Sponsored by:

Ayrton Senna documentary

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Ayrton Senna documentary

A nicely done documentary about Ayrton Senna (some is in Spanish - not that there's anything wrong with Spanish, just that I don't understand it).

(about an hour long)
Old 10-11-2011, 07:06 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I respectfully disagree.

The so-called "documentary" was, in my opinion (as a veteran journalist of more than 40 years), as lopsided as Fox News. It contained a magnificent collection of previously unseen video. But that video came at a cost. The family...and the current F1 management...released it only with prior approval of final cut.

I have difficulty with that. And as much as I revered Ayrton's immense driving skills, he was no angel. The so-called "documentary" took great liberties with the story line and made huge chronological transitions.

It was similar in many ways to Martin Scorsese's overwrought George Harrison documentary, "Living In A Material World," which aired last week on HBO. That show, too, had great video, but it painted Harrison as an unworldly saint. He was not. And Scorsese was able to build his immense 4-hour opus only with the approval of Olivia Harrison, and others, who controlled the archival video.

Beware of lopsided public relations vehicles disguised as documentaries. "Senna" was entertaining, but don't believe everything you see on the big screen...or the small screen, especially.

BTW - I saw "Senna" at a small art theater in Winter Park, FL, last week. And as the closing credits rolled, several women nearby sobbed. We are all so easily manipulated.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

When someone dies young- good , bad or in-between, its not a happy event.
When they are extremely talented with more success likely ahead- its even more so.
When they are also handsome, with Latin charm- they are a triple threat.
The women you saw can be forgiven.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

I have received some coaching from Chris Hall. He raced some against Senna back in the day. He told me that AS was religious but would pretty much do any nasty trick to win. Kind of like Dale Eenhardt did in NASCAR.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Kind of like Dale Eenhardt did in NASCAR.
Who? What's NASCAR?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is something that they follow in trailer parks. 3 or 4 beers minimum are required to really get into it. The beers help with making your sister look better also.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

The "Senna" movie in theaters is not the same as the video above.

The theatrical one did not get into the "right to win" religious stuff.

Maybe Senna turned racing in the wrong direction, by showing people it's ok to crash another guy (and yourself) out to win. They should have penalized him somehow and maybe Shumi would not have done the same sort of things to win, taking the "sport" out of racing.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is Portuguese not Spanish. Probably equally incomprehensible but just want to set the record straight
Old 10-14-2011, 03:54 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
The so-called "documentary" was, in my opinion (as a veteran journalist of more than 40 years), as lopsided as Fox News. It contained a magnificent collection of previously unseen video. But that video came at a cost. The family...and the current F1 management...released it only with prior approval of final cut.

I have difficulty with that. And as much as I revered Ayrton's immense driving skills, he was no angel. The so-called "documentary" took great liberties with the story line and made huge chronological transitions.

It was similar in many ways to Martin Scorsese's overwrought George Harrison documentary, "Living In A Material World," which aired last week on HBO. That show, too, had great video, but it painted Harrison as an unworldly saint. He was not. And Scorsese was able to build his immense 4-hour opus only with the approval of Olivia Harrison, and others, who controlled the archival video.

Beware of lopsided public relations vehicles disguised as documentaries. "Senna" was entertaining, but don't believe everything you see on the big screen...or the small screen, especially.

BTW - I saw "Senna" at a small art theater in Winter Park, FL, last week. And as the closing credits rolled, several women nearby sobbed. We are all so easily manipulated.
While what you're saying is quite likely true, the sad part was not just losing a once in a lifetime talent, but just how much he meant to his people, many who are highly disadvantaged and often only have their heroes to look to. Clearly the doco was made by enthusiasts, but I still found it very watchable.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for sharing the video.

Quick Reply: Ayrton Senna documentary