Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

USA! USA! USA!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:01 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Pool Week = Motor Industry Pool Test Week

The car manufacturers association takes over the track for a week several times a year for development, testing and reliability purposes.

The reason I think the run was done in a Pool week is that the lap starts at the old pits, which are mostly used by the manufacturers. (but where does it finish)

As far as the tyres go, only the most boneheaded development project manager would use crap tyres to set a fast lap - there are plenty of much better road tyres around than were on this car.

The more I think about it, the more I smell old fish

R+C

The lap ends just past the right hander that splits from the Grand Prix circuit, so shortly before the old pit lane exit.

There maybe plenty of better "road" tires around to run on any car that hits the 'Ring, but the lap time is only worthwhile if its run on OEM equipment. The assumption has to be that it was on the same spec tire that you would get from the dealer as replacement.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2BWise
The lap ends just past the right hander that splits from the Grand Prix circuit, so shortly before the old pit lane exit.

There maybe plenty of better "road" tires around to run on any car that hits the 'Ring, but the lap time is only worthwhile if its run on OEM equipment. The assumption has to be that it was on the same spec tire that you would get from the dealer as replacement.
Absolutely! Sending off a car with an official lap time around the ring should definitely run OEM tires. Otherwise there is a bladder control issue with the result..

What doesn't feel right is; why market a car with a ring time and use poor OEM tires at the same time? If price is an issue, there is always the possibility to give the buyers an option tire that scream less than a horror movie victim? Feels like they are sandbagging on purpose.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:54 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

What is the definition of a poor OEM tire?

What do you consider a not poor OEM offering; Pilot Sport Cup?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in whole hearted agreement with 2BWise -- 99.999% of the buying population would NOT appreciate buying a Camaro which is equipped with a tire that has a road life of 5k miles or less, and that is marginal at best in the pouring rain, and that is sketchy to drive if the outside temp is less than 30 deg F. that's what you'd be delivering if you equipped the ZL-1 with Sport Cups.

come on guys, this is a car that is aimed at buyers who are going to drive it all over the place, in lots of different weather! i mean, this vehicle costs less than most of your guys' tow vehicles! i'm sure that the ZL-1 has good high performance tires on it right out of the box; but of COURSE they are going to screech when pushed hard like that! they are NOT racing tires!

your average GT3-RS or Viper ACR is aimed at a very special segment of the population; most of those guys are planning on doing track days, and aren't planning on commuting (at least, not very often, and only on a nice warm sunny day) to work in it. in that case, the R compound is fine to mount as the OEM tire.

also, i strongly agree that all 'Ring attempts should be done with a totally box stock car; no change of tires, or brake pads, or anything else for that matter.

Todd
ReidSpeed

PS that Camaro would kick some serious *** with an R comp on it!!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What is the definition of a poor OEM tire?

What do you consider a not poor OEM offering; Pilot Sport Cup?
Let me correct what I said, what I meant was:
A poor choice for this specific task.
It can of course be excellent in many other aspects.

Now this is of course speculations as usual. But if the car has potential, it would be nice if they threw in an option to deliver the car with a different set of tire and also go to the ring to fully disclose its potential.

But perhaps this is what they've got? I'm just judging from an internet video without knowing what tires they ran. So speculation it is.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that wasn't my question.....

as far as the tyres go, some good Contis would do for starters, SportContact n, for example. All that shouty stuff just slows you up and distracts you, to say nothing of horrendous tyre wear.

R+C
Old 10-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by d15b7

also, i strongly agree that all 'Ring attempts should be done with a totally box stock car; no change of tires, or brake pads, or anything else for that matter.
You are being admirably naive!

Since when has Detroit ever played fair with their road test cars, or when record setting for that matter.

US punters mostly get shafted with crap tyres, the carcases of which litter the Freeways and Interstates.

R+C
Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Oh, man, keep those crappy Contis away from my cars, for sure!

As for Sport Cups, they do perfectly fine in the snow, BTDT, really, you guys are just a buncha wussies.

R6s, now those are a touch tricky in the snow... LOL
Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Oh, man, keep those crappy Contis away from my cars, for sure!

As for Sport Cups, they do perfectly fine in the snow, BTDT, really, you guys are just a buncha wussies.

R6s, now those are a touch tricky in the snow... LOL
The list of folk who choose Contis include several Le Mans winners, F1 winners, and WRC winners. What makes your car so different?

R+C
Old 10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by d15b7
I am in whole hearted agreement with 2BWise -- 99.999% of the buying population would NOT appreciate buying a Camaro which is equipped with a tire that has a road life of 5k miles or less, and that is marginal at best in the pouring rain, and that is sketchy to drive if the outside temp is less than 30 deg F. that's what you'd be delivering if you equipped the ZL-1 with Sport Cups.

come on guys, this is a car that is aimed at buyers who are going to drive it all over the place, in lots of different weather! i mean, this vehicle costs less than most of your guys' tow vehicles! i'm sure that the ZL-1 has good high performance tires on it right out of the box; but of COURSE they are going to screech when pushed hard like that! they are NOT racing tires!
FWIW the ZL-1 Camaro is aimed squarely at the Shelby GT500 which has an MSRP of $48k - $52k and comes equipped with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 tires.

Word around the campfire is those are the same tires the ZL-1 will come equipped with and were on the car in the video.

Tire specs:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....upercar+G%3A+2
Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
The list of folk who choose Contis include several Le Mans winners, F1 winners, and WRC winners. What makes your car so different?

R+C
Production tires vs. purpose-built race tires.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,080 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
FWIW the ZL-1 Camaro is aimed squarely at the Shelby GT500 which has an MSRP of $48k - $52k and comes equipped with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 tires.

Word around the campfire is those are the same tires the ZL-1 will come equipped with and were on the car in the video.
True dat.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Production tires vs. purpose-built race tires.
Contis are regular tyres, if somewhat expensive at high speed and load ratings - nothing to do with racing.

Idiot drivers under-rate them because they aren't as shouty as many others.

R+C
Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Never been on the Contis, but I do know the Goodyears have an amazing amount of grip. Who cares if they're shouty. They're fast.

Quick Reply: Camaro @ Nurburgring- Fast!