Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 03:42 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts
Default My dinner with Vic

Yup, Vic Elford.

We celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Lone Star Region of the PCA yesterday. We held a concours event, a happy hour, and then a dinner celebration, all at The Houstonian, a fantastic facility.

Friday night, I had the opportunity to pick up Vic at the airport in a Panamera Turbo S driven by our dealer liaison Roger Gay of Porsche of North Houston. We met Vic at the airport, took him to his hotel, and then out to dinner with our CDI Ken Tubman, LSRPCA president Lynn Friedman, and Steve Krysil of PCNA.

Vic is an amazing guy. Sharp as a tack, well read, a sharp wit, and a real gentleman. It was fascinating to listen to him tell stories of his days on the rally circuit, in F1, Can Am, and of course in endurance racing where he was so well know. No surprise, but Vic is a car guy. Strike up a conversation with him about cars or driving, and it's like hanging with any of the guys you know from the track. Except of course he's seen and done so much more than any of us. Honestly, I spent a lot of the time thinking "please God, don't let me say something incredibly stupid", which if you know me is a tall order.

I never bothered to get an autograph. I didn't need it, as the experience of hanging out with this guy, drinking wine, and chatting about cars, racing, world politics,... was far more meaningful than any autograph I could ever have.

Our dinner was a fantastic event, and the crowd of over 200 people was thoroughly entertained by Vic Elford's stories of the golden age of racing. What a weekend. Just had to share.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:58 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

one of the greats!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 855 Posts

Sounds great, Mike, sorry I wasn't able to be there..
Old 11-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool story and I agree that after a day like that, an autograph is trivial.

PS: He designed the Spec Racer (Renault/Ford)!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:53 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I hope you stuck him with the check

Ok I'm just a wee bit jealous.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 723 Likes on 355 Posts

Vic has been getting around!

He was the presenter/speaker at the Mid South Region (Memphis) 25th anniversary last month. And I picked him up at the hotel and drove him to the dealer that morning for the weekend's festivities (in a 1988 red cab...he hates cabs, especially red ones...oh well!!). I had about 30 minutes to myself to talk racing, cars, Rennsport Reunion, etc. Wonderful guy.

They run a gimmick rally that had a timing aspect to it (gimmick was the directions part, and a base time was set, and closest to the time won) Vic was navigator for another member... Guess who won? Yep... he still knows how to rally.

FYI, he was responsible for the RS America too...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Yup, Vic Elford.

We celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Lone Star Region of the PCA yesterday. We held a concours event, a happy hour, and then a dinner celebration, all at The Houstonian, a fantastic facility.

Friday night, I had the opportunity to pick up Vic at the airport in a Panamera Turbo S driven by our dealer liaison Roger Gay of Porsche of North Houston. We met Vic at the airport, took him to his hotel, and then out to dinner with our CDI Ken Tubman, LSRPCA president Lynn Friedman, and Steve Krysil of PCNA.

Vic is an amazing guy. Sharp as a tack, well read, a sharp wit, and a real gentleman. It was fascinating to listen to him tell stories of his days on the rally circuit, in F1, Can Am, and of course in endurance racing where he was so well know. No surprise, but Vic is a car guy. Strike up a conversation with him about cars or driving, and it's like hanging with any of the guys you know from the track. Except of course he's seen and done so much more than any of us. Honestly, I spent a lot of the time thinking "please God, don't let me say something incredibly stupid", which if you know me is a tall order.

I never bothered to get an autograph. I didn't need it, as the experience of hanging out with this guy, drinking wine, and chatting about cars, racing, world politics,... was far more meaningful than any autograph I could ever have.

Our dinner was a fantastic event, and the crowd of over 200 people was thoroughly entertained by Vic Elford's stories of the golden age of racing. What a weekend. Just had to share.
And here I thought you were talking about having a wonderful dinner with me !
Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
And here I thought you were talking about having a wonderful dinner with me !
rrright...
Old 11-20-2011, 09:56 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great story, Mike; how cool! Thanks for sharing!

What a relief it must be - to be able to say stupid stuff again.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,292 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Mike. Vic has been a frequent featured driver and guest speaker at Brian Redman's Targa 66, has been the honored guest for Rahal's historic racing event at the Glen last year and the guest of honor for the Lime Rock Historic Festival. He's terrific and his stories never get old.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

We also had a few very cool cars there, including this:

Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got to meet him at Sebring this year. He was just sitting in the Porsche Hospitality about 2 feet away from me on the couch. During a lull in the action, I glanced at who I was sitting next to, and it was Mr. Elford.

I was flabbergasted, needless to say. (I did get an autograph though...now it's hanging in my office)
Old 11-21-2011, 06:13 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 723 Likes on 355 Posts

The funny thing about Vic is he's 'just one of the Porsche guys'...except for all the really cool and dangerous stuff he's done. He doesn't expect anything special, he just hangs out with anyone/everyone.

I asked him if he did any racing at RRIV, or if he does any Historic races or anything. Nope, and has no desire to. Been there, done that. That part of his life is past. He'd rather be sailing in the Caribean right now...

If you ever gets a chance to talk to him, ask him why he doesn't like little red cars...and why he likes blue ones.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naroescape
The funny thing about Vic is he's 'just one of the Porsche guys'...except for all the really cool and dangerous stuff he's done. He doesn't expect anything special, he just hangs out with anyone/everyone.
That was one of the things I really enjoyed about visiting with Vic. He's a car guy through and through. And not just on the old cars. He's up to date on all the latest ones as well, and is more than happy to tell you what he thinks about them. Same on racing. We talked about F1, IndyCar, and his current favorite which is the Australian V8's.

Quick Reply: My dinner with Vic