Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car build (GTS3 / GT4S) seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keith and Mike (and vicariously Paul!)...it really is gut check time, is it not?

The right thing to do here is to do up the suspension, get a second stock tranny (w 3.444 r&p) and unbolt the Evo wheel carriers. We can forget the money war, drive w/ ya'll and...

be an asshat also.

Game over, thanks to all - each and every one of you has contributed more than you know and I'll sleep much better tonight.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:57 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
be an asshat also.
Good to see that you are goal oriented.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:11 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
^^^ This ^^^ ...or sell your car and buy Watkins' RSA. Get in it, turn the key, and go racing.
That is a very good idea. Look at all the parts alone in Watkins car and it's worthwhile.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Good to see that you are goal oriented.
Hanging out here, its hard not to have such goals.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
I thought your car was in GTS3?

Nobody has really maxed out GTS4 in SE or MA, except Randy and his M3, not sure about other regions. Track records are 3-4 seconds off ST2 pace which is basically the same power to weight and unlimited mods. Heck, most of the time Josh is turning the same lap times in GTS3 as front runners in GTS4. I think right now Randy Mueller's M3 is the most developed, he turned 1:30.8 at RA and I'm sure it's good for 2:01 or so at VIR. Tough to see a narrow body 911 turning those times, but I guess not impossible.
Randy's first weekend out in the car he turned a 1:29.xxx at RA on Hoosier R80s. I believe his time of 1:30.8 was on R6s and with more tweaking since the first weekend. That car is hooked up and he is a perfectionist when it comes to finding the right setup every weekend.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:26 PM
dsfnctn
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kai,
I have been with Porsche as my car of choice since 1974. During this time I have also logged over 100,000 racing miles on sailboats all over the world and have yet to race a Porsche. I am in your same shoes with my Club Sport. I want to mix it up in the corners and DE with PCA will only get you so far. One thing for me is that even though I am competitive I could really give a hoot about the position in Class. All I want is to race someone( hopefully in Porsche). Now PCA needs attendance. I live in the west coast. All the PCA Club Races that I have sen have cars mixed in a bunch from all classes. Even though your car in PCA would race in GT, you are still going to be on the grid racing against cars of equal performance and skill level. I say run what you bring. I have chosen to put the Club Sport in the back of garage and I am building my own variation of a 911 Spec. Will it fit in the class?
No , I could really care less. I just want to race against anybody .I like the simplicity of a GT car . You can see everything . I will be racing next year for the first time. By the way I know of a killer deal on a car that you would really like
Colin
Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Goals change over time. You may be happy to just get out there and compete in the beginning but over time that may change, For example- a.) if you are at the low end of your class and consistently uncompetitive despite your driving skills or, b.) you have some success, podium, and would like to stay there.

Your first set of contingency tires will also change your perspective.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Your first set of contingency tires will also change your perspective.
Ain't that the truth brother.....
Old 10-27-2011, 07:08 PM
antonioconceicao
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2

I decided to detune my 964 engine, the key here is to get as much torque possible at low rpm and keep it flat up to 5K rpm's. I haven't done a race with it but I did one DE with the chip and I am off +-1sec of my fastest time as G class times.

BTW my times are not that good but the car has proven to be LOL

Originally Posted by J Smith
haha! thanks man.

It's getting harder and harder to build a crossover car these days (for PCA or BMWCCA). Easiest way is to have more than one tune for the car. Detuning works awesome in GTS if you can keep your torque numbers up.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:15 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Tough to win in GTS taking the slicks penalty. I'd say it's impossible in GTS3, a little closer in GTS4. Most NASA races are short, so A6's work very well.

Already been said above: the easy part in GTS is getting to the limit of power:weight for your class. The hard part is getting the car developed and fast from a suspension/aero point of view.

I have nothing to add in terms of PCA classing.
haha! thanks man.

It's getting harder and harder to build a crossover car these days (for PCA or BMWCCA). Easiest way is to have more than one tune for the car. Detuning works awesome in GTS if you can keep your torque numbers up.
Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Randy's first weekend out in the car he turned a 1:29.xxx at RA on Hoosier R80s. I believe his time of 1:30.8 was on R6s and with more tweaking since the first weekend. That car is hooked up and he is a perfectionist when it comes to finding the right setup every weekend.
Why are these BMW drivers here on Rennlist ?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Why are these BMW drivers here on Rennlist ?
They are spying on us so they can cheat better

Quick Reply: Car build (GTS3 / GT4S) seeking advice