TURKEY HAS BEEN AXED

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Going to see an F1 race live at Spa is on my bucket list.
DRIVING Spa is on my bucket list.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:38 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Was based near Paris for a while and was fortunate to go to a few tracks.

Magney Cours is in the middle of nowwhere and passing is only possible in 2 places; Adelade corner and the pits

I guess Im old school; love Monza, Silverstone, Imola, Canada, old Hockenheim and Le Mans.

why dont they axe Hungary?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:53 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Interview with T Hellmond in the Sept MotorSport mag....he said the track itself will be ready for 2012 but the rest will probably take until 2014-15.
Also said they'll be hosting rounds of MotoGP and Aussie V8s!

Gary
This is sensible. Nearly impossible to build a complete facility in such a short time. The track will not get paved until next spring or summer. It is nowhere near ready and the winter is about to set in. Asphalt is very sensitive to cold weather. Of course, we have to factor in the torrential rains that will hit Texas next year.

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I was thinking about this yesterday, wondering if I could sign up for an event and rent a car for a day. Spa is like siren enticing me into her sphere.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I was thinking about this yesterday, wondering if I could sign up for an event and rent a car for a day. Spa is like siren enticing me into her sphere.
Spa and the Nordschleife are fairly close to each other. It's possible to rent a car and run them both in the same week.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Still some big doubt about the USA race. It will be stretch to complete the facility in a year.
^+1
I've held this position since the announcement.
It will be the US equivalent to the Korea F1 race...homologation and inspection will pass at the latest possible moment, not 3-6 months prior.
Facilities will be bare minimum to F1 standards.
If the race is financially successful and viable, then the rest will be completed eventually, probably 2015 as stated earlier.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Same here. Wife & I have been talking recently how to make this happen..

This is sensible. Nearly impossible to build a complete facility in such a short time. The track will not get paved until next spring or summer. It is nowhere near ready and the winter is about to set in. Asphalt is very sensitive to cold weather. Of course, we have to factor in the torrential rains that will hit Texas next year.

Dude, please at least pretend you know what you're talking about. We are in the midst of the worst heat & drought this state has ever seen, and every long term forecast has it continuing at least another year. The risk is not cold weather or rains. It is more heat and more drought that will cause all new building permits for heavy water and power consumers such as hotels, etc to be put on hold.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dude, please at least pretend you know what you're talking about. We are in the midst of the worst heat & drought this state has ever seen, and every long term forecast has it continuing at least another year. The risk is not cold weather or rains. It is more heat and more drought that will cause all new building permits for heavy water and power consumers such as hotels, etc to be put on hold.
I hope we are both wrong. If either of us is correct, it spells another disaster for our country. I hope Texas starts getting some normal or slightly more than normal rainfall. I read a story about a red lake and water that has such high salinity it cannot be processed to potable levels. Also, about a town that trucks water in everyday and expects to be completely dry by march. Reasonable rain fall or desalination plants seem the only solutions.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be on every driving enthusiast's list. Well, well worth a trip/detour/etc. I did both the 'ring and Spa in the same month or two a few years ago. One you have to do, 'cos it's there. The other you have to do, 'cos it's the finest driving experience you'll ever have. All of this is IM(v)HO of course. YRMV.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:21 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts
Thumbs down

We are in the midst of the worst heat & drought this state has ever seen.
I watch the weather every day and I see Dallas over 100 deg. EVERY DAY...I don't know how you can stand it. It's been around 90 with high humidity in Buffalo the last couple days and I couldn't imagine another 10-15 deg. on top of that. Of course, you probably say the same thing from Dec-March!

Gary
Old 09-03-2011, 10:24 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Interview with T Hellmond in the Sept MotorSport mag....he said the track itself will be ready for 2012 but the rest will probably take until 2014-15.
This is what's going on at Silverstone (and Mosport for that matter--BIG construction as we speak) right now--a work in progress.

Gary
Old 09-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I watch the weather every day and I see Dallas over 100 deg. EVERY DAY...I don't know how you can stand it. It's been around 90 with high humidity in Buffalo the last couple days and I couldn't imagine another 10-15 deg. on top of that. Of course, you probably say the same thing from Dec-March!

Gary
Today will be our 80th day this year over 100 degrees F. The previous all time record was 69 days, set in 1925. Our average is 12. We have not had significant rain since late last October (10/10), and since then, we have fallen 21" short of normal rainfall, in just 10 months. The town has turned from brown and crunchy to white & blowing away. To be completely blunt, Austin has grown nearly uninhabitable, despite the self-promoting bleatings of the pretentious hipsters. 5 of the last 6 years have been the all-time hottest & driest, with this year as by far THE worst in state history.

Our sole water suupply is now down do 47% full...in just 10 months. And, if long term forecasts from NOAA are correct (and they have been for the last 10 years), and La Nina sticks around for another year, we are totally screwed. On Tuesday, our water supply organization will implement significant water restrictions that require 30% consumption cuts across the board. This will include large business users, which will lead to job cuts, as well as electricity generation, which will lead to major rolling blackouts as we deal with record heat. Which will also kill jobs. These are all things we have been directly warned about due to drought, not me making them up.

Needless to say, I am actively looking for a more habitable place to live.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 09-04-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: tyyypppoooosss
Old 09-04-2011, 10:31 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Austin has grown nearly uninhabitable,
Maybe one of the reasons they moved the race from June to November?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Absolutely.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

This decision must be based on $$$ and Bernie not getting enough so they said where out?

Quick Reply: TURKEY HAS BEEN AXED