Sponsored by:

Club Race Schedule question 2012

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:02 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Do whatever it takes to get the thing back to where it used to be attendance-wise. When is the ALMS weekend for 2012?

Can't do July as that is when the Ohio Valley Region's Putnam race is for all of us Midwesterners. However, I've always said that OVR and MOR ought to get together and host the MO race.....kinda like the Sebring and Watkins Glen deals having multiple regions or a Zone hosting IIRC

Mid-Ohio in August might do to the NJMP race what the Glen did to M-O.
That's funny I was thinking the same thing, you beat me to it.
I really think moving both the MO and Putnam dates would really help attendance.
Mid Ohio in July or August and move Putnam to September.

I used to really like the September race at Putnam.

It has always been crazy to me that we don't have any races in the midwest in September or October--well besides Road America. It's some of the best weather and usually dry.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:09 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Doug, are you trying to say you wouldn't miss the heat and humidity of central Indiana in Mid-July?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:23 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Something like that.
I've raced at Mid Ohio and Putnam every year since 2004 except last year because I was building a car.
So I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

I've just hated to see how both races have really declined in attendance.
Mid Ohio date is too close the Glen date. The weather is just iffy there that time of year.
I don't mind rain, but rain and 40 degrees really suck.
I personally don't have a problem with the heat at the Putnam race, but I know that is one of the main reasons why racers I know don't attend.
The Road Atlanta race is starting to suffer the same fate. That is consistently the worst weather weekend of the year for racing. I think it would be better if it just snowed at the Atlanta race.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
any shot at a July date? for the tri-state people you have

april - LRP
May - Glen
JUNE-VIR
July - hole
Aug - NJ
Sep - SP
You forgot one.
You guys need to plan VIR in June. Freak weather the previous 2 years but 80 and sunny last year. MO in July sounds like a total winner.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Can't do July as that is when the Ohio Valley Region's Putnam race is for all of us Midwesterners. However, I've always said that OVR and MOR ought to get together and host the MO race.....kinda like the Sebring and Watkins Glen deals having multiple regions or a Zone hosting IIRC
Interesting idea, John... What if OVR and MOR combined forces for BOTH the Mid Ohio and Putnam races?... That would put a lot more potential weekends (when these regions have these two tracks already reserved) in the mix. The Mid Ohio race could potentially be moved away from the freezing rain, and the Putnam race moved away from the oppressive face-melting 250 degree temps.

And yes, I wish the Road Atlanta race was towards the end of April...
Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is it official the glen is June 1st-3rd? I see they have it on the pca website.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A plus1! on racing at VIR.

A great track that is club friendly, in terms of ample runoff, unlike The Glen, Sebring, etc.

And when are a bunch of you guys going to make the tow up to Brainerd for the hidden gem of PCA CR? Although it is still called the "Loonacy Race" the event chair has eliminated the handicapped race that gave it it's name and now there's simply racing, tons of it, an enduro on Saturday, plus two long sprints on Sunday plus tons of track time
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Default VIR CR 2012

Expect VIR race 22-24 June. Some discussion last year about moving dates around on the VIR calendar, but think third weekend in June will stay the same.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:20 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FilthyF14
Expect VIR race 22-24 June. Some discussion last year about moving dates around on the VIR calendar, but think third weekend in June will stay the same.
I am no expert but from what I have read you guys need to try and get out of June with the heat issue. When I have discussions with the track I try to remind them that Racing and club race should get a priority over DE when it comes to dates as, it is a race track after all. Not that anyone listens to me, but I would work to get rid of the heat demon. In the current economic climate, we have to remove as many obstacles as we can. That is why I am actively looking for a good spot on the racing calender and looking to capitalize on the best weather.

Having said that, I well understand that the track managers have there own agenda and we are not on the top of it, and just have to do the best we can with what we have to work with.

I can say with confidence Mid O PCA club race will NOT be in May and will be in August the exact date will be firmed up shortly.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I can say with confidence Mid O PCA club race will NOT be in May and will be in August the exact date will be firmed up shortly.
WOW. Sounds good. If possible, choose an earlier date to give it some distance from TRAC over Labor Day weekend.

Thanks for the update.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:18 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW - For me it is a worse date since I also race MidO the weekend before with Nasa so not enough time to prep between.

Based on the previous race date that would be Nasa racing there August 10-12..
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
FWIW - For me it is a worse date since I also race MidO the weekend before with Nasa so not enough time to prep between.

Based on the previous race date that would be Nasa racing there August 10-12..
Norm, I am not sure that NASA will be the weekend before. I know things are going to be shuffled this year.

Let me ask this, would you want to race on Mother's day weekend? I wish we had more people who race NASA come race PCA. Last year Nasa had a race at Putnam the same weekend as our May club race.

We will know in a week or two what the dates are going to look like.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great idea.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Frank, thanks, I look forward to hearing.

And sure I would race on mothers day.

Make it a family celebration :-)

Quick Reply: Club Race Schedule question 2012