Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not just another towing thread: Cultural Relativism?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:00 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I love showing up to Mid Ohio with my little open trailer and all my tools loaded in the back of the truck. Its almost always the smallest rig and I can squeeze it into some the small leftover spaces inbetween the big trailers in the lower paddock
Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too prefer the simplicity of the "euro tow".. I also think part of it is that in the US, cars just don't get rated to tow. They (the manufacturers) want you to buy the large SUV/Pickup rather than use a large sedan to tow anything. If there is a "tow rating" on a car, its typically 1500lb. Then, most Minivans/ soft roaders get rated to 3500lb, so it takes a RWD/4WD SUV to get the 5000lb ratings.

I also agree in the US the "bigger is better" approach to life surely is another reason. For some reason, Euro folks are willing to drive 50-60mph towing but in the US, folks seem entitled to tow at 80mph with no worries that they won't actually stop in time if they needed to.

Admittedly, most US sedans are now FWD, but I would see no issue towing with a Crown Vic/TownCar/MB Sclass etc. They are easily just as "big" as an SUV from a weight perspective, especially if towing a lightweight trailer. Certainly have enough HP/TQ and in the German car scenario, enough brake. Trans might be a weak link, but frequent maintenance and an additional cooler would do the trick.

Back in the 1980s, after my folks sold the RV, they simply added a trans cooler and custom hitch to their '74 MB 450SEL sedan. Worked fine towing a trailex, with 911 or 914 and with 2-3 people in the car. Cooler in the trunk. Done.

For me, since I grew up with a "towing family" I fully rejoice in the idea of driving my "track" car to, from and at the event instead
Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
How many 5+ hour tows with 4000+ ft mountain climbs does the average US vintage club racer do in a year?
Maybe not many in Florida, but my clubs "home track" is 3.5 hours away with a 4000ft climb up a steep grade, almost all of the other tracks are even further away. When you are in the middle of the desert hundreds of miles away from any decent shop and you have paid a lot of entry fees to be there it's nice to be self sufficient when something goes wrong. I agree that some can go overboard and we have talked about scaling back ourselves recently.

But if people didn't bring big trailers and rigs to the races who would you guys with minimalistic set-ups go to when you need parts and tools?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
But if people didn't bring big trailers and rigs to the races who would you guys with minimalistic set-ups go to when you need parts and tools?

Not a week goes by that someone does not walk over asking about some spare parts or tools. Last time out it was a 944 Turbo guy looking for a lower radiator hose. I had 3 in "stock", but these were for the NA cars and not if the Turbo. Then there was a honda looking for nut/bolt for his sway bar. Showed him my 3 spare nut/bolt coffee cans and told him "start looking". He finished the weekend without issue.

That does not even bring up the people that hand out under my shade.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I have 24" push broom in my trailer. Good for pushing sand dirt out of the trailer. Remember I live in the desert and sand/dirt is a constant around here. No ladder though.....
What? No Dyson
Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
What? No Dyson
No, but a crockpot and rice steamer for curry...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:07 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Maybe the Brit doesn't do as many as here but still it can be plenty, especially the historic guys who travel between different countries.
Which means putting your car+ on the Eurotunnel, which isn't exactly huge. Last time I was at a Spa track day, not a race day true, this is how one GRRC member brought his Goodwood Spring Sprints winning car to the event. Everything else he needed for the weekend was in the Bimmer. And the facilities at most Euro tracks are very good. There is plenty of shade/shelter from the rain, garages, comfortable places to sit down, food and drink to purchase at a reasonable price, etc.
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I will post some pics of what shows up at Tremblant for PCA DE days.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm sure we'd all be making more of an effort to travel light if gas was $8/gallon like it is in Europe.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine pulled a ladder out of his trailer to use in putting his awning on. If I have to bring a ladder to the track.. I quit.
Comment of the day.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:38 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

when i started drag racing i towed my 3700lb buick gs with my dads lincoln town car, man we were stylin back then.

plus i only bring one tent but extra chairs for friends or fellow racers who want to share a beer at the end of the day.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwane
I will post some pics of what shows up at Tremblant for PCA DE days.
Yeah, but those are HARD DE days.

And one hell of a rough, 60 minute ride from Montreal...

Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Got the idea from a 944 racer in Denver - I flat tow the car with a tow bar behind the wife's Honda Pilot. Would like to have a Trailex but no place to easily store + I'm cheap.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:14 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I'm sure we'd all be making more of an effort to travel light if gas was $8/gallon like it is in Europe.
Bingo
Old 09-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Europe options

They have some nice minimalist trailers in Europe.

A brand I'd love to see in the US. Brian James
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Not just another towing thread: Cultural Relativism?