Sponsored by:

Dead Pedal for My Race Car....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts
Default Dead Pedal for My Race Car....

I need a dead pedal for my race car ('87 930 coupe chassis). Is there any good reason I should spend the extra money for the Rennline dead pedal ($75) over the AJUSA dead pedal ($43.97)?

Are there better options?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

On one of my cars I have an AJUSA, on another a Weltmeister and on another a custom made one. If you are handy with a welder, that is the way to go.

The difference is mostly (IMHO) ease of installation.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my AJUSA dead pedal. Make sure you grind down the tips of the screws in the wheelwell after you're finished.

If you were going to weld in a custom pedal, you should have done it before you put the cage in... Just reaching down there (over the door bars) to screw in an AJ or Rennline pedal is going to cause a hernia as it is.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Pricey but consistent with the factory pedal in the earlier cars

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ght=dead+pedal
Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
I love my AJUSA dead pedal. Make sure you grind down the tips of the screws in the wheelwell after you're finished.

If you were going to weld in a custom pedal, you should have done it before you put the cage in... Just reaching down there (over the door bars) to screw in an AJ or Rennline pedal is going to cause a hernia as it is.
+ 2 Aleve!

Re: the screws in the wheel well, I used button head allens from the wheel well into the car where I used lock washer and nylocks.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Re: the screws in the wheel well, I used button head allens from the wheel well into the car where I used lock washer and nylocks.
Nice idea!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

I installed it per the instructions and then looked in the wheel well and that spooked me. Since the holes were already there it was a breeze to "modify" the installation. This is on my street car (78 SC).
Old 10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
winders
Race Car

Thanks, guys. I ordered the AJUSA dead pedal.

Scott
Old 10-13-2011, 04:30 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Astroman

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
+ 2 Aleve!

The AJUSA dead pedal arrived today. I put the race car up on jack stands (Esco 3-ton) and took all the wheels off so I had easy access to everything. I took the rear wheels off because I wanted easier access to the CV joint bolts so I could check their torque.

Anyway, I enlarged the fastener holes and used M6-1.0 pan head machine screws with split lock washers and nylon lock nuts. The screw heads are in the wheel well and the nuts are in the foot well. That's a far cry better than the lousy #6 sheet metal screws provided for the job. That's .236" for the M6 machine screw versus .140" for the #6 sheet metal screw and not relying on the thin sheet metal to secure the dead pedal. This dead pedal is not going anywhere.

Thanks for all the input!!

Scott

Quick Reply: Dead Pedal for My Race Car....