Sponsored by:

Race Craft Clinic -- Thunderhill -- 28-29 Jan

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:24 PM
9juanjuan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Craft Clinic -- Thunderhill -- 28-29 Jan

Registration deadline Dec 15. Early bird discount before Nov 15. Visit: www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get the word out about our upcoming race craft clinic. Last year we had a great turnout for Rennlist and Porsche with eleven Porshces attending. Those that made it will tell you it was an awesome experience. This year we have made it even better by splitting the material over two days which will give you more time to digest the classroom material and work with your on-track instructor. Heed the deadlines to ensure you get a spot (and save a few bucks.)

-----------------

Registration deadline Dec 15. Early bird discount before Nov 15. We have limited capacity, so register early to ensure you get a spot. Detailed info and registration at:

> www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com

This is a special program for licensed racers or those seeking a racing license in 2012. Whether you are an experienced racer seeking your first podium, or just starting out, this program will help you develop the skills and edge to make you successful. The focus here is on race craft: driving in close proximity, off-line, and passing under braking.

On Saturday Dean Thomas will lead a combination lectures, videos, and discussions that will help you develop the critical analytical skills you need to outsmart your opponent. The successful racer is smarter as well as more skillful than their opponent.

On Sunday you will drive in a four car "sparring group" consisting of three students and one instructor. No passenger seats here. Instructors driving their own race cars alongside their student's cars is a highly effective way to communicate the nuances of race craft, and a lot of fun too! And it allows for very directed coaching for the more advanced racer.

This is a community event. Your instructor will be recruited from the top of your racing class ranks. These are the guys at the pointy end of *your* grid who are coming out to help their own. Last year we had three Porsche sparring groups for 944, 911 and 928(!) with Rick Lofgren, Behram Soonawala, and Mark Kibort instructing their respective classes. It was a blast, student and instructor alike.

Early Bird discount $350 before Nov 15. Register early as we were oversold last year. Email if you have questions. We hope to hear from you and see you at the Clinic!

Thanks!
Juan Pineda
ArtOfRoadRacing@gmail.com

Old 11-05-2011, 12:15 AM
dp35
Pro

Will you have any instructors that drive Spec Miatas, but go faster than all the Porsches?

Seriously though, this is a very unique clinic that's excellent for teaching newer racers the little things that they might not have thought of. Veteran racers will also learn a few things, especially if they listen to Dean Thomas.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:17 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

Juan,

What happens if it rains? My race car has slicks......

Scott
Old 11-05-2011, 12:44 AM
justaguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
Juan,

What happens if it rains? My race car has slicks......

Scott
slow down!
I did the clinic last year it was great lots of fun It help me win my class this year. I may do it again
Old 11-05-2011, 12:53 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by justaguy
slow down!
I did the clinic last year it was great lots of fun It help me win my class this year. I may do it again
Not bloody likely! Slicks, rain, and Thunderhill do not mix.

Scott
Old 11-05-2011, 01:03 AM
justaguy
Rennlist Member

I've done it 305's in front 335's R6's in rear in the rain not racing just lapping . It was an interesting experience to say the least. I've also run my Conti Sport snow tires in the Rain at T-Hill. But your right I would take the snows over the slicks.
Iceman actually won a race in the estate wagon in the rain running my snow tires.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 AM
9juanjuan
Advanced

It's October, the last race of the season and your margin for the championship is slim. The forecast is for rain. Do you:

a) Stay home and forever tell stories about how you would have been champion except...?
b) Pay the entry fee but sit out the race because you're uncomfortable driving in the rain?
c) Beg borrow or steal the set of 7x9's off your buddy's turbo and show your them how it's done?

Hint: street rubber is awesome in the rain.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:18 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

any rental cars available? this sounds like fun...
Old 11-05-2011, 02:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,639 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by 9juanjuan
It's October, the last race of the season and your margin for the championship is slim. The forecast is for rain. Do you:

a) Stay home and forever tell stories about how you would have been champion except...?
b) Pay the entry fee but sit out the race because you're uncomfortable driving in the rain?
c) Beg borrow or steal the set of 7x9's off your buddy's turbo and show your them how it's done?

depends.
$1MM purse, sure
no money involve, you have NOTHING to gain, everything to lose.
but then i am a money driven conservative
Old 11-05-2011, 02:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,639 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
any rental cars available? this sounds like fun...
just bring the cup up.
juan and all the instructors are great. i wasn't there lastyear, but i know most of the instructors. it's awesome. i just need a fk'g car

and NO, i wont rent SM.
no offense to fast darrin and other real SM drivers. but 75% of the SM guys out there really should just stay home, track would be a LOT safer for all of us.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:42 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
just bring the cup up.
juan and all the instructors are great. i wasn't there lastyear, but i know most of the instructors. it's awesome. i just need a fk'g car

and NO, i wont rent SM.
no offense to fast darrin and other real SM drivers. but 75% of the SM guys out there really should just stay home, track would be a LOT safer for all of us.
Mooty, You sooooo need a cup, there's some nice ones out there right now!!! I'd love to bring the cup up but it's a long
haul... I was thinking more like specbox or even 44...
Old 11-05-2011, 02:55 AM
winders
Race Car

Well, since I started this rain stuff.....

The class I would be racing in requires certain bias-ply slicks so I don't have the option of bolting on wheels with rain tires or street tires.

But, NASA, the sanctioning body for the Porsche Racing Club class I race in (GTL), will give the race entry fees back if I don't race. So the answer for me is "b".

Scott
Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Actually, its not that bad. Ive raced thunderhill , sears and laguna on slicks Its not that bad, but certainly not that good. you certainly have to be on top of the car, because its more like flying than driving.

However, i would think that Juan will want you (us) to have a set of rain tires for wet weather, just to make sure there is no chance of an "issue".

Originally Posted by winders
Not bloody likely! Slicks, rain, and Thunderhill do not mix.

Scott

Last edited by mark kibort; 11-07-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

YOU ALWAYS race, but drive to your and your car's limits!
pic of the poring rain GTGP last few laps. It was sketchy, but still a good time. a set of rains would have been a little more fun!
Attached Images  

Last edited by mark kibort; 11-07-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:53 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by mark kibort
For some, maybe not.

Actually, its not that bad. Ive raced thunderhill , sears and laguna on slicks and 2nd place in the GTGP race in the pouring rain. slicks are fine, just nowhere near as fast as rains and a driver that knows how to use them.

However, i would think that Juan will want you (us) to have a set of rain tires for wet weather, just to make sure there is no chance of an "issue".
Slicks are not "fine" in the rain.....

...and I am not going to buy a set of rain tires for one event.

Scott

Quick Reply: Race Craft Clinic -- Thunderhill -- 28-29 Jan