Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New used Hoosier A6 pinhole leak in sidewall predicament

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011 | 01:49 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Default New used Hoosier A6 pinhole leak in sidewall predicament

I bought 4x 335/18 A6s from John Berget a couple weeks ago and finally got them mounted/balanced last week... When I checked them this morning both had lost a significant amount of air. Upon taking them back to the shop that mounted them, the techs explained that one was remounted with no leaks but the second had a pinhole puncture in the sidewall.

I then called John B, who was very professional and said that he would send me out a replacement when he got one in stock. However he also said that if the tire wasnt losing more than a few PSI ever hour it would be safe for use. This last part was extremely disconcerting because it seems like a load of ****. Make no mistake, I'm not trying to badmouth JB in the slightest because I have (and will) order more tires from him, but I cant image how his advice makes any sense at all.

Or am I just crazy for thinking that a pinhole leak in a sidewall indicates an unsafe tire?
Old 11-22-2011 | 02:35 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've never had a Goodyear slick (or Hoosier or Cooper for that matter) that didn't lose air overnight.
Old 11-22-2011 | 02:42 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've never had a Goodyear slick (or Hoosier or Cooper for that matter) that didn't lose air overnight.
+1

I have a set of Hoosier wets that loose about 1lb/hr right through the sidewall as well, and they haven't caused any problems in the 3 years I've run them like that. Given that they're autocross only, I'm not as concerned about it from a safety perspective though - I wouldn't run them on a full track like that.

Is the pinhole leak from actual sidewall damage? Is it actually leaking through the sidewall itself, or just through the tire bead? Since you mention A6's - are these for autocross use or for road racing? If it's just leaking through the bead, or if you're just doing autocross, I wouldn't worry about it. If there's sidewall damage and you're racing on them, then I wouldn't use them.
Old 11-22-2011 | 02:51 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

I've heard of small leaks over long periods of time (6+ weeks) but not anything like this

The tires/wheels were stored in my garage, not even mounted on the car.. One was completely flat while the other lost about 10lbs of pressure in only a few days with no weight on them

are these for autocross use or for road racing
They will be used for a few DEs to get the suspension and engine dialed in correctly then straight to the races... so leaks are a no-no

tire techs said that there was a pinhole leak on the sidewall, not the bead.
Old 11-23-2011 | 12:07 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

...anyone else had issues or experiences with leaking hohos?
Old 11-23-2011 | 12:15 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ubercooper
...anyone else had issues or experiences with leaking hohos?
I have. Some hold air for long periods of time, and others seem to lose more than a few lbs overnight. For fun, trying spreading some dish detergent & water solution on the sidewalls. I've had some tires actually create foam in a few minutes.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-23-2011 | 10:56 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Funny you mention that... dish detergent method is how I located the leak after re-inflating the tires.. thought it was just the soap bubbling but after 5 minutes I knew something was up.

So I guess my new question would be: even though they leak (~5psi per night) they are safe for track use?
Old 11-23-2011 | 11:16 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Absolutely safe. The miniscule loss of air over the course of a session is meaningless. For a data point, I once ran a race where I later found that one of my rear wheels had broken 4 bolts and though I started with the proper pressure, I finished the 90 minute enduro with 17 lbs in the left rear. And I was wondering why at mid race it started rotating nicely through the carrousel and keyhole (Mid-Ohio).
Old 11-23-2011 | 11:21 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would guess it's ok, but I haven't seen the tire or a photo. The tire losing a couple - five pounds over night isn't the end of the world though.
Old 11-23-2011 | 11:26 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

I too wouldn't be so concerned with the air loss (you shouldn't even loose a full pound in a session), so long as the structure of the tire was sound. If the pinhole was caused by a puncture, I'd be nervous of if a band in the sidewall was suspect as well. If it's just a manufacturing defect and the tire structure is sound, then I wouldn't worry about it (beyond checking the tire pressures every session, which you should do anyways).
Old 11-23-2011 | 12:52 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

With an actual puncture like you originally stated.
I think it's a risk vs reward thing also, if the questionable tire was on my Spec Miata playing around on a DE weekend I would run it and be very careful. If it were on my Cup car with a National Championship title at hand, then I would replace them.

If it's a few lbs overnight from the side of the rim or permeating thru the rubber then it's ok. Some tires just seem to do that.
Old 11-25-2011 | 12:11 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Went to the shop today and saw the puncture...

Old 11-25-2011 | 12:21 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by ubercooper
Went to the shop today and saw the puncture...

For me, I'd replace it. A puncture like that can only get worse, possibly leaking faster while you drive and the sidewall starts to flex as you corner. Just not worth the risk.
Old 11-25-2011 | 12:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That's an actual puncture, not a "leaky tire." I personally wouldn't run that.
Old 11-25-2011 | 01:07 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

That be a Puncture Hole... John B is a great guy and stands behind what he provides and will work with anyone that is having trouble. Just, keep in mind... You are buying USED tires.

Quick Reply: New used Hoosier A6 pinhole leak in sidewall predicament