Sponsored by:

bought a parts washer; solvent question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:05 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
Default bought a parts washer; solvent question

I've wanted a parts washer, and I found a nice used Safety Kleen 30 gallon. It came from a shop, and was serviced the their "Liquid Gold" solvent.

Since it's just for home use, I doubt I'll be replacing solvent every year, but I have no clue how long it lasts. My friend is running kerosene, and it still seems effective after 10 years. So I was wondering if anyone knew what could be added to it as it evaporates over time. I looked on the SK site, and they don't seem to sell it, only service.

Would it be smart to add a filter to it? What kind would you use?

Thanks!
David
Old 09-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

Most solvents work for a long time, it's the dirt and crap suspended in it that creates a problem. You really want a filter as it will make the solvent last much longer. Do a google search, but you can basically use any polyester nonwoven batting (think sewing store) as a filter media.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:54 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

I went through the same search a couple years ago. Keep in mind that kerosene and most other solvents are more flammable and evaporate much faster than parts washer fluids. I use mine only occasionally, so evaporability was a significant concern. Also, in case you consider using some of the water-based solvents out there ... they're much "greener" to be sure, but recognize that they don't attack grease, sludge, etc. as well as petroleum-based solvents.

Scott
Old 09-06-2011, 01:20 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

http://www.chemfree.com/products/sw-28.html

I'm thinking about trying one of these in my business shop
Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would call Safety Kleen.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I went down this road about 6 months ago. Read many threads and decided to go with Simple Green (somewhat environmentally friendly). I really hated the stuff. Lots of odor and you had to rinse all aluminum parts quickly with brake clean, more obnoxious odor. I drained all the Simple Green, cleaned the tank and used low odor mineral spirits from the hardware store (recommended by a local garage). This stuff is much better at cleaning, almost no odor and doesn't affect aluminum or magnesium. Critical parts do get final rinsed with 3M brake clean, very low odor, because I am concerned that the solvent in the tank does get dirty pretty quickly.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Any votes for Kafko Oil Eater for a non-organic solvent alternative?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

I called safety kleen, and the "Liquid Gold" is there mineral spirits based solvent, and it sells for $10-15 a gallon. I thought I was low in solvent, but turns out I'm not, so I'll buy the same stuff from them when I need it.

They didn't know anything about filters, since they don't use any (most shops have to have their units refreshed yearly?). Any suggestions on where I could find a filter setup that would work? Also, I'd like to find a new plastic flexible spigot; any suggestions of where to look? Mine was lost, and SK only sells the whole assembly.

Thanks!
David
Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM
nosubt2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dave, Dave,Dave, how many times do I have to remind you, just call me and I will give you the right answer without wasting the worlds time on these questions
Mark
Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Found an answer to my filter question; might also be of interest to the DIYers:

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/20...-washer-filter
Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Mark, Mark, Mark.... I'm trying to save you for the really difficult things like plumbing under the house :=)
Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned a non SK parts washer for 20 years and SK has serviced it at my home for that entire time period.

I have the solvent changed about once a year.Costs around $150 for them to give me the new solvent and haul the old stuff away. Disposal fee's are probably the biggest portion.

They have a new solvent formula which is much more user friendly and less toxic.

Always important to me is wearing gloves and making sure you have a fuseable link on the lid in the event of a fire or mishap.

If you are rebuilding motors never rely on this for your final cleaning prep.

Hope this helps.Don't hesitate to call SK and have them come to your home for service.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tomburdge
I've owned a non SK parts washer for 20 years and SK has serviced it at my home for that entire time period.

I have the solvent changed about once a year.Costs around $150 for them to give me the new solvent and haul the old stuff away. Disposal fee's are probably the biggest portion.

They have a new solvent formula which is much more user friendly and less toxic.

Always important to me is wearing gloves and making sure you have a fuseable link on the lid in the event of a fire or mishap.

If you are rebuilding motors never rely on this for your final cleaning prep.
Hope this helps.Don't hesitate to call SK and have them come to your home for service.
I used to use hydrocarbon based solvents in the parts washer and kept some fresh clean in the can solvent for final wash of oil wetted parts. It was used over the washer or dumped in to top off the solvent.

Varsol which is cheap and easy to get works in parts washers. Disposal of worn out solvent can be the tough part. Filtering works to a point but after a while the solvent cannot hold or soften any more oils.

Water based solvents can be harder to dispose of. Best way is to use a service as needed unless you have a state or county service based type dump site.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:35 AM
mrindustrialist
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts/Die Washer Available (If you're interested)

We have a Better Engineering Industrial Parts & Die Washer (model F5000) for sale, if anyone's interested. Just see the listing (with my contact info in the "details" section) here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Industrial-P...item336b92e011

Quick Reply: bought a parts washer; solvent question