Sponsored by:

991 GT3RSR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:47 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 991 GT3RSR?

Anyone heard if the 991 GT3RSR will be intro'd for next year's ALMS etc? Yes, I know that the GT3 street car typically has to come out first but I believe there have been instances in which a bye has been given with the assumption that the road versions around the corner.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:49 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

will there be an ALMS next year to run it in?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doubtful. I don't think the 997 GT3RSR got introduced in race trim until 2006, and even then, there were several teams that opted to stick with the 996 version through the start of the 2007 season.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

What makes you think there will even be a 991 RSR? I'm thinking if they want to keep up with Ferrari and BMW then they need to switch to the rumored 911 based mid engined V8 960 model; more umph, more stable platform, as sad as it is to say, it may be time to move the engine forward a few inches
Old 09-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
What makes you think there will even be a 991 RSR? I'm thinking if they want to keep up with Ferrari and BMW then they need to switch to the rumored 911 based mid engined V8 960 model; more umph, more stable platform, as sad as it is to say, it may be time to move the engine forward a few inches
I have been saying that for a few years now. I think if they had wanted to STAY AHEAD of Ferrari and BMW, they should have moved to it a few years ago. The 997 GT3 RSR has not been competitive all season. The teams have done a good job of keeping it near the front of the field, but they only win when others falter.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:22 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I would be surprise if the ALMS survives. Their internet only broadcast deal was either a real bonehead move or, most likely, the only option they had for any coverage at all.

I have heard factory drivers complaining about the RSR being behind the curve against the competition and at the end of its development capabilities. Why they did not build the new 918 Spider for GT competition I have no clue. What a Ferrari and Corvette killer that looks to be.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Why they did not build the new 918 Spider for GT competition I have no clue. What a Ferrari and Corvette killer that looks to be.
Because they're priorities are : 1- Selling cars 2- Winning races.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, I'm skeptical. Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of a Cayman RSR, and I love the 918 RSR concept. For now, I'm guessing that there will be a 991 RSR. The extended wheelbase might, just might, offset some of the issues of having a rear engined platform.

But I'm not digging in here. Mid-engine GT class Porsche=
Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 PM
EPWilson
Advanced

It's also important to remember that cars in the GT class are supposed to be performance balanced. Based on the results BMW had this year one can question how effectively that is being done, but allegedly if Porsche came out with a new GT car that was far and away better than anything else out there it would quickly get penalized to allow the rest of the field to be competitive.

That said, I'm sure there will be a 991 GT3 R eventually since this will be the next generation of Porsche's best-selling customer race car. As long as there is GT racing I would hope they'd do an RSR as well...
Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

All they have to do is give the RSR a little bigger intake restrictor and it would win every race easily. They think they have all the cars equal, but some teams are better at sandbagging when they need to.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

Rules changes will keep a rear-engined car competitive. ALMS acknowledges the importance of having diverse cars in its field. This has been confirmed by Porsche themselves. Kind of getting to the point of Grand-AM/NASCAR though which I don't like...

That being said the fact that a stock 991 can circle the 'Ring in the same time as a GT3 with the same power makes me think the new chassis has done wonders for handling and that it may be competitive out of the box...
Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
will there be an ALMS next year to run it in?
Having just returned from Petit Le Mans, I would say that question is a bit ignorant.

Even if ALL of the races were untelevised, I guarantee some teams would still show up, and the tracks and organizers would be ecstatic to have them. Between the record crowds I witnessed at Sebring, and the record crowds around Road Atlanta, I would venture that the organizers made plenty of money. (I know the Lizards made a few hundred on merch from one certain individual...)
Old 10-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
Having just returned from Petit Le Mans, I would say that question is a bit ignorant.

(I know the Lizards made a few hundred on merch from one certain individual...)
Man, the Lizards KILL it on selling merch! +1 for the ALMS being around for years to come.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
What makes you think there will even be a 991 RSR?...
There will be new RSR.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:46 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
I have been saying that for a few years now. I think if they had wanted to STAY AHEAD of Ferrari and BMW, they should have moved to it a few years ago. The 997 GT3 RSR has not been competitive all season. The teams have done a good job of keeping it near the front of the field, but they only win when others falter.
The only time anyone has won is when the BMW's falter, and the only reason they are winning is because of all of the concessions to the rules they have gotten over the last couple of years. Once they have the same rule book that everyone else has, they will not be in the picture (If that happens).

NOTHING was competitive with the special rule book BMW's, not even the Ferrari's, nothing, and you can bet they were sandbagging it.

We go through this same spill every time the 911's don't win the championship, which has only been what 3 times in ALMS history?

Quick Reply: 991 GT3RSR?