Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:01 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Another happy Apex customer, and they had the best pricing. It's a nice hat. I went from an Arai to a Stilo and have been happy so far.

Clark and Linda were excellent, considering how many options these helmets have you need someone knowledgeable on the other end.

Mine is set up with integrated speakers in ear muffs, water, radio, thin cheek pads, carbon peak visor and a top mounted air vent hose adapter that also delivers air to the brow (not installed in the pic). The chin strap is nice and long too, unlike in my Arai.
Nice pic. Can you post one with the top air installed? JClark's comment makes me wonder if that would be a bad choice. It was my first choice with the Arai but they only do left or right side mount.

Nice to hear positive things. I plan to try these on this weekend. If they fit my head and neck, I will cancel the Arai order and get one of these with air, electronics and water. Nice to have all options built-in.

Thanks to everyone for the input. Big help.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 PM
JClark
Instructor

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Nice pic. Can you post one with the top air installed? JClark's comment makes me wonder if that would be a bad choice. It was my first choice with the Arai but they only do left or right side mount.

Was just an observation and definitely wasn't a deal breaker for me. Should reiterate that everything else about the helmet and options is top shelf.

I assume it works ok. The only guy I know with the top air setup had nothing to compare to. I cant imagine it works as well as the new Bells with the air bladder thing though.

Two of the holes in the top of the helmet are inside the air channel, but I'd imagine most of it goes down in front of the shield.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:16 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Stilo is definitely my next helmet. Top notch quality and features, very durable, and very light. Pricing is spot on for what you get too. A lot of the optional features are not really needed for amatuer racing, but they do come in handy. Obviously if you're enduro racing or pro...you can see how all the pro's are taking advantage (lots of big names converted to the new stilo's).

Just a side note, in response to some posts in this thread, HMS is the exclusive importer for north america for Stilo.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 PM
pcbloom
Advanced

Damn, and i just ordered an Arai GP6 after bouncing back and forth between it and a stilo. Oh well...
Old 09-09-2011, 12:55 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pcbloom
Damn, and i just ordered an Arai GP6 after bouncing back and forth between it and a stilo. Oh well...
I went with a GP6 (and was lucky to get one) and can't be happier with it. Good choice.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:48 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
I went with a GP6 (and was lucky to get one) and can't be happier with it. Good choice.
Can't go wrong with Arai, I have 6, and one Stilo.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a Stilo ST4F 8860 w/ the integrated electronics / ear muffs, hydration, top mount air, and eject system. I like it, a lot.

-mike
Old 09-09-2011, 09:24 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Can't go wrong with Arai, I have 6, and one Stilo.
How many heads do you have??!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:43 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
How many heads do you have??!
Hey, my wife buys shoes, I get helmets. I wear them once and then toss to my adoring fans.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Well, I tried on a Stilo Large (59CM) this weekend. The helmet is very nice and the options make it a top pick.
But, I was not able to easily put me glasses on. The helmet fits snug and the ear muffs further close off the opening to slip the arms of the glasses behind my ears. The arms of these glasses, like most, are slightly curved inward. I'm sure I will break them if I put them on more than a few times. I think, if I had a pair with straight and flexible arms they would work.
I have a pair of Wiley-X goggles with prescription lenses that have flexible arms. They were easier to get on but they fog up and are not wearable.

Does anyone have this problem? What is the workaround? I guess I could try the X-Large (61CM). I am disappointed because I like this lid and Arai just can't get it together with delivery.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Well, I tried on a Stilo Large (59CM) this weekend. The helmet is very nice and the options make it a top pick.
But, I was not able to easily put me glasses on. The helmet fits snug and the ear muffs further close off the opening to slip the arms of the glasses behind my ears. The arms of these glasses, like most, are slightly curved inward. I'm sure I will break them if I put them on more than a few times. I think, if I had a pair with straight and flexible arms they would work.
I have a pair of Wiley-X goggles with prescription lenses that have flexible arms. They were easier to get on but they fog up and are not wearable.

Does anyone have this problem? What is the workaround? I guess I could try the X-Large (61CM). I am disappointed because I like this lid and Arai just can't get it together with delivery.
I have the same problem. I have to wear my glasses with flexible metal temples, my other glasses with plastic temples are tight and take some pushing to get on.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:57 PM
dan360
Advanced

I wear glasses and have found the main issue being to get the glasses inside the headsock. I have two types both of which are OK with my Stilo - one is a set of flexi-titanium which are just wire frames, they are flexible and a bit fiddly to get into the helmet but not especially more so than with my GP5. I also have a pair of hard sided sunglasses which don't have much loop over your ear and they slip right in very easily.

I found that I always struggled to drive with the visor down in a sedan as my glasses tended to fog up, fine in an open wheel car, but inside the car not so good. I just bought the short visor that Stilo offers which has a small gap at the bottom. My glasses no longer mist up with the visor down.

While in a fire this is a less safe option than a full visor, I figure its better than a visor that's up and will catch flames, and its something I don't have to think about when I'm trying to get out of the car.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Stilo ST4GTW

For anyone considering a new Stilo helmet..... we have them in stock in both composite and carbon fiber. We have been trained at HMS to customize the helmet to your specifications adding electronics, hydration or air components.
For more information here is the link http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...ag=3&brand=123
or call us directly at 866 505 2739

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 09-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

+1 on the Stilo ST4GTW

This is the helmet I have switched to from a Bell this past season. I love the helmet and having everything built in. With the radio plug on the side and the cord they use it makes it easy to switch between an IMSA radio connection or a NASCAR style connection. The TFA (Top Forced Air) looks a little hokey as Jesse mentioned but works as good as the TFA on a Bell (my old helmet). I use earplugs with mine since I already had two sets of custom plugs when I bought the helmet. The integrated water tube is a big hit with me as it keeps me from drilling a hole in my helmet to add a tube to it. Plus it puts it in an easy location to hook it up quickly in a driver change.

Here are a couple of different shots of my helmets:

Old 09-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Is that first fire suit SFI rated?

Marc

Quick Reply: Feedback: Stilo Helmets