Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Championship! Good luck.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:38 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
5 to 10 years from now, what are you going to care more about?
Scott

Ding, ding....winner. We can't advise you, it's your decision.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:17 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many times have you raced at Buttonwillow?
How many at Laguna Seca? On the same weekend as some of the greatest cars and drivers?
Has your competition started and finished every race? Maybe they could be persuaded to skip a race by your crew passes for RRIV?

If you decide to come to RRIV, I'll be in one of the Spec Boxsters watching my mirrors making sure you get by cleanly. 5 of the 6 SPBs in Group 7 race with PRC and are used to sharing the track with zoomy cars.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

JR.. can you give me your spot at RR????

Im not in the hunt for the championship with you......this year
Old 09-15-2011, 12:19 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Has your championship been hotly contested?
- Mike (I will be at RR IV driving in Group 7)
Oh yea, no love lost since he bumped me down a straight earlier this year....

Originally Posted by racer
You should have locked up your repeat championship earlier this season
Tryin... Had a decent lead but I've uncharacteristically had mechancals the last 3 races......

Originally Posted by C4 Pazzo
How many times have you raced at Buttonwillow? How many at Laguna Seca?
They've reserved a burial plot for me at BW. Between NASA and POC I race there 4-5 times per year. That gives me a great advante for this upcoming race.

I blew my clutch/PP flywheel in Friday's practice at Laguna last month so I had little seat time. We could have fixed it but in lieu of my friend's untimely death I chose to let it go. Laguna uncorked would be fun especially with Gamroth there, but as KaiB posted, I'm definitely leaning to BW and the championship....

Originally Posted by mobonic
Im not in the hunt for the championship with you......this year
Yes young grasshopper I'm expecting big things from you soon though I'm still disappointed you let "HIM" around you so easily at Laguna....
Old 09-15-2011, 12:33 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

What if you go to the championship and lose? J/K
Old 09-15-2011, 12:36 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PUNT
Old 09-15-2011, 02:17 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
What if you go to the championship and lose? J/K
Won't happen. You know anything's possible in racing but....
Old 09-15-2011, 02:23 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Did you think those three mechanicals in a row would happen?

Scott
Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Are you a do-er or a voyeur? Go for the championship.
+1 and you better not screw it up!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:05 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Go for the POC championship. Every RR gets treated like it's going to be the last gathering in the world of all these great cars. Then a few years later they organize another one at a different great track around the country and do it again. RR is becoming a "franchised" gig. I don't think this will be the last one in our lifetimes. It won't be at Laguna again, but it will happen again. How many chances does a racecar driver get back to back titles in any series?
Old 09-15-2011, 03:11 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you care more about being a side show at big dance or being in the thick of it. I race my 944 spec not to go to big races and just ciruclate around. I go racing to race with people. Hard close and clean.

A few years ago I gave-up on a NASA race to run PCA race in Las Vegas. Las Vegas was a "big race" lots of fast and nice cars etc. However I never really raced anyone. I once picked up 2 seconds a lap and I will still the slowest car in the run group by 2 seconds a lap. Heck for one start I got a jump on the feild and passed 3-4 ROWS of cars. By the time we got to the back part of the track I was right back were I was before... Last. Now part of that was running in PCA GT4S in my 944 spec. That was the only legal class I run in PCA and got put in a group with all the GT cars so I was some 20 seconds off fast car in class which was a GT3RS (the old racing version not street car types). Anyway it was fun in a way to be there, but I was more of a spectator than a real partcipant.

I have had more fun racing when I know I have competition even if is just a dinkly backyard track. Last race I did I won my class is very tough race with fellow 944 guy. I ended up passing him in the last lap of the race and took the win. First time I beat this guy in straight up fight ever. And we have race each ther for 5 years. So despite being on a dinky 1.1 mile track it was still a big deal.

Anyway I decided after the PCA event that I need to decicate my racing to a series and on track competion. Going a a "big race" is not realy what I want. Now a big race with competition is out standing, but going to big race and just circulating... Well not worth it and definetly not worth it to give up some special. Winning champsionships is hard. Even regional only season long deals is tough becuase it requires consistancy as well as speed. If you have real competition in class it really is satisfying. I have won regional championships before and lost them as well. I have seen guys win alot of races, but miss key races and not win championships. You can see that it gets to them even if we all know they were the "fastest guy" that season.

Seems to me if you really care about a championship do that. It is months of work that supports it. Some guys just want the experience of "being there" for those Rennsport is probably better.

So who are you?
Old 09-15-2011, 03:37 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Tough decision, indeed. The "What are you going to care more about in 5 to 10 years" question is key. From what you have initially written, it sounds like the chance for back-to-back championship slightly edges out RR.

RR will be a cool event to experience. At least, this is my hope as I'm "racing" in Group 4 and expect to be the slowest car in this group with my 144 hp engine compared to 300+ hp in RSRs/934/935. But I'm in a different stage in my racing career/hobby. I did the competitive thing for a while with Formula cars in the 90s and I'm now just interested in experiencing cool (especially historic) cars.

As much as I'd like to see as many P fans at RR, a back-to-back championship is certainly an accomplishment that will stay with you for the rest of your life.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmmm.

Let's see, if JR comes to BW I get to race him close (hopefully), but it reduces my chances of winning contingency tires. (now that I have moved into his class).

If JR goes to RR, then I do not get to hang out with him, but it is much more likely that I win tires.

If JR comes to BW and I beat him (low probability) and his nemasis finishes 3rd then we both win. I like that.

However, since I vote with my wallet, I suggest JR goes to RR and Mobonic locks JRs nemasis in his trailer.

Problem solved.

While we want JR to repeat in 2011, we will do our best to stop a "three peat" in 2012.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Tough Decision About Rennsport IV.....