Car build (GTS3 / GT4S) seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 04:51 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you did not ask this question -

However it normally is much more cost effective to buy a fully developed and built car that is already highly competative.

I am guessing you probably already thought of this, but at the risk of sounding redundant and silly, thought I would mention it.

Either way I know you will have a ton of fun!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Assuming you are on slicks, in the SE in GTS4 you'd be running against "baby cup" cars like mine and some other pretty quick cars like a converted GT3 (non-Cup car), or fully done M3 and 944 turbo. All are running some fairly wide rubber- wider than a non-flared 964 could get close to as I recall ( I think my fronts are your rears).

That being said you could afford to lose some more weight ( = $$) or find some more whp (= $$). Pick yer poison.

Ditto the buy one instead of build one comment ^^. You'll have the same advice for others a year or two from now after you've ignored it here and now ; )
Old 10-18-2011, 05:28 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

My advice is to set your car up for PCA H class. The mods you have are desirable parts and easy to sell.
Setting up a RSA to be competitive as an H prepared car is a fairly straight forward process.

Last edited by flatsics; 10-19-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:58 PM
J Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough to win in GTS taking the slicks penalty. I'd say it's impossible in GTS3, a little closer in GTS4. Most NASA races are short, so A6's work very well.

Already been said above: the easy part in GTS is getting to the limit of power:weight for your class. The hard part is getting the car developed and fast from a suspension/aero point of view.

I have nothing to add in terms of PCA classing.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:03 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
So Bob, I could feasibly get the car into GTS4 at 260WHP and say 2600# for a ratio of 10 (8.5 to 10.99)even...would this be more competetive than GTS3 at ratio 11 at 250 WHP and 2750#.

It certainly would be more fun to toss around at the GTS4 numbers, but at the bottom middle of the wt/hp ratio, I wonder...thus ask.

Yep, the 370hp Gamroth slidevalve motor will have to wait...neither I nor my wallet is ready for it anyway.
Actually what I am saying is a GTS3 car is difficult to run in PCA GT4S because your going against cars with 340whp and even more. Nasa GTS4 fits better with the PCA GT4S class. You could go backwards as suggested to stock class, but you would have a ton of fun in GTS3 NASA by adding the aero along with a wider track. Once you build a GT engine for PCA your going to bump yourself out of NASA GTS3 right into GTS4.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't listen to Josh since he knows nothing. BTW congrats on the National Title and thanks for breaking my track record at Summit.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:23 PM
J Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
don't listen to Josh since he knows nothing. BTW congrats on the National Title and thanks for breaking my track record at Summit.

haha! thanks man.

It's getting harder and harder to build a crossover car these days (for PCA or BMWCCA). Easiest way is to have more than one tune for the car. Detuning works awesome in GTS if you can keep your torque numbers up.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:56 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Assuming you are on slicks, in the SE in GTS4 you'd be running against "baby cup" cars like mine and some other pretty quick cars like a converted GT3 (non-Cup car), or fully done M3 and 944 turbo. All are running some fairly wide rubber- wider than a non-flared 964 could get close to as I recall ( I think my fronts are your rears).

That being said you could afford to lose some more weight ( = $$) or find some more whp (= $$). Pick yer poison.

Ditto the buy one instead of build one comment ^^. You'll have the same advice for others a year or two from now after you've ignored it here and now ; )
I thought your car was in GTS3?

Nobody has really maxed out GTS4 in SE or MA, except Randy and his M3, not sure about other regions. Track records are 3-4 seconds off ST2 pace which is basically the same power to weight and unlimited mods. Heck, most of the time Josh is turning the same lap times in GTS3 as front runners in GTS4. I think right now Randy Mueller's M3 is the most developed, he turned 1:30.8 at RA and I'm sure it's good for 2:01 or so at VIR. Tough to see a narrow body 911 turning those times, but I guess not impossible.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

With an intake restrictor and all steel i was borderline. Now sans restrictor and about 30 more whp and 170 lbs less weight i am firmly GTS4 and could still lose like another 100 lbs or so. This could get into a real NASA classification discussion but as youve seen the classes are very broad. Play with the numbers BEFORE you start making changes.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Gotcha

Sorry, didn't mean to start a classing conversation. Plus, it all depends on how competitive your region is and if you are "really" after a win or just enjoy running. Racing is fun, winning is a bit more fun
Old 10-19-2011, 02:18 AM
kcpaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by tonypai
NASA requires the right side net.
This is only true if you don't use a containment/halo seat.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:25 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I had fun running in PCA GT4S this season (stock 3.6l engine putting out 270 hp), and even managed to podium in 5 races; however, I was nowhere near the front-runners in terms of lap times (typically 1-2 seconds off Yonker's and Healey's pace depending on the tracks). Pretty much only managed to grab the last spot on the podium on each occasion due to attrition and luck (but then again there is something to be said for having a reliable car). It is true that there are out-of-class cars to run with on most occasions (particularly the GTB-1, GTB-2, I, J, and K cars for me), but this season it seamed that GT4S was usually at the bottom of the split, and I found myself running alone too often (boring).

For me, it's definitely more fun to be running in a large group of extremely closely matched in-class cars. Hands down, NASA GTS3 in MidAtlantic was the place to go for that type of juice (and you can win tires). Unfortunately, I didn't plan well this year and only managed to run one race with them. (BTW, I have to thank Josh and Bob for not showing up to the Spring Showdown and allowing me to take home set of hoo-hoos for my win). So Josh, can you post your schedule for next season so I can plan accordingly?

Last edited by ninjabones; 10-19-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glen, I've followed your car - and many others this year. Thanks all for the advice.

As all of ya'll know, it's gut check time - and the pocket plays a role here also. I close my season this year in search of one more DE trophy next weekend and will then strip the car and prep her for the trip out to Oregon where nobody yet knows what will be done.

I think we could certainly play at a regional level in GTS-3, and as Glen suggests, the racing can be fun (perhaps not class competetive) in GT4s. My observations tell me that so very much is driver skill related that this is the direction we should follow.

We'll tweak the engine this winter within reason for GTS-3 ratio hp/weight, with an eye on lowest weight possible and about 260 WHP - might do a wide body if I can afford to do it right and do up the best suspension Gamroth can do for me (this was happening anyway)...and then go play rookie next year.

Unless someone wants to trade a great race car for what could possibly be the best dual-purpose 964 in the country......

doh!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Olcha911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It would be much less expensive to take the car back to PCA H-prepared class than what you have described. If you run H, you can race with G-H-I cars at smaller tracks, and run in fields of 6-8 H competitors at the large major PCA races. Then after a year of that under your belt for a lot less money, you can decide if you want to stay in H or build/buy a new race car.

You will get crushed in GT, whether it's NASA or PCA without spending tons of money. Might as well just buy a 6-cup and test your skills in a SPEC class.

-Keith Olcha
Old 10-19-2011, 10:22 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Olcha911
It would be much less expensive to take the car back to PCA H-prepared class than what you have described. If you run H, you can race with G-H-I cars at smaller tracks, and run in fields of 6-8 H competitors at the large major PCA races. Then after a year of that under your belt for a lot less money, you can decide if you want to stay in H or build/buy a new race car.

You will get crushed in GT, whether it's NASA or PCA without spending tons of money. Might as well just buy a 6-cup and test your skills in a SPEC class.

-Keith Olcha
^^^ This ^^^ ...or sell your car and buy Watkins' RSA. Get in it, turn the key, and go racing.

Quick Reply: Car build (GTS3 / GT4S) seeking advice