2011 Korean Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:51 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by consolidated
Nice to see Hamilton do well or well enough having been on pole, and his battle with Webber was both a ballet and a knife fight, fantastic stuff. Vettel had everything in order, even after the restart, nothing left to say.

Glad to see I was wrong about Lewis screwing up.

Congrats to Red Bull
Old 10-16-2011, 07:51 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,343 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Correct, they achieve it now with slow pitstops... 1st wasn't slow enough (only 3 secs slower) but 2nd was enough to put Alonso ahead.

Oh and nice to hear Alonso's "never give up, fighter" radio call... WTF?
Finn,

Did you ever hear Michael Schumacher say anything like that on the radio? Enzo Ferrari is rolling in his grave right now. Alonso's lucky the old man is not around now as he would have taken a shot at Miss Alonso for that BS and would be looking for a new ride for the next race. Disgraceful to say the least.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:07 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vettel is in another time zone. He missed pole by 2 10ths and wins the race by 12 secs. Passed LH at turn 4 like he was a back marker. He is so good on cold tires. Nobody even comes close to matching his speed at the start or after a SC. Even got fastest lap - on the last lap of the race. The team had to tell him to slow down.

FA gets help in the pits to over take his teammate, then does his best Roberto-No Mas-Duran imitation. I give up. I give up? Are you serious? The guy should lose the ride. Faux 2 without a doubt.

MS was magnanimous but nothing was on the line. If he had been running in the top 4, I think he would have chosen different words.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't really think the "I give up" comment was that big of a deal. It's not like he pulled into the pits and got out of the car. I'm sure he just meant that he was finished taking chances with the car for little or no gains at all with only a handful of laps left in the race.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Oh and nice to hear Alonso's "never give up, fighter" radio call... WTF?
"I give up."

It was shocking to hear that, then funny, then sad. Think he's had about enough of this season along with Hamilton?

Hamilton's firm and terse transmission of "don't talk to me when I'm racing" was also interesting, but more understandable.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:21 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not in Alonso's head with the intent of this comment, but I can't ever imagine Senna saying that...
Old 10-16-2011, 10:39 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I am ALMOST begiining to like Alonso a lot after he acts so classy.

And I can understand why some folks like him as much as they do, as he is kinda a pretty boy and acts so cool and all of that. But to heck with the pretty boy stuff. Just win baby as the man said. RIP to Al as well.

But then we are back to " Alonso has the fastest car today .... Do you understand..." transmissions to Massa. I understand and accept that he is racing for second place in the WDC. I do. But Massa has got to get tired of hearing that in his ear every week. It is a wonder that he does not pop a gut with all of that. If it is not that it is Hamilton taking him out . The guy is Rodney Dangerfield in F1 at the minute in terms of cant get the respect. I hope Alonso shows him some.

Got to love Vettel bringing it ! Uh and as for AWayne faux crud.... well that crud is faux by faux.

And Schumi acts like a man as always. It is just racing. Got to love it too.

Maturity is a good thing in Formula One.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by consolidated
"I give up."

It was shocking to hear that, then funny, then sad. Think he's had about enough of this season along with Hamilton?

Hamilton's firm and terse transmission of "don't talk to me when I'm racing" was also interesting, but more understandable.
There is simply a new breed of driver in F1 that isn't about the team and just out for themselves. It's tough for someone like me, who likes the grit and grind of F1 and the working "AS A TEAM" to get to the desired goal to accept. Lets not forget that Enzo fired a 4 time WDC in Prost for calling the car "a truck". I'm telling you, they would have had to restrain the old man if he had heard that over the radio!

I could have swore that given the way McLaren raised Hamilton from a 13 year old in karting to being a F1 WDC, he would be a company man for life. Yet, McLaren didn't leave Hamilton, he left McLaren with the way he has driven and acted toward his team.

A lot of contracts are set to expire at the end of 2012 including Hamilton, Webber, Massa, Schumacher and others.... it's going to get interesting....
Old 10-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
A lot of contracts are set to expire at the end of 2012 including Hamilton, Webber, Massa, Schumacher and others.... it's going to get interesting....
Since when did a contract expiration date mean anything in F1?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Since when did a contract expiration date mean anything in F1?
I know what you mean, but in this instance, everyone is waiting to see what everyone else is going to do and hence, no real "silly season" in F1 this year . McLaren isn't going to release LH hoping he just had a bad year and he rebounds to old form. RBR just resigned Webber to a one year contract and Massa is safe for one more year.

Regardless of what some here say, MS has driven as well or better than Rosberg this year only trailing by 7 points after 16 rounds and experienced bad luck DNFs to boot. He still provides "marketing cache" to MB, but I don't think he's having fun at this point in his life with a car that is 7th or 8th fasted on track.

Reading the tea leaves, Perez has tested for Ferrari and with Carlos Slim money, could be a good fit at the Scuderia.

Hamilton has also been courted earlier this year by RBR and Luca Di Montezemolo has also remarked on how much he likes LH. That was before Hamilton's string of bad races, but he's ripe for someone to sign him that can convince him that the grass is greener on the other side.

Let's not forget that Alonso announced a year before going to McLaren that he was signed, sealed and delivered. I don't think that will happen with LH because he might want to salvage his relationship with McLaren, but both parties might need a change for what's best for each one.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete, can't agree with you when it comes to the RBR team. They all seem to be on the same page and it shows. Vettel looks to be the consummate team player even though he is in a league of his own. Webber, once he got over being the teams #2, has also fallen in line. At the moment, there is harmony at RBR.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:09 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't put Massa down as a lock for next year at Ferrari. If Perez or someone else came in with enough money Ferrari would dump him in a heart beat. FA is a lock despite his humiliating the team with his "I give up" comment.

MB is set with their drivers. RBR will keep SV. MW is a lock at least through the end of 2012.
For all the hub bub, LH is not going anywhere, anytime soon.
I feel bad for Kovalainen. He is a good driver stuck at the bottom of the team pool.
I would like to see Kobayashi in a good car. I think he has something we haven't seen yet.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

As a long time Alonso supporter I must admit that I was disappointed to hear that.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
You know that since no one has voted for Hamilton, he will drive an inspired race just to show that he can still do it, if not on a regular basis, just to make us look bad.
Prescient statment.

He drove a very good race
Old 10-17-2011, 11:31 AM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Lets not forget that Enzo fired a 4 time WDC in Prost for calling the car "a truck". ..
Fail. Enzo couldn't possibly have fired him, he was already dead 3 years (1988) when Prost was let go (1991)... you just make sh*t up as you go along, huh Pete? Did you actually see Alonso back off from the race? Did it ever occur to you that it was a ploy to get Button to let down his guard? Fernando right there to the end, 1 second behind Button and 3.5 from Hammy...

Quick Reply: 2011 Korean Grand Prix