Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moton arghhh!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:43 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just has Motons re-valved at Performance Shock. Quick turn around and they were able to source new pistons fairly quickly, sent shocks back with before and after dyno sheets. Testing on the track (with shock pots) showed that the re-build/re-valving helped quite a bit.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
That's why you work with Angelo or a Stimola - they sell, service and SUPPORT everything they do. I've seen them help everyone at the track - customers and competitors.
+1. I bought a set of Penske/Anze struts and rear Penske shocks from Angelo. Very very nice product.

Serviceable in NY, made from Penske parts. NOT that expensive.

Delivery was quick and I had the chance to talk with Angelo over the phone quite a few times and he never seemed to bothered with my newbie questions.

I would recommend them ANYTIME. A pro driver took my car (951) for a ride to set-up the car properly and was quite impressed with the damping.

c.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,164 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Angelo is the MAN!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Total satisfaction with Anze Suspension. They repaired a busted Moton for me at the beginning of this season. excellent service and their final bill for repair was less than estimated.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:48 PM
hancheyb
3rd Gear

Hey guys,
Shock threads always keep things interesting. Shocks are the closest thing to religion in the aftermarket world. Everyone’s religion is always the right one even within the same family.

I fully respect anyone’s choice to go with one of our competitors. What you guys don’t know is most of us are friends and talk on a regular basis. Anze has a great niche and makes a good product. Penske is a great product. Ohlins as well. Bryan from JRZ and I help each other when we can. There is a shock out there for everyone. But let’s call it what it is. Some folks are going to be loyal to certain people and follow them anywhere. I say, go for it.

I’ll give you a brief history of our purchase of Moton. Moton did not make parts since mid-2010. So purchasing Moton was not as simple as walking in the door, turning on the lights, and taking orders. Frankly, that was never our intention. Moton did a great job building a loyal following and a reliable product. Was it the best shock on the market? Actually no. Some of the technology in the Moton dates back more than 30 years to Koni. Should a premier shock brand have 30-year old technology? We don’t think so. In the next few weeks we’ll be releasing some updates that will improve Moton what it should be, a premier brand better than anything on the market. Stay tuned for that, and feel free to stop by the PRI booth to discuss.

Did we buy Moton to fix AST designs? No. Each shock works differently and it isn’t even possible to share parts. Each one has it’s own advantages, some of the Moton ideas are clever and better (and they cost more as they should), some of the AST designs came out of 10 years of development and a year of endurance racing in GRAND-AM. Teams running those new parts finished on the podium 28 out of 30 times. Should we take that knowledge and use it to make Motons better? Of course we will. And since the comment will come up, that “anything is better than what they had”, not only did we win the contract, but one team in particular tested the shocks on their shaker rig and the rig engineer said they were perfect. In my opinion, that has a more weight than a bunch of heresy on forums.

Does our service suck? If you consider we were handed mostly empty shelves and drawers, we’ve done a good job servicing existing customers. We’ve also hired additional staff to provide quicker service and better response time to dealer requests. Aside from Penske, we have more staff than any of our competitors in the States. Could we afford to do this if we weren’t doing something right? We’ve done all this without venture capital or an angel investor in a down economy - which isn’t an easy task.

We’ve rebuilt customer shocks with same day, overnight turn around more than once since taking over in July. We’ve put cars on the track for events that were broken due to the old Moton’s poor build quality. We found metal shavings in shocks built earlier this year. The quality was not there since early 2010. Have we had every part in stock? Of course not! It would be impossible to go from nothing to fully stocked in a short period especially during the European holiday. Parts bins are being restocked, it just takes a little time. We have more customers thrilled at our service than complaining. If you have an issue JUST CALL US. Six people here can answer your questions and get parts to you if we’ve made a mistake. From what I understand, in this case, the customer asked for a banjo seal which we sent. We were never asked to send the banjo o-rings. We know the difference. The correct part has been sent to fatbillybob, and after evaluating Bassam’s damaged unit, the replacement parts have been ordered from Holland.

So again, I have no issues with customers making choices other than us. There’s going to be some uncertainty and changes when a new company steps in. At least give us a fair shot rather than going online and assuming we are incompetent. Call us, interview us at PRI or the track, we’re ready.

Email or call with questions, as we don’t frequent the forums on a daily basis.

Regards,
Brian Hanchey
President
Moton Suspension - USA
www.moton-usa.com
www.facebook.com/motonusa
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Great first post Brian and thanks for dropping by. Will current shocks be 'update-able' with the new tech you discuss?

For people outside the US what can they expect?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,164 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Thanks, Brian. Here's to your success.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM
hancheyb
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Great first post Brian and thanks for dropping by. Will current shocks be 'update-able' with the new tech you discuss?

For people outside the US what can they expect?
Yes, we are working hard to make sure as many parts as possible can be updated vs. replaced. Sometimes it will be better to replace assemblies and we'll advise when one is better than the other. That won't be the norm though.

Outside of the U.S. (North America), Moton Holland is setting up dealers in various parts of the world. If there isn't a dealer nearby with experience, we can always help or Holland can assist. For instance, we've had U.S. dealers with customers in Dubai just send shocks to Holland for rebuilds since shipping them to the U.S. doesn't make sense.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-08-2011, 09:58 PM
bassam
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's only fair to Thank Moton for finding my needed part in stock and finishing the work very fast! Thanks!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian, it is good that you posted here as Moton does have a loyal following, based upon many years of quality shocks and great customer service. It is only natural to have some apprehension as a new company buys a known commodity, but communication is the way to quell that fear. Just ask the owners of Kinesis wheels.

Keep posting here on Rennlist to fill us in on the details of your new products and I would bet that many would continue to stick with your product. BTW I loved my old 3-way Motorsport Motons.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian, I'm glad you posted here. I have 2 way Moton Clubsports and have been wondering what would happen when servicing time came around. Happily I can say that after 2 years I have no leaks and the cannisters hold pressure all winter as well. Good to know you are getting on top of the situation. I will be in touch when the time comes.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 PM
hancheyb
3rd Gear

Thanks again guys.

Here's a peek at some of the recent product pictures we've taken of "new" Motons.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7880168&type=3

For anyone looking for a rebuild, you might want to visit our blog on our USA site (or main facebook.com/motonusa).
Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

I'll update you all later. Currently waiting for o-rings...
Old 11-15-2011, 02:40 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

WooHoo! I got O-rings! Some from Performance Shock Inc. and some from AST/Moton. Thank You Brian from AST for going the extra mile. O-rings installed shocks are done and working perfectly.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:04 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Well, Ohlins and Penske are you safest bets to be around 5 years from now. I used both Ohlins and Penske on my race bikes and generally preferred the Penske shocks. The Ohlins shocks were more expensive too.

What's the consensus in the car world? Penske or Ohlins?

Scott
I have triple adj Ohlins on my cup and am incredibly pleased. They do super-fast rebuilds as well and really get the job done. JRZ and Penske are definitely great alternatives too. I shy away from most others.

Quick Reply: Moton arghhh!