Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: in-date halo race seat (not L / XL)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:30 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default WTB: in-date halo race seat (not L / XL)

Due to some bad news from an MRI yesterday I have decided Im not getting back in the car without a head restraint seat. Before I buy new I always like to see whats available...

Im 5'9, 165lb, 32-33 waist. Not looking for wide/tall XL seats.

Someone suggested a Sabelt Taurus but they seem to only be sold in L or XL sizes. I found (2) decently priced OMP seats - RSP2 and HTE but figured Id ask around first.

Being kind of short and sitting close to the wheel already I really want something in-date so I can put it on sliders and get rid of the back seat brace.

Thank you,
Sam

Also have a very nice condition expired black Racetech RT4000 or 4009? that is coming out if anyone is interested.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:57 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Due to some bad news from an MRI yesterday I have decided Im not getting back in the car without a head restraint seat. Before I buy new I always like to see whats available...

Im 5'9, 165lb, 32-33 waist. Not looking for wide/tall XL seats.

Someone suggested a Sabelt Taurus but they seem to only be sold in L or XL sizes. I found (2) decently priced OMP seats - RSP2 and HTE but figured Id ask around first.

Being kind of short and sitting close to the wheel already I really want something in-date so I can put it on sliders and get rid of the back seat brace.

Thank you,
Sam

Also have a very nice condition expired black Racetech RT4000 or 4009? that is coming out if anyone is interested.
Sam

Before you make any decision about seats you need to sit in as many as you can. If there any track events coming up at Putnam or IRP then go out and ask people if you can sit in their seat. Most people will be more than happy to let you do this. Make notes of seat models and year of production as some seats changed dimensions while retaining the same name. See how each one fits in the hips and shoulders and where the head restraint part fits you. Check that the openings, if any, don't restrict your side vision more than you can deal with. Once you have all this info you can make a better decision on what seat you want. Sorry we don't have a showroom in the Indy area at this time, but if you're in the DC area or flying into Dulles Airport stop in and sit in all our display seats.

Bill
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:25 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

You might want to a search about contaiment seats and seating position. Due to the rake of the a pillar in the 944 they take quite a bit of jockeying around to get adequate window exit room, so you also need to pay attention to how far forward the arms of the halo extend forward.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Thanks Bill, appreciate it!

J richard - yes, I have searched and done some reading - good point on the arm length of the halo, thanks.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:21 AM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a bran new Recaro Pro Hans for sale. It was used in my 944S2 for a single DE weekend, but I'm 6ft and 180lbs, 34 waist. This seat fits my waist snug but it was the shoulders and just below my arm pits where this seat does not fit me. I have a friend your size and he loved it. Getting in and out of my 944 with nascar bars was not a big deal, but you need a removable wheel. You can have the seat for $1000 + shipping.

http://www.stableenergies.com/Recaro...o/REC-HANSPRO/
Old 10-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam,

I'm about your size (10lbs heavier), and a Sparco Pro-ADV fits well, though not quite as snug as my old Recaro SPG. I suspect that the Pro racer Hans would be similar, though there is no substitute for sitting in one.

BTW, I got my Pro-ADV from OG Racing, through a NASA contingency after my crash - thanks OG!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:55 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Thanks guys - Im going to try and sit in a few before I buy anything as Id like it as tight/restrictive as possible.

Neck surgery scheduled for Dec 15...not sure they are going to want me back in a car at all but Ill continue the winter build as planned.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:01 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** sam, sorry to hear. I will have a set of Sparco Pro ADV's in a couple of weeks that you are willing to try, to see if that work for you. Those are going in the E30. Let me know if you need anything at all, you have my contact info. Good luck!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:19 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Thanks buddy! Yeah let me know and Ill stop by at some point - I travel all over for work so Im always here/there.

Quick Reply: WTB: in-date halo race seat (not L / XL)