Sponsored by:

Car build (GTS3 / GT4S) seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Car build (GTS3 / GT4S) seeking advice

OTay, I've done my requisite 3.5 months on track and will build the car up over winter to race. Typical newbie mistakes (short tranny, Evo cariers and front end) run me out of perparedH in PCA, so I have my eyes set on GT4S, and NASA seems a gimme at GTS-3.

Gamroth will tweak the engine for me, cage, suspension and lightweight stuff will happen. I'm thinking we'll be right at 2650# wet with me in it and around 255 WHP so a bit of ballast here and there puts me close in each class.

What have I missed here? It seems I'm way underpowered for PCA, but cannot do up an engine this year.

Two easy questions...containment seat or no? Although fit, I'm stiffening with age and wonder about the containment seat vs. right side net.

Parking brake or no? I'd love to loose the unsprung weight and run AP rotors and hat in the rear, but really like the convenience of the P brake? What are your experiences.

Thanks, Kai
Old 10-18-2011, 11:12 AM
tonypai
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NASA requires the right side net. Safest way would be the containment seat and the right side net.

Make sure you have enough tire and suspension. I think you're fine power wise.

Good luck and maybe we'll see you at some NASA mid-west events.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out page 18 of this Club Racing News. It's an article on a 964 GT build.

http://pca.org/portals/crn/CRN-2009-04.pdf
Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I assume you're driving that 964 pictured in your avatar? I highly recommend a containment seat and wouldn't race without one. I had an extremely hard side impact this summer and all my safety gear worked as it should. I walked away 100% fine with no soreness in my neck. My wallet is the only thing that's sore.

IMO you'll get eaten alive in GTS4. Take a look at the lap times set by PCA H class cars then look at GTS4 times. You'll need to run some serious aero to keep up with the bimmers in NASA.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:37 AM
KaiB
Banned

Thanks Jack, puts a smile on my face.

RE: tire and suspension. We're stuck with the narrow body, but can get 245/275 R6s beneath it. Suspension will be the best I can do with the new Motion Control (and Weiner/Gamroth support) and ERP links.

IMO you'll get eaten alive in GTS4. NASA GTS3 for me. BTW, I've read your advice about containment seats and take it seriously.

Last edited by KaiB; 10-18-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:14 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I think a heavy big engine car like yours is excellent for GT4 class. Jeff Burger built one, he's still sorting it out but maybe you can find results on rennpoints. You'll be able to pass the light small engine cars on the straights and it will be tough for them to get back around you IMHO.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:20 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

It's really hard to beat the BMW's in GTS3, at least in the Great Lakes region. A friend who has maxed out his 993 S (aero and wide tires) is usually running for first place of cars not carrying the roundel. In PCA, monster (read high dollar) motors will be tough to beat.

If winning consistently is your goal, you have to do the motor for PCA. I have no idea what to advise for NASA GTS3 besides aero and perhaps building a motor to make more torque while restricting the HP to make the class.

Good luck! It's all fun.

I should add that I have experience in both GTS3 with my old 993 and GTS4 and GT4S with my 73 911 Kelly Moss built Peter Dawe engined car. The 73 rocked in both classes but I had more in that motor/gearbox than the whole 993 from bumper to bumper. The 993 was a G stock class car that was not so good for GTS3. No aero and that stock gearbox just killed me.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:26 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There isn't any ONE formula in GTS, particularly in GTS4. I've run both spectrums from my 250HP 2250# lightweight 1970 911 to a 370HP 2830# GT3Cup. Both are competitive and comparable on times (with no real testing on the Cup). By competetive I mean very fast. The difference is that the lightweight did better on short tracks, the Cup did better on faster tracks.

What region are you in?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 PM
KaiB
Banned

We're in Northern OK, so I'm in the new NASA Central and play with the KCPCA boys.

Hallett, HPT, MPH and two trips to HPR...as well as some TX stuff are on the card for next year.

My gearbox really helps with the lack of HP for PCA GT4, but the rest of the motor will have to wait.

I've seen the pointy end of Hallett and know I can get there with the suspension.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:57 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there done that. I have run both classes the same year and managed to put the car up front, but it is pretty brutal to hang on to the front. You must do the max suspension, widen your track, fender flares, wing, splitter. Smooth out the bottom of the car. Better brakes and better ABS ( I still need this). Cup car diff, puck clutch, short gears that are optimal for your favorite track. GT4s cars fit well into NASA GTS4, but not GTS3. The worked M3s will power by you in GTS3 and are well driven. Ironically, the biggest advantage to a 911 is when it rains and you need traction leaving the corners. Burger's (GT4R) motor cost as much as your car so to run near the front in PCA you will need such a build. I would suggest prepping for NASA initially since it all the mods carry over to PCA. When you can do the engine, then you can have fun in PCA GT class. BTW the fun in both classes is learning the aero tricks and how review data while tweeking the extra speed in the high speed corners.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:55 PM
KaiB
Banned

So Bob, I could feasibly get the car into GTS4 at 260WHP and say 2600# for a ratio of 10 (8.5 to 10.99)even...would this be more competetive than GTS3 at ratio 11 at 250 WHP and 2750#.

It certainly would be more fun to toss around at the GTS4 numbers, but at the bottom middle of the wt/hp ratio, I wonder...thus ask.

Yep, the 370hp Gamroth slidevalve motor will have to wait...neither I nor my wallet is ready for it anyway.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Containment seat.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Containment seat.
After having read every farking thread here, and trying 37 different seats...

too many say the very same thing. I fit the new Sparco like it was made for me.

P brake or not? When you want one, its nice to have. I spent last weekend pretending it was not there and it was a pain without.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

IMO having a p brake is a good thing. I really don't like leaving a car in gear on/in a trailer, so a p brake is a no brainer given the choice. Also, this may seem obvious, but when you get your seat of choice...get all suited up (nomex, helmet, HANS, shoes), get in the car, put up all the window nets, and have someone time you making an amergency exit. if you can do it in 10 seconds or less, you pass!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep, the Recaro HANS seat fits me perfectly.

For towing I like the security of having a parking brake.

Dang, VR beat me to it.

Quick Reply: Car build (GTS3 / GT4S) seeking advice