don't think they see the train wreck that is bearing down on them. Kind of like Atlanta Olympics that underestimated the enormity of the show.

Will be interesting to see. Lets just hope the track is done in time...
Old 12-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,695 Likes on 875 Posts

Bob, they ain't sold out. Many of the hotels set aside huge blocks of rooms to try to scalp customers. In addition, many of the F1 tour groups block out large numbers of rooms. IMHO, they will not need all of them for the first event....

Quick Reply: F1 Austin update