Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Hoosier problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 241 Posts

I think the highest pressures I saw were around 46 and I felt like the rear was loose.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yes, if your car is particularly heavy. Hoosiers like to be run hard, but the problem is that at the pressure that they run best, you only have another pound or so increase before they get greasy, so most guys seem run them well below the optimum because of that.

On my 2700 lb RSA they worked best around 38 lbs hot.
Larry is on the same page I am, and Hoosier too.
There is a larger sweet spot that the tires run with a lower pressure, although this is NOT the fastest pressure setting for the tire. The downside to the higher pressure is it will go from "Oh my god awesome stick" to "Oh F*&% it's slippery and the tires are gone" . Point here is that for many people the lower pressure setting and thus larger sweet spot may be a better setting for many people, although then you run the risk of damaging the tire (sidewall or bead) to an improper over loading of weight, which is what I believe is what you are seeing.

I've found the best (fastest) pressure to be 39psi hot on a HoosierA6 & R6, (Hoosier slicks require totally different pressures).
With that being said ..... Your pressures will vary between guages, it's very possible that Larry's 38 hot psi on his guage is the exact same as the 39 hot psi on my guage. Point being that you need to find what works best for you and ALWAYS use the same guage and conditions. You might try Nitrogen as it makes for more consistency and less change due to moisture content in the tire.

I'm not a tire engineer, just a good ole boy with a little experience over the years.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

I can understand talking about heat and pressures if this were a sidewall or tread area failure. This looks like a bead wire failure. The bead is not flexed while in use on the tire rim. Why would the bead wire fail from stress before the side wall or tread belting? As said it is the one part of a tire that is not being flexed.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:27 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by kurt M
I can understand talking about heat and pressures if this were a sidewall or tread area failure. This looks like a bead wire failure. The bead is not flexed while in use on the tire rim. Why would the bead wire fail from stress before the side wall or tread belting? As said it is the one part of a tire that is not being flexed.
A few reasons that tires fail, some by individual, some coupled together. Heat is one, stress from weight which can be increased stress when too low a pressure run, and then also damage while mounting.
It's also not just the stresses but on the tires when cornering but when braking also, especially with a tire as sticky as the Hoosiers.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:29 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by kurt M
Remember, I'm no tire engineer, although I do know a few of them.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:37 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Nor am I, so I ask questions in order to learm me someting now and then. This one has my attention. I am having a hard time figuring out how the Bead which is held tightly and inflexably in place on the rim can fail and not along with the sidewall or belting. The bead is not stressed or heated to the same temps as the sidewall would be. Rotor heat cooking the rim and tire is one non tire heat source but there would be other signs of that. I found the tire temps to be lowest near the rim itself (Yes I have geeked out and checked all around the tire a time or two) with the rim acting as a heat sink. Less heat less flexation but still failed? I might be led to think there was as build issue. Any failures of this type in other brands?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:46 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
That happened to Mike Bavaro at Thunderbolt. That same looking wire was sticking out of the sidewall. I thought that it might have been some sort of tie wire because it looks too fat to be part of the bead wiring from what I have seen. I'd be interested to know what you find out. I also have a few dead Hoosiers around here. Maybe it's time to take a sawzall to one.
I have had to help the mechanics and cut more than a couple shredded tires off rims at work. Very much looks like bead wire as the wire in the belts and sidewalls is far finer from waht I have seen. A sawsall will grab and tangle with the wires yanking your arm around. Use a good sharp set of bolt cutters or a cut off wheel if you can stand the stink and black gunk flying around. The wire bead looks like a coil of strands straight bundled together not twisted. The idea is they are wound tight so they can't expand. Royal bear to cut off without scratching a rim sometimes. Strong wire to boot.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:52 PM
dnitake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same problem. I clipped it off when I noticed it and kept running. I clipped probably 2 feet
out over the day. The rate it came out was manageable, but the last run, it crept out 6" and took out
some paint on my rear fender. It's has to be one of the bead wires for that much to come out.
I figure this was an isolated incident. Guess not.
Edit: I wonder if the bead wire weld is brittle and faulty.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave is just so bloody fast in that pig. Driving the tires off it!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:14 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Just to clarify, which particular Hoosiers are these? A6/R6 or R80/R100s? Or is it happening across the board?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Dave is just so bloody fast in that pig. Driving the tires off it!
I owe it all to you bro!
Originally Posted by 333pg333
Just to clarify, which particular Hoosiers are these? A6/R6 or R80/R100s? Or is it happening across the board?
Mine are R6.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Dave, I also endorse high 30's for the R6. On the RS I found them best at 38F 39R hot. Your car weighs about 400 lbs more ......
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Have seen it on my customers cars with R6 and with R80/100 (slicks). The slicks seemed to be more common with this issue. No reason we could find other than manufacturer defect. Seemed it happened one tire about every 10 sets. Never seen it happen on a front, just the rears.

Quick Reply: Interesting Hoosier problem