Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, RennList....where should I move?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011 | 08:21 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Wink

Does this mean that you now accept "liberal" science, i.e., global warming? Can't have it both ways.
Old 10-01-2011 | 09:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Does this mean that you now accept "liberal" science, i.e., global warming? Can't have it both ways.
Well, I can see this thread is going well...

John, hahahaha!! I didn't intend for this to become an ideological discussion. The earth has undergone cycles of its climate and atmospheric makeup for billions of years, well before mankind was even a zygote. This means that the small portion of the planet where I live has as well...as the article says. To think that somehow mankind is now "causing" what has occurred for billions of years before we were around is the supreme form of arrogance, hubris, myopia, and desire for societal and economic control. That is all I will say on the matter.
Old 10-01-2011 | 09:36 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

I was born in Dallas, family moved to OC when I was twelve, lived in zooport and HB for years, spent two years in SD, moved to Jersey twenty years ago.

First choice for me would be SD
Second would be coastal Florida

Btw

Living anywhere you have to shovel your roof is stupid
Old 10-01-2011 | 09:54 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Charlotte. Search your feeeeelings. You know it to be true.

3 hours to Tail of the Dragon
3 hours to the Coast
3 hours to VIR.

What else do you need to say?

(Come on Peter, Florida? No elevation changes, every turn is a right angle, sinkholes, no good roads for spirited driving) :-)
Old 10-01-2011 | 10:03 AM
SWK6Cup

My .02-
If you are a water person, Florida- even though it is somewhat like "god's" waiting room- lot's of seriously old people, decent medical care/service(+)- great access to airports(+) (you are already used to the flying/travel). Gated communities(-), and for me, too damn hot and muggy/bugs, serious storms also means very expensive flood insurance if you are directly coastal(-) and the summers are intolerable(-) unless, you like hot and humid or you are also a boater and you can have yours in the back yard. Great property protection, i.e, homestead laws, But hey, great food, great cigars- that should offset one or two of the negatives. Part time, FL is a winner......

If you are more of a mountain person, Boulder, CO. absolutely killer weather(+) almost always sunny, if it snows, gone in days, if not minutes, no bugs (+), great airport/centrally located (+), awesome hiking/outdoors stuff, skiing/snowboarding(-) no humidity (+) but dry/arid (+/-?). Water is in the reservoirs- seeing boaters is kinda strange. Boulder is also for those that never made it to SF,CA. (*ducking*)...........
As a long shot, one place I would look at very seriously, do a lot more research, Vancouver, BC.

So, what are the priorities, family proximity/water/mountains/tracks and in what order?
Old 10-01-2011 | 10:30 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Chris-

I love the Carolinas and my next big purchase is a home in the mountains. That said, I couldn't live year-round in a place that gets below 40 degrees for extended periods of time... I do have to agree with you on the roads for driving though...
Old 10-01-2011 | 11:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Country911
So, what are the priorities, family proximity/water/mountains/tracks and in what order?
Tough to answer, frankly. What is precipitating this is the very real prospect of our chosen domicile literally running our of water. In the past week, our sole water supply went from 39% full to 38% full. It was 100% full 11 months ago, Halloween 2010. The article I posted in the OP is but one of many long range forecasts emphatically stating that our current worst-ever drought will continue at least through 2012. This will IMO make this place unliveable, and the dip****s running the water supply seem to live in the land of Oz, since they have only gone to a "you can only water your lawn & fill your pool twice a week" conservation regime. WTF? At the current rate, we will be out of water by June. They seem remarkably unconcerned.

We have family in Colorado and Northern California. I don't see us moving to the latter at this time, simple economic reality. We like water & mountains. Race tracks are core to who I am & what I do. So a place like Colorado would be great for family & our daughter, and terrible for tracks, whereas in the Souutheast (for example) we'd be starting over in a brand new place that is awesome for track proximity. Hence the slight dilemma..
Old 10-01-2011 | 11:26 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Good luck with your decision. I see weather, proximity to tracks and driving roads, politics and comments about the real and/or perceived proclivities of different ethnic groups mentioned by others, ome of which some folks might find amusing or offensive.

But I don't think I see your "specs." (You just posted some, great). So my answer is to pick a place that meets your specs.

I live in Norcal, and I grew up in WI. I lived in NH for quite a while, and South Jersey for 3 years. Aspects of the first three have been appealing to me, the latter not so much.

Right now I live less than a quarter mile from the Hayward fault. Not sure I really like that.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you and your family.
Old 10-01-2011 | 11:29 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chads996
Atlanta. I have lived all over the country. So far...the Atlanta area wins.

Tolerable summers
Beautiful spring and fall
Short winters
Major airport for travel
Tracks in all directions
4 hours to the beach
1 hour to the mountains
20 min to road Atlanta.
15 min to the lake

Chad
+ your social security number

An hour in any direction of the city is beautiful also. I've lived a lot of places also and find that area REALLY nice!!
Old 10-01-2011 | 12:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Good luck with your decision. I see weather, proximity to tracks and driving roads, politics and comments about the real and/or perceived proclivities of different ethnic groups mentioned by others, ome of which some folks might find amusing or offensive.

But I don't think I see your "specs." (You just posted some, great). So my answer is to pick a place that meets your specs.

I live in Norcal, and I grew up in WI. I lived in NH for quite a while, and South Jersey for 3 years. Aspects of the first three have been appealing to me, the latter not so much.

Right now I live less than a quarter mile from the Hayward fault. Not sure I really like that.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you and your family.
Thanks, man, appreciate it!
Old 10-01-2011 | 12:27 PM
jcs_911
Racer

This guy is saying the Texas drought could last 15 years.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...170156561.html
Old 10-01-2011 | 12:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcs_911
This guy is saying the Texas drought could last 15 years.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...170156561.html
Same guy as in my OP, and he is saying we are already 6 years into it, which is true.
Old 10-01-2011 | 12:53 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I've travelled a bit in the States, an outsider's eye enjoyed

Northern Nevada

California - Monterey & Northern part of state inc SF

Annapolis & Delmava Peninsular

southern New Hampshire (also good for tax)

Charleston SC

Seattle

avoid Grosse Point

R+C
Old 10-01-2011 | 01:24 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

I'd say: Richmond, Charlotte or Charlottesville.
Old 10-01-2011 | 01:33 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Charolette,Dallas,Noth Atlanta

Quick Reply: OK, RennList....where should I move?