TURKEY HAS BEEN AXED

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011 | 03:15 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default TURKEY HAS BEEN AXED

Official: Turkey dropped from 2012 F1 calendar
31 August 2011After seven years, the Turkish Grand Prix has been removed from the Formula 1 calendar. The much anticipated news was confirmed on Wednesday as governing body the FIA issued a revised 20-race schedule for the 2012 season.

Turkey made its debut in 2005, with Kimi Räikkönen winning at the brand-new Istanbul Park for McLaren. Three years later, the race switched from its August slot to an earlier date in May and this year’s edition saw a Red Bull one-two for Vettel and Webber.

The modified version of the calendar, as per a fax vote between members of the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council (WMSC), sees the season start in Australia on 18 March before climaxing in Brazil on 25 November. With the British Grand Prix on 8 July, the returning United States event has been shifted to the penultimate slot on 18 November.

After being called off due to political unrest in 2011, the Bahrain Grand Prix will return from Sakhir on 22 April. Also, the summer break increases in length from three to four non-race weekends, meaning there will be no F1 event for the entire month of August.

The revised 2012 F1 calendar is as follows:

1 Mar 18, Australia
2 Mar 25, Malaysia
3 Apr 15, China
4 Apr 22, Bahrain
5 May 13, Spain
6 May 27, Monaco
7 Jun 10, Canada
8 Jun 24, Europe
9 Jul 8, Great Britain
10 Jul 22, Germany
11 Jul 29, Hungary
12 Sep 02, Belgium
13 Sep 09, Italy
14 Sep 23, Singapore
15 Oct 07, Japan
16 Oct 14, Korea
17 Oct 28, India
18 Nov 4, Abu Dhabi
19 Nov 18, United States
20 Nov 25, Brazil
Old 09-01-2011 | 03:42 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Yeah, saw that yesterday. What a shame, the one and only Tilke track that's actually good..
And Spa only every other year... Things are continuing to go to the "right" direction...
Old 09-01-2011 | 03:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
What a shame, the one and only Tilke track that's actually good..
And Spa only every other year... Things are continuing to go to the "right" direction...
+1 on both. The Spa decision is truly retarded.
Old 09-01-2011 | 04:05 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

IIRC, Spa has a contract through 2013 and then it'll probably go every other year with Magnicours. From a F1 Political point of view, you need a race in France, and it's a good track, but nothing is on par with Spa.

VR, Spa was not a "decision", per se the event is not making money. Either Bernie is taking too much or they're not charging enough, but it's a pure money thing.... nothing new here..... as Turkey was axed because they didn't want to pay Bernie a higher appearance fee and India, Russia, were.
Old 09-02-2011 | 10:42 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Going to see an F1 race live at Spa is on my bucket list.
Old 09-02-2011 | 01:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pete
IIRC, Spa has a contract through 2013 and then it'll probably go every other year with Magnicours. From a F1 Political point of view, you need a race in France, and it's a good track, but nothing is on par with Spa.

VR, Spa was not a "decision", per se the event is not making money. Either Bernie is taking too much or they're not charging enough, but it's a pure money thing.... nothing new here..... as Turkey was axed because they didn't want to pay Bernie a higher appearance fee and India, Russia, were.
There is nothing France has to offer that I need nor want ... surrender monkeys hosting an F1 race means nothing.
Old 09-02-2011 | 02:26 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
There is nothing France has to offer that I need nor want ... surrender monkeys hosting an F1 race means nothing.
No arguement from me But you have Todt Pres of FIA Renault etc. Spain could give ip one of their 2 races .... Preferably Valencia
Old 09-02-2011 | 02:35 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

No arguement from me But you have Todt Pres of FIA Renault etc. Spain could give ip one of their 2 races .... Preferably Valencia
BUT BUT Alonso would throw a hissy fit.

Spa needs to be on every year.
Old 09-02-2011 | 02:46 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Take Valencia, please. That is a boring race. I will miss Turkey though.
France is a good idea, but not at the expense of Spa; the best race on the calendar. France is heavily invested in F1 and I expect the fan participation will be very good. Better than the US.
India will be good for the sport. Can enough people afford tickets to make the race profitable or will a few big companies foot the bill for a couple of years then pull out and leave the race underfunded, i.e. Bernie takes his ball and goes elsewhere?

Still some big doubt about the USA race. It will be stretch to complete the facility in a year.
Old 09-02-2011 | 03:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Still some big doubt about the USA race. It will be stretch to complete the facility in a year.
I wouldn't be worried. They got a 5 month extension in terms of race schedule to help with any delays incurred with the granola type Austin city counsel members. Besides, VR already pledged to pick up a pick and shovel to make sure it's finished on time!!

Call me crazy, but I miss F1 visiting Imola. I know it's a little tight in terms of track width, but there's something about that track that talks to you. Don't know if its the farm house in the distance while on track, or the high curbing on the chicanes, or something else, but it has definitely got "character". The Tilke tracks seem too sterile (ie corporate) for my tastes.

Besides the great corners, Spa gives you a sense that you're going somewhere.

Never in a million years will the environmentalists allow ANYONE to be able to build at track in a forest like that
Old 09-02-2011 | 03:26 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Never in a million years will the environmentalists allow ANYONE to be able to build at track in a forest like that
Sure they will. When the cars are silent electric cars, the track can be made from 100% recycled materials, the stands are made of bio-degradable materials and [enter your favorite endangered species here] cross walks areas are designated.
Old 09-02-2011 | 03:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Utter BS.
Old 09-02-2011 | 03:59 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

^^^^^ You're obviously not in construction. I am only speaking from many years experience in the industry. Time overruns are the norm.

I don't have any specifics about your track, but 8 Ball says; "Outlook Not So Good".
Old 09-02-2011 | 04:11 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Utter BS.
How about an on the scene update- covert or otherwise.
Old 09-02-2011 | 08:03 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Interview with T Hellmond in the Sept MotorSport mag....he said the track itself will be ready for 2012 but the rest will probably take until 2014-15.

Also said they'll be hosting rounds of MotoGP and Aussie V8s!

Gary

Quick Reply: TURKEY HAS BEEN AXED