Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Repair! What's the Latest?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:09 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't realize they weren't interchangable, thanks for the clarification Matt. I too would love to try the 4:00 R&P but it's too expensive for my racing budget I'll just have to make do with OEM gearing....
Old 11-08-2011, 09:47 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Hello John,

While I always appreciate the endorsements, our R/P sets are not for the G96 and G86 street boxes like in your 996 Carrera or the early Boxster S. Our sets are for the Cup Car and GT3s. Can't jump platforms with the parts.

Or maybe you're thinking of the G87 version that we're currently working on. I know that some of you may have seen mention of it in the ads in the magazines. There's been a delay on getting some tooling made and we don't have those until after the first of the year sometime, and I've pulled the ads so as not to create any more dissatisfied people who want one yesterday. It will be a 4.125 ratio like our GT3 version and will fit any G87 6spd Cayman or Boxster gearbox 2005 or newer. But not quite yet.

The only R/P set that I know of for the G86.20 Boxster 6spd is the 4.00 Albins set that CMS sells. 2 or 3 years ago I know that they had some teething issues (pun intended) when they first purchased the machine and were learning to cut ring and pinion sets. However, I have been told that that is behind them now and what's currently being produced is a much more refined piece with a better lifespan.
Not to hijack the thread but what are the options for the early 5 speed box?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Not to hijack the thread but what are the options for the early 5 speed box?
I just came across this... Right now all that we offer is performance differentials, TBD and LSD. We're working on an alternative ring and pinion. Technically it is available right now since it's a cross compatible VAG part used in other models. The catch is the ring gear bolt pattern. It's only 8 bolt versus the 10 bolt that the Cayman and Boxster gearboxes use. Since very few people installing a short ring and pinion want to spend all that money and have no LSD, we decided to make an 8 bolt LSD to go with it. Once the LSD is done, we'll release both products together as a package. That will be sometime in the Spring.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT Gears

Thank you for the update on products to come.

So while I have your GT LSD in now (purchased for a 2000 Boxster S 6 speed transmission), it will not match up to your, soon to be released, R&P?

please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks to all who have added to this thread as the info is invaluable to me.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Brinkley,

That's right. The ring and pinion we're doing is for the 987S 6spd. It's such a limited market we decided that since Albins already makes a ring and pinion set for your G86.20 gearbox that it would be redundant.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT Gears,
Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply: Transmission Repair! What's the Latest?