Sponsored by:

Spec Boxster at the 25 Hours of Thill??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anytime buddy!

BTW: are you gonna run with us next year? Supposedly another car coming to Mid Atlantic this winter.

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
BTW: I just learned that I snagged the NASA Mid Atlantic Lap Record for Summit Point in TTD. My car ran in Spec Boxster trim ballasted up to 2850lbs and on some old 245/17 Hoosier R6s that I had in my garage.

http://www.nasaracing.net/wp-content...AP-RECORDS.xls
Hey Paul,
Thanks for posting that link. I never even knew I hold the track record there in Spec Box. Sweet!! [/QUOTE]
Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
CJ may be on a plane to Miami tonight. ESPN's reporting he's close to signing with them unless the Angels match Miami's 6 year offer. The Marlins are a NL team where CJ would get to swing the bat.
I'm only posting this to see if he'll respond....
I had heard about 2 months ago from an inside source at the Marlins that CJ was very high on their list of free agent adds. Not sure if the Buehrle signing changes anything. I'd hate to see him leave the Rangers but if he does, sure hope its to the NL and not the Angels!

The tracks in FL are not as much fun as the ones in TX, but at least he'll have more opportunity to DJ at the clubs in SoBe than he will here.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 AM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,
I'll be around. New motor going in the car this week then hopefully the car will make its way back to the body shop for a well deserved re-fresh. Its had 2 hard years of racing and it shows. Now that a certain person has finally been removed from NASA racing for good maybe I'll be able to run it longer between body shop visits!!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:52 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
I had heard about 2 months ago from an inside source at the Marlins that CJ was very high on their list of free agent adds. Not sure if the Buehrle signing changes anything. I'd hate to see him leave the Rangers but if he does, sure hope its to the NL and not the Angels!

The tracks in FL are not as much fun as the ones in TX, but at least he'll have more opportunity to DJ at the clubs in SoBe than he will here.
Sorry but the latest out of the winter meetings have him announcing with the Angels this morning. I too would like to see him in the NL where he can swing the bat, but I'd also be happy to see him home. Too bad the Dodgers are in the middle of a BK sale, that would have been a great fit...
Old 12-08-2011, 12:19 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats to CJ if the news I read is correct. Maybe now he can upgrade from that decrepit old car hauler to something classy LOL... I kid out of jealousy.

When we pulled in to THill on Thursday I asked my wife for one of those for Christmas... didn't work too well!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:21 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry but the latest out of the winter meetings have him announcing with the Angels this morning. I too would like to see him in the NL where he can swing the bat, but I'd also be happy to see him home. Too bad the Dodgers are in the middle of a BK sale, that would have been a great fit...
WOW! Pujols AND Wilson to the Angels! Just saw it confirmed on their site...
Does this mean we get CJ in some SoCal track events?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:34 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by eric523
WOW! Pujols AND Wilson to the Angels! Just saw it confirmed on their site...
Does this mean we get CJ in some SoCal track events?
Yea if he gets rid of the Mazdas
He's got a few P-cars in is garage already, we just need to get him in a 2012 cup now...
Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
John the main issue with running your 996 is you would have to do it in ES. there is no way you could manage tires in a 911 to keep it classed in e1 or even e0. in those classes you can only change one tire per stop and put in 10 gallons of fuel at a time...on front engine rear drive cars, the front right wears fastest and the right rear wears second fastest. on a rear engine car the rotation would be different and you'd probably lose a lot of accel grip with worn rears. gotta keep the front right fresh as much as possible because of the high speed turns like 1, the kink, 9, etc

with an actual SPEC boxster the transmission/clutch would for sure be the weak point. that car is easy on tires and brakes but the same issue applies with tire changes and fuel efficiency.

bimmers have small enough engines in terms of consumption but nothing outlasts the mx5 / miata platform in terms of fuel efficiency and brake efficiency. you can beat the hell out of them for the whole race.

driver error is the main cause of mazda failure while bimmers of a similar vintage have a host of issues being as they're assembled as really fast frankencars (e46 motor in e30 chassis etc) and they're a lot tougher on brakes.

the mercer car this year had no mechanical issues and was running laps at 155 pace despite being able to do a 1:46 they were able to double and triple stint tires by staying WAY under their limit.(although in ES you can do four tires each stop and a full tank of gas)
We've won E0 3 times with an E36 M3 with an essentially stock S52. The issues that prevented us from three-peating this year were 100% driver related. While BMW's are going to be harder on brakes our combination of Stoptechs and PFC 01's get us through the 25 with no brake changes. Strangely on our E36 the RF wears out first, followed by the LR. The RR goes third.

I too would like to see John's 996 at the 25. I think it could be a great E0 car - much better than our BMW - remember CJ, you can go behind the wall and change all 4 tires in E0 - I really don't think the time penalty is all that great if you plan ahead. There is, however, no way around the 10 gallon fill - but everyone in E0 is subject to that....

Let's do it next year John....being that I've "retired" from driving I'll crew chief it for you!

Scott Lang
Old 12-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the "Lost is Space" crew won (with an ES class 911) a few year ago they ran Toyo RA1s and had 4 tire changes in the race they ran a very large fuel tank to minimize stops. Doing it 1 tire at a time in E0 could be done, but I'd think the number of fuel stops would be more of an issue (I'd guess a stop every 45 minutes or so). At TH the right rear is the problem tire for me. My slicks don't last for more than 1.5 hours at that position on that track (at Sears Point I can go 4 hours without tires needing attention).
Old 12-09-2011, 01:31 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SRL
We've won E0 3 times with an E36 M3 with an essentially stock S52. The issues that prevented us from three-peating this year were 100% driver related. While BMW's are going to be harder on brakes our combination of Stoptechs and PFC 01's get us through the 25 with no brake changes. Strangely on our E36 the RF wears out first, followed by the LR. The RR goes third.

I too would like to see John's 996 at the 25. I think it could be a great E0 car - much better than our BMW - remember CJ, you can go behind the wall and change all 4 tires in E0 - I really don't think the time penalty is all that great if you plan ahead. There is, however, no way around the 10 gallon fill - but everyone in E0 is subject to that....

Let's do it next year John....being that I've "retired" from driving I'll crew chief it for you!

Scott Lang
Wow, Scott Lang on Rennlist. Who knew?...
Oh and BS to the retired crap. You may need a break, but you're not done yet.....

Dan @ Speed Gallery and I will put a team together for next year. No idea what we'll run but going after Mercer is on the front burner. Dan, I , pros Cort Wagner, and Kris Wilson in a lightweight GT3 (like yours) would be very competitive....
Old 12-09-2011, 02:11 AM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, Scott Lang on Rennlist. Who knew?...
Oh and BS to the retired crap. You may need a break, but you're not done yet.....

Dan @ Speed Gallery and I will put a team together for next year. No idea what we'll run but going after Mercer is on the front burner. Dan, I , pros Cort Wagner, and Kris Wilson in a lightweight GT3 (like yours) would be very competitive....
I've done the race every year since 2001 - the first 7 as a driver and the last 3 as crew chief. All in BMW's. I want to do it it a Porsche as that's apparently the only way to get an overall.....!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

John I'm a mazdaspeed sponsored team! so I'll just kick your *** in a grand am rolex RX-8. with no restrictor plates.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by schwank
Congrats to CJ if the news I read is correct. Maybe now he can upgrade from that decrepit old car hauler to something classy LOL... I kid out of jealousy.

When we pulled in to THill on Thursday I asked my wife for one of those for Christmas... didn't work too well!
two words:

Business Loan
Old 12-09-2011, 02:35 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
John I'm a mazdaspeed sponsored team! so I'll just kick your *** in a grand am rolex RX-8. with no restrictor plates.
Can I help?
Old 12-09-2011, 02:49 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dp35
Can I help?
we've still got to do that phone call. as you can imagine the last 72 hours has been insanity. more insanity than watching those damn trucks shoot fireballs every apex at 2am

Quick Reply: Spec Boxster at the 25 Hours of Thill??