Sponsored by:

In need of a used racing seat - HANs device -Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:40 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts
Default In need of a used racing seat - HANs device -Helmet

Great! belts, helmet, and my FAI seat, all expire this next year 2012.

Anyone have a line on a decent FAI race seat, that is not too old, and a 2010 helmet and HANs device?

Let me know.

Mark
Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I think seats-belts dated 2012 expire at the END of 2012...right?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:38 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Mark, timed out seats are usually ok with seat back brace, if it's a timed out halo you can just add a passenger side net...check your rules for sure but it might help.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
I think seats-belts dated 2012 expire at the END of 2012...right?
yes, seat belts that have expiration dates in '12 are toast, but this usually means they are marked 2007 if FIA for expiration in '12. (5 years for FAI belts)

Originally Posted by J richard
Mark, timed out seats are usually ok with seat back brace, if it's a timed out halo you can just add a passenger side net...check your rules for sure but it might help.
really? maybe i got the rules wrong, are you sure. if so, thats good news as I do have a seat back brace bolted in. SCCA hasnt done side nets yet. I think PRC, (part NASA) runs with side nets now, but im not sure. I have to check because I want to run with PRC again this season.

thanks again,

Mark
Old 11-25-2011, 02:41 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably won't like my advice but it's meant for your own good so please just consider it as that.

Don't skimp on your safety equipment, buy new stuff so you know it hasn't been thru any accidents, etc. Buy the best you can afford and what fits you best, as I remember you are not a small guy so a seat will need to fit you just right to hold and protect you properly.

Rather than buy used, skip one race, with the extra gas, travel, and entry fee money you save, you can buy a nice seat that properly fits you.

I really do understand racing on a budget, but safety equipment isn't a place to buy the cheapest thing available.

Hope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday weekend !
Old 11-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
You probably won't like my advice but it's meant for your own good so please just consider it as that.

Don't skimp on your safety equipment, buy new stuff so you know it hasn't been thru any accidents, etc. Buy the best you can afford and what fits you best, as I remember you are not a small guy so a seat will need to fit you just right to hold and protect you properly.

Rather than buy used, skip one race, with the extra gas, travel, and entry fee money you save, you can buy a nice seat that properly fits you.

I really do understand racing on a budget, but safety equipment isn't a place to buy the cheapest thing available.

+1. As a decent size guy, the difference in safety and comfort of a properly sized seat is worth missing one event.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking

Viking, no worries, do like the advice! really. after my current seat caused a couple of cracked ribs in the last accident, (bad fit, bad design) i do know how much the right seat means.
I figured a FAI seat really couldnt be that much of a problem as long as the fit was good. my 928 is a funky fit anyway with the pedals and dash placement.
Its just tough, when everything safety wise needs to be replaced, and all that money doesnt make you go any faster! I think the helmet rules are a little silly. a Snell 2000 helmet that doesnt have any hits on it, should be just fine, especially when used with a HANs. new belts on the way, new helmet almost picked out. need to get it soon, so i can get it painted before next season!

Thanks, Have a good weekend yourself!

Mark
Old 11-26-2011, 10:26 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Painting the helmet will sure make you go faster!!!! lol
Old 11-26-2011, 11:29 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

C'mom Mark, you know better......don't mess around when it comes to safety.

I have a few used seats available and some left-over Sparco helmets that could work too.

Shoot me an email.....

Cheers,

James

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James-GMG
C'mom Mark, you know better......don't mess around when it comes to safety.

I have a few used seats available and some left-over Sparco helmets that could work too.

Shoot me an email.....

Cheers,

James
Thanks James, Ill give you a ring this week.
Heck, its not like i wanted to put a picnic bench in my race car. I was only asking about a used FAI seat and an '05 helmet. The main thing is really getting the right HANs too. I guess with the prices coming down for HANs, it wont be that bad even if i go new.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
you were right, (for SCCA) the timed out seat is ok with a seat back brace, but i should get a new seat, just because mine is a little unsafe anyway by design.

by the way , is the rule the same in PCA or NASA?

Quick Reply: In need of a used racing seat - HANs device -Helmet