Sponsored by:

How do I choose a seat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Default How do I choose a seat?

I just got back from a DE weekend and my arms are sore form holding my body in the car. My left leg has a cramp from pushing on the dead pedal. It's time to buy a seat.
So I understand that they are very size specific, and very dependent on individual preference. Where can I go to try different ones? I travel to most of the major metro areas on a regular basis. Can anyone reccomend a shop with demo seats in stock that one can sit in? Wine Country Motorsports in Sebring has 4...
Thanks in advance.
Rick
Old 11-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Do what I did, I walked around the paddock on a race weekend and asked some drivers if I could try their seats.

We all have different shapes and needs but I have had Recaro SPG, Recaro HANS and Sparco Pro, the Recaro HANS wins in my book.

If you are driving on the street also, you will not want a HANS style (head containment) seat though. On my street car I have Recaro's which have pretty aggressive bolsters but recline. I must look at my paperwork for the model.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:08 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 907 Likes on 442 Posts

Well, you need to decide what type of seat you want. A "halo" race seat or standard race seat? A performance street seat?

For my race car I decided on a halo seat and I prefer the Cobra Sebring Pro or Racetech RT4009HR over any of the Recaro or Sparco offerings.

If you are driving the car on the street and track, I suspect none of the pure race seats are a good choice. The Recaro Speed or Sparco R505 might be good choices for you.

Scott
Old 11-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

Rick:
Like Juan said, when at the track, ask other drivers who have race seats in their track/race cars if you can sit in them. We all have different body types so each seat fits differently for different body types.

If you make it up to the Washington DC area, at OG Racing we have a large number of seats in stock from, street tuning, to full race. So sitting in multiple models is no problem. We are literally less than 10 minutes from the Dulles International Airport terminal if you are ever flying in and out of that airport. If you are in the area give us a call at 800.934.9112. We would welcome the opportunity to help you select the right seat.

Kind regards,
Old 11-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Rick:

If you make it up to the Washington DC area, at OG Racing we have a large number of seats in stock from, street tuning, to full race. So sitting in multiple models is no problem. We are literally less than 10 minutes from the Dulles International Airport terminal if you are ever flying in and out of that airport.

Kind regards,
Thanks! This is the type of info I'm looking for.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Most racing seats won't work with a 3pt harness. You need to add a 5 pt harness to keep you stuck into the seat.

Quick Reply: How do I choose a seat?