Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 911 C2 (964) Race Car FOR SALE - NASA GTS3 / PCA "H" or GT4S

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A front splitter in conjunction with the popular 3.8 "lip" splitter is very effective, but only needed if you have a rear "wing" - that is, a "wing" by today's definition, full "aero".

My first splitter was moderately sized and worked well, I then made a larger unit that stuck out further, with supports et al - I feel it actually slowed me down a bit at VIR...so I modified the earlier one (made it a bit "prettier" by trimming it more evenly, etc.) and got back to some respectable times.

The 964's front tub design lends itself to a simple front splitter design in that you can use all factory screw holes along the bottom of the hatch, and the front bumper holes along the lower lip.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:43 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 745 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
Drive Axles: Customized - outers have been cut open, drilled/tapped for serviceability, bearing journals polished, new boots/clamps and both inner/outer joints packed with NEO Synthetic grease - awesome stuff. Details of this modification can be found on the 964 discussion boards.
Can you provide a link?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 12-07-2011, 06:03 AM
944TURBOS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to transform this into a G car? The reason I ask is a good majority of my racing buddies in the PCA run G class in the midwest. I know 964 C2s and RS Americas can run in G, so what would it take to get this car there? Thanks.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:49 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by 944TURBOS
Is there any way to transform this into a G car? The reason I ask is a good majority of my racing buddies in the PCA run G class in the midwest. I know 964 C2s and RS Americas can run in G, so what would it take to get this car there? Thanks.
From the description, it appears to be a pretty easy conversion:
Go back to stock chip
Remove big reds and go to stock brakes
Run the stock trans
Remove front splitter (looks like it extends beyond the front bumper)
Remove the rear wing element
Old 12-07-2011, 01:45 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
From the description, it appears to be a pretty easy conversion:
Go back to stock chip
Remove big reds and go to stock brakes
Run the stock trans
Remove front splitter (looks like it extends beyond the front bumper)
Remove the rear wing element
Even easier way to run as a "G" car would be to run as a Prepared C2
at the higher weight of 3181 vs RSA weight of 2910. The G guys from Chicago are running as prepared C2's at the higher weight.
You can keep the big reds
Run the 3.8 RS wing
Use the trans with the 8:32 R&P
Keep the chip
Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

This is a really awesome car. I have seen and ran with Jeff at a number of events. Well sorted and fast! One of the best looking cars you will see at the track.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:15 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
Even easier way to run as a "G" car would be to run as a Prepared C2
at the higher weight of 3181 vs RSA weight of 2910. The G guys from Chicago are running as prepared C2's at the higher weight.
You can keep the big reds
Run the 3.8 RS wing
Use the trans with the 8:32 R&P
Keep the chip
Or bite the bullet, continue with the build and run GT4s.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

WOW, thanks for the endorsement T-Roy!

...your check is in the mail.

winders, search "CV joint" in the 964 forum specifically - I'm on a company server most of the day, it tends to limit my features when I'm on the forums, plus I recall it's difficult to cut/paste the specific link in the forums?

The main characters in that post are Geoffrey and myself...there are some pics, I have yet to post how I did it but very similar to Geoffrey's procedure - maybe someone can link the post here for you.

944TURBOS - 38D is correct, pretty easy swap back to stock classes, this car would be best suited in G-prepared or ran in H class. You would remove the fiberglass doors (steel doors come with the car, matching graphics) I think you would have to swap the rear window back to orig. glass?? (someone help me on this one...I know you can use a Lexan/Poly Windshield in stock classes.) then use the 8:32 R&P gearbox that is an option for the buyer (I have THREE "options" for gear boxes!) keep the chip and BIG Reds, use the 3.8RS wing blade and REMOVE the add-on splitter, just using the 3.8RS "lip" (you can see it in RED on the front) and you're good to go.

Again, I will offer the car for a few $K less if the buyer doesn't need the aero package, polycarbonite rear window (Poly windshields are allowed in stock classes) and the fiberglass doors as I could likely get $2K for those components, still matching what I need to ca$h out on this "toy".

Just keep in mind: I have BOTH the resources...and the technology to turn revert the car back to whatever it's new owner wants.

ALRIGHT, I just spent at least AN HOUR updating BOTH ads...one can never remember everything about their own race car - right? Now someone buy this thing!!

FYI - I took the car out for a "neighborhood drive" when I got home from work today (December 7th), it was almost 75deg. and I did it "parade style", waving to all the neighbors and even stopping to kiss a baby or two.

Last edited by Jeff Curtis; 12-07-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:05 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran my RS America as a prepared C2 in G this season at 3181lbs. with ballest rather than prepared H at 2910lbs as I did in 2010. My car has the majority of the the prepared mods. I had to carry 200lbs of lead bolted to the passenger floor to make the weight.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Some people in my class have proven that sometimes it is better to run more HP with more weight in a 20-30min. race. I used to prove that works when I ran my 964 in GTS2...after a good 20min. the car was SLIMY!!

In GTS3, some are running an E46 M3 at approx.280hp x 11lbs = 3080 and are able to beat my ~2800lb. car with 25 less HP - but they're all CHEATING!!

So, depending on many variables, sometimes it pays off to run a heavier car with more HP in a HP -vs.- weight based series/class...in PCA, the classing kind of negates that. The beauty of the 964 is that it can run in several different classes depending on what weight, if you have software/brake upgrades...or not.

It is truly one of the most versatile Porsche platforms to race...and I'm not just saying that because I'm trying to sell one.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:26 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=In GTS3, some are running an E46 M3 at approx.280hp x 11lbs = 3080 and are able to beat my ~2800lb. car with 25 less HP - but they're all CHEATING!! [/QUOTE]

Since I run NASA GTS3 occassionally, I'd agree with that.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 AM
J Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In GTS3, some are running an E46 M3 at approx.280hp x 11lbs = 3080 and are able to beat my ~2800lb. car with 25 less HP - but they're all CHEATING!!
I take back all the nice things I said about Jeff's car...it's a P.O.S.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Hopefully my reply conveyed what I really meant:

Todays racing efforts in a HP -vs.- weight class seems to favor higher HP coupled with sacrificing a considerable weight savings...in other words, running 20-25 more HP vice losing 200-250lbs seems to be beneficial - this was pretty much the case when I ran in GTS2 without software/headers and was only producing ~227hp.

...and Josh is pretty much the stellar example of how this works in GTS3 except "clamping" an ECU seems to be the way to go. If I could produce 300+hp and clamp it down to 280 or so, that is apparently the ticket!

I hear that it can be done with a 2009+ DFI Cayman"S"??
Old 12-09-2011, 01:21 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Hopefully my reply conveyed what I really meant:

Todays racing efforts in a HP -vs.- weight class seems to favor higher HP coupled with sacrificing a considerable weight savings...in other words, running 20-25 more HP vice losing 200-250lbs seems to be beneficial - this was pretty much the case when I ran in GTS2 without software/headers and was only producing ~227hp.

...and Josh is pretty much the stellar example of how this works in GTS3 except "clamping" an ECU seems to be the way to go. If I could produce 300+hp and clamp it down to 280 or so, that is apparently the ticket!

I hear that it can be done with a 2009+ DFI Cayman"S"??
Anyone who has been on the track with Josh will know that in his case it's mostly the driver not those cars from Bavaria.

JF
Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Strange: the closer it gets to Christmas, the more interest I'm getting in the car?

I truly thought it would be the other way around.

Keep your fingers crossed for me - one less car in the way around here will definitely be interesting.

Quick Reply: 1991 911 C2 (964) Race Car FOR SALE - NASA GTS3 / PCA "H" or GT4S