Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec Boxster at the 25 Hours of Thill??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:16 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how a Miata powered, Porsche transaxle, Lotus Europa would do ???

Originally Posted by CAM14
I’m surprised that a Spec Boxster has not entered yet, I would think it would be a good platform for this event. How long can a Spec Boxster run on 10 gallons of fuel?

One of the reasons Miata do well at the 25 is that they are easy on equipment. 10 gallons of fuel lasts over 90 minutes in green flag conditions, usually end the race with the same brake pads it started with, and does not go through tires as quickly as some of the other quicker car do. So over the course of the whole event, the Miatas start to bubble up the finished order.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:17 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
So the difference is slicks, since R-compound on an ST car leaves it at 9.0? Running R-compound in a 25 hr race wouldn't really hurt results. Might even help if you put on BFG or some other long lasting tire and cut down on the tire changes. Seems to me that a GTS4 car looking to run an enduro with NASA should take the ST route every time. Sure beats trying to compete with GTS5 and ST1 cars in ES!
Well yes but if we're using my car as the example. I completely agree that ST2 (E0) is the route to go. I looked at the competeting cars in that class and thought someone in ST2 must have relatives in NASA
Similar to your GTS4 findings, the T1 Corvettes that can also run in ST2 are listed in ES....
Old 12-06-2011, 10:05 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In this classing question for faster cars, a couple of things to remember:

- ES and ESR classes may refuel with fueling rigs or NASCAR style dump cans with no limit on the number of gallons per stop. All other classes have 10 gallon limit per stop.

- ES and ESR have no limit on the number of tires that can be changed per stop. All other classes are limited to one tire change per stop in pit lane. Behind the wall they may change all four tires.

These rules make a huge difference in the number of stops needed and therefore a higher number of laps can be completed by ES and ESR.

Last edited by MarkPcar; 12-06-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the info on PTD. I am still working the rules clarification with the PT national director on our use of the GT3 lower control arms. There is a possibility since they are OEM and not aftermarket that we do not need to take any points for them.

BTW: I just learned that I snagged the NASA Mid Atlantic Lap Record for Summit Point in TTD. My car ran in Spec Boxster trim ballasted up to 2850lbs and on some old 245/17 Hoosier R6s that I had in my garage.

http://www.nasaracing.net/wp-content...AP-RECORDS.xls

Originally Posted by MarkPcar
Received a PM from another member about NASA's Performance Touring classing for Spec Boxster.

Running at 2,822 lbs, SBOX could get into PTD which would move it to E2 for the 25. Running on RA1's, I think the car would be very competitive in E2.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

NICE!!

Originally Posted by Paul 996
BTW: I just learned that I snagged the NASA Mid Atlantic Lap Record for Summit Point in TTD. My car ran in Spec Boxster trim ballasted up to 2850lbs and on some old 245/17 Hoosier R6s that I had in my garage.

http://www.nasaracing.net/wp-content...AP-RECORDS.xls
Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 PM
mcongleton
Racer

In this classing question for faster cars, a couple of things to remember:

- ES and ESR classes may refuel with fueling rigs or NASCAR style dump cans with no limit on the number of gallons per stop. All other classes have 10 gallon limit per stop.

- ES and ESR have no limit on the number of tires that can be changed per stop. All other classes are limited to one tire change per stop in pit lane. Behind the wall they may change all four tires.
Mark - Our MINI's were in ES for the very reasons you mentioned. We have the Grand Am fueling system thus the ES classification. Kind of hard to place well when you are up against cars running 10-15 sec faster laps. Oh well we still had fun.

Mark
Old 12-07-2011, 01:45 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

"It might be something where everyone on the team gets together and promises to skip all 3-2 downshifts and any usage of 2nd gear at all."

Having run a very well prepared Spec Boxster in the 6hr night enduro at Sebring I can attest to this as a problem. Just ask my co-driver who broke the "no second gear at all" rule.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:49 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

http://www.nasaracing.net/wp-content...AP-RECORDS.xls[/QUOTE]

Hey Paul,
Thanks for posting that link. I never even knew I hold the track record there in Spec Box. Sweet!!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:24 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

John the main issue with running your 996 is you would have to do it in ES. there is no way you could manage tires in a 911 to keep it classed in e1 or even e0. in those classes you can only change one tire per stop and put in 10 gallons of fuel at a time...on front engine rear drive cars, the front right wears fastest and the right rear wears second fastest. on a rear engine car the rotation would be different and you'd probably lose a lot of accel grip with worn rears. gotta keep the front right fresh as much as possible because of the high speed turns like 1, the kink, 9, etc

with an actual SPEC boxster the transmission/clutch would for sure be the weak point. that car is easy on tires and brakes but the same issue applies with tire changes and fuel efficiency.

bimmers have small enough engines in terms of consumption but nothing outlasts the mx5 / miata platform in terms of fuel efficiency and brake efficiency. you can beat the hell out of them for the whole race.

driver error is the main cause of mazda failure while bimmers of a similar vintage have a host of issues being as they're assembled as really fast frankencars (e46 motor in e30 chassis etc) and they're a lot tougher on brakes.

the mercer car this year had no mechanical issues and was running laps at 155 pace despite being able to do a 1:46 they were able to double and triple stint tires by staying WAY under their limit.(although in ES you can do four tires each stop and a full tank of gas)
Old 12-07-2011, 03:28 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

having said all that I drew up plans for a non-spec super MEGA boxster with a 997 3.8x51 engine and a 987 chassis with boxster S transmission, cup car hubs (center locks) and a dry break grand-am fuel cell. it would be ES of course but ES is an unlimited class, so you just do whatever gnarly mods you want and roll.

problem is by the time you build and test this you might as well just do it in a cup car and take out the guess work.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

CJ congrats on your car's finish but more importantly, I'm tired of reading of all the AL teams interested in you. Where the bleep are all the NL teams? Didn't they see that triple in Houston? The timing with the Dodgers own bidding war sucks. Magic you listening?...
Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 PM
CAM14
Instructor

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I wonder how a Miata powered, Porsche transaxle, Lotus Europa would do ???
Aren’t you a source of inspiration. That is an incredible idea, I’ll see what I can come up with

Might need some help testing it.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAM14
Aren’t you a source of inspiration. That is an incredible idea, I’ll see what I can come up with

Might need some help testing it.
No problem I love test driving, AND I have experience driving Miata's, Porsche's, AND even Lotus Europas ! Just not all together combined as one.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:37 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think there are some Cayman's out there that are close to this description.

Or, I know where this lives... Subaru powered Boxster...

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
having said all that I drew up plans for a non-spec super MEGA boxster with a 997 3.8x51 engine and a 987 chassis with boxster S transmission, cup car hubs (center locks) and a dry break grand-am fuel cell. it would be ES of course but ES is an unlimited class, so you just do whatever gnarly mods you want and roll.

problem is by the time you build and test this you might as well just do it in a cup car and take out the guess work.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:20 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

CJ may be on a plane to Miami tonight. ESPN's reporting he's close to signing with them unless the Angels match Miami's 6 year offer. The Marlins are a NL team where CJ would get to swing the bat.
I'm only posting this to see if he'll respond....

Quick Reply: Spec Boxster at the 25 Hours of Thill??